Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goodmatt78

water coming out of drain and vent when MLS is full

I have a 05 VLX with 4 tank MLS and no extra bags.  I have noticed that when my tanks are full, the water comes out both the vent and drain holes in the side of the hull.  My ballast monitoring shows the tanks FULL, but I find it odd that the pressure required to push past he drain pump is exactly the same as when the Vents overflow.   I am guessing that the fill pumps may be pressurizing some small volume of trapped air?   When I turn off the fill pumps the blow by stops.

Any ideas?  This seems to happen on all 4 tanks to some degree.  

Thanks.

Edited by goodmatt78
typo

Completely normal. The aerator pumps will allow water to pass through them very easily. 

1 person likes this

Normal on my boat as well.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:26 AM, goodmatt78 said:

I have a 05 VLX with 4 tank MLS and no extra bags.  I have noticed that when my tanks are full, the water comes out both the vent and drain holes in the side of the hull.  My ballast monitoring shows the tanks FULL, but I find it odd that the pressure required to push past he drain pump is exactly the same as when the Vents overflow.   I am guessing that the fill pumps may be pressurizing some small volume of trapped air?   When I turn off the fill pumps the blow by stops.

Any ideas?  This seems to happen on all 4 tanks to some degree.  

Thanks.

add $40 electric ball valves (always closed) to the vent lines, wire them to pumps, when pumps are on they open, when off they shut automatically. this is upgrade i planned on last winter but didnt have my boat, so hope to get to it this year.