Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Morse Control Adjustment

Greetings:

Is anyone aware of a procedure to adjust (increase) tension on the Morse control handle. Mine is loose enough that I have to keep a constant grip on it or it will revert to vertical position. Nothing in my Morse manual speaks of this. Maybe an adjustment can (should) be made at the engine instead?? Thanks!

I used a square rod about 2 inches long and about 3 16th thick. I placed it on the throttle cable where its easy to get to under the driver dash and tightened it on there with a small hose clamp. Hardly any pressure was needed but it applys just enough drag to help hold the throttle in place at roughly 10 to 15 mph. Slower than that and it still snaps vertical but it provides enough drag as is now to keep me from having to hold the throttle in place with pressure. I still keep my hand on it most of the time when its that slow but i dont have to apply pressure.

williemon;

Thanks - good tip

Is the rod straight or does it have a bend in it? It would seem that a slight bend would more easily put resistance between the housing and the cable.

jk

It is straight and i used one worm type small hose clamp around it and the cable to apply pressure. I can only assume that the pressure will one day cause a rough spot on the inside of the cable so it might be wise to move it every year to a different spot. 

It is straight and i used one worm type small hose clamp around it and the cable to apply pressure. I can only assume that the pressure will one day cause a rough spot on the inside of the cable so it might be wise to move it every year to a different spot. 

I just used a typical cable clamp like so:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-Zinc-Plated-Wire-Rope-Clip-2-Pack-42594/205883055 (sized appropriately for your cable) and tightened on the fly until mine now holds at any speed, but isn't hard to operate.  It doesn't take much squeeze.

Another option is this from ski-dim:  http://www.skidim.com/CABLE-BRAKE-THROTTLE/productinfo/MOR044386/  but I was much too cheap to spend that much.

Mine is a 94 Morse MV-2 for reference, but should work for any throttle using cables.

• 7 months later...

Morse makes a small tension spring to put on the throttle.  Tried

putting one on and it did not help, but was told I need to use two

tension springs.  Will try that next.

Good luck finding them...I was told they no longer sell them, but they'll gladly sell you a new throttle assembly.  I went to my local spring store and just put in a thicker piece of spring material.  They weren't able to make the bends so I put it in strait and see what happens.  One thing is for sure, it totally changed the shifter feel; now a solid detent going into gear and also more friction for throttle movement.

Actually,  I just called and they sent the springs free for the Morse throttle control.  Early on they did replace

the entire control if they did not work after trying to repair,

• 3 years later...