Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil pressure warning light

Taking my boat out for the year and I got several oil pressure warning messages. I was at least a mile out on an empty lake and had no choice but to keep going. The pressure was in the 60's and looked to be 3/4 up that gauge.

Does anyone know what normal pressure should be? Could I have damaged my new boat heading in?

A good rule of thumb for minimum oil pressure is 10 psi for every 1000 rpm.  So, for example, at 3000 rpm your oil pressure should be about 30 psi or more.  If there is less, there may be a problem.  Proper oil level is important.  If the level is too high or too low, you can have problems.  Use a synthetic or synthetic blend 5w30 oil, and change it regularly (every 3 to 6 months or 30 to 50 hours of use) to avoid fuel dilution.  Check the bilge for oil or signs of a leak.  The oil pressure sender is on the bottom of your remote filter housing.  Actual oil pressure can be checked with a mechanical pressure gauge, available at any automotive parts store, and then checked against the dash reading.  Loose connections at the battery, port stringer power post, battery switch, block grounds or harness connections can cause all kinds of weird readings and alarms.  I would expect a 2017 malibu would still have warranty coverage, and it may be easier to have your dealer take care of any issues you are having.  Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, gobble said:

Taking my boat out for the year and I got several oil pressure warning messages. I was at least a mile out on an empty lake and had no choice but to keep going. The pressure was in the 60's and looked to be 3/4 up that gauge.

Does anyone know what normal pressure should be? Could I have damaged my new boat heading in?

Oil psi in the 60's when fully warmed up and towing someone sounds right on target and totally normal.  I would do as others suggested, check your oil level and then call your dealer and see what they recommend.

Thanks guys. I think the difference with this last run to the boat ramp is that I had the boat up over 5,000 RPM and maybe that set off the alarm? I'm taking it to the dealer this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a new one for me at least. My oil pressure warning ended up being too much pressure. The dealer said I ran the engine too fast when the engine temperature was only 119 degrees which triggered the warning. The oil was too cold and thick. This is the first time I'd ever gone that fast as I was just running the boat to the ramp end of season.

So the lesson is make sure you warm up the engine before going 30 mph.

Edited by gobble

@gobble:  My suggestion would be to change the oil filter, high pressure could damage the filter element allowing unfiltered oil to pass through the damaged area.  Emphasizes a note to use a high quality oil filter.

I observe numerous ski boats doing very little warm ups prior to running at event speed, makes me cringe so good note on your part.  One issue on warm up times for these boats is the constant coolant draw from a low temperature source, unlike a car with a radiator that warms the intake water up as the engine produces heat.

I noticed last week it took my boat a long time to warm up to temp. I swear I let it idle for more than 5 minutes, goosing the throttle every once in a while. Started to head over to my friends dock and noticed the oil pressure gauge was going too high so I had to slow it down. The temp gauge was still showing about 120 but I thought the oil would be up in temperature enough to plane out and have acceptable oil pressure. Wrong.