Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mice in boat!

CBray4

So we keep our boat in a shop type building on my brothers land. Last off season we had a short time that we had a couple mice in the boat. Any way to help deter the critters from getting inside? 

I've heard of moth balls and a few other options. Wondering if anyone has had any luck with keeping them away. 

Where are you guys putting your moth balls and dryer sheets? We have never done anything to deter them but we never had an issue until last year. It sucked! We do not want it again. 

27 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Moth balls and dryer sheets work.

D-Con might be a good idea too.

21 minutes ago, NWBU said:

My process has been moth balls, dryer sheets and taping the exhausts. And a handful of traps in the shop to keep the mouse count down.

Couple electric mouse traps baited with dcon is all I use and that kills a lot of mice.  I just make sure there is nothing hanging for them to climb up into the boat.  I don't put anything in boat

Edited by oldjeep

I tape over all of the entry points (exhaust, water intake, hull drains, etc.) and put about 8-10 SCENTED dryer sheets all around - front seat area, rear compartments, main seating area. 

I use a long thin board with a dozen mouse traps stapled to it just under the boat. Catch lots of mice and none in the boat.  Re-baiting is easier too with the board.

I put moth balls in plastic cups in the cup holders and moth balls on paper plates on the boat's floor.  I used three boxes of moth balls in my response, three in my pontoon and two in the Sea Doo.    I also use several trays of decon on the floor in my pole barn.  Everything is stored with regular mooring covers on.  No need to change out moth balls.  They still smell pretty strong come spring.  Have never had a problem with critters.  

I  used dcon, regular traps and glue traps.  Never had an issue in the boat.  But one horror story guess a mouse got caught on a glue trap last year went to get the boat out and I had caught half of a 6' black snake (back end was in the neighbors storage unit).  I hate snakes but hated i had to kill a black snake cause I guarantee he was eating well off the mice.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2017 at 2:01 PM, CBray4 said:

Where are you guys putting your moth balls and dryer sheets? We have never done anything to deter them but we never had an issue until last year. It sucked! We do not want it again. 

I use old mason jars, pickle jars whatever fits in the cup holders.  Put about 7-10 moth balls and two dryer sheets in each one.  I put about 10 jars throughout the boat.  Do not use plastic cups, the moth balls will melt through, found out the hard way.  The smell seems gone by the time we pull it to the river the first trip.