Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fix Crack in Board

CBray4

As the title says, I have a small crack in two of my boards. I have a Hyperlite Broadcast that has a very small crack in the nose, and a Slingshot Gnarwhal that has a small chip near the nose. I am not looking for any serious solutions.

I was wondering if covering the cracks with some super glue would keep water out of them or any other cheap-ish and easy solutions.

What have you guys used for your cheaper boards that you don't want to spend an arm and a leg to repair? Just a simple and easy solution. 

I used automotive clear coat I had sitting around to fix a scratch on a SUP before. I was in a little bottle with a brush, not a spray can, it held up fine. Superglue would probably work well too.

It's important to know what the board is made of. I used marine goop which is a two part epoxy resin on my inland surfer boards.  That's is what IS recommended. I suggest calling the manufacturer for their suggestions. My understanding is that the wrong chemicals can cause problems with the underlying foam/core material. 

On 10/11/2017 at 10:25 AM, wakedncsu said:

Speaking of fixing cracks...any suggestions to fix this?

uc?export=view&id=0BzFzZqYFD7KRanBUV3Rqb

uc?export=view&id=0BzFzZqYFD7KRcnJwNmg3b

yup gonna want to make sure you fill the whole void on the inside with epoxy resin you can get in small 2 part packages from a hardware store. Typically I will make sure its pretty packed full and try to get the inside to solidify before working on the exterior. Once I feel confident I didnt leave any voids inside that may lead to a future structural fail (larger crack same area) I will tape off the surrounding area and smear epoxy so that there is a good amount excess. Let it harden, sand it, and paint if you want.

<$30

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

yup gonna want to make sure you fill the whole void on the inside with epoxy resin you can get in small 2 part packages from a hardware store. Typically I will make sure its pretty packed full and try to get the inside to solidify before working on the exterior. Once I feel confident I didnt leave any voids inside that may lead to a future structural fail (larger crack same area) I will tape off the surrounding area and smear epoxy so that there is a good amount excess. Let it harden, sand it, and paint if you want.

<$30

I understand this to mean no fiberglass or anything.  You are saying just make sure the entire cut is filled with an epoxy and then sand it back down smooth?  What would be an appropriate epoxy to use?

If the boards are fiberglass, fix the board exactly how you would if it was a surfboard. Solarex, or Ding ALL can be picked up online or at a local surfshop (if you live on the coast) for 8-10$. 

Would this be considered a "medium to small crack"?  That is a cut.  A 4 inch cut straight through the board.  You can twist the board with no effort across it.  I have used Solarex for dings in boards with great success.  My concern with this repair is re-gaining the structural rigidity the board used to have.  It is on the side of the board that will primarily be pushed into the wave.  

2 hours ago, wakedncsu said:

Would this be considered a "medium to small crack"?  That is a cut.  A 4 inch cut straight through the board.  You can twist the board with no effort across it.  I have used Solarex for dings in boards with great success.  My concern with this repair is re-gaining the structural rigidity the board used to have.  It is on the side of the board that will primarily be pushed into the wave.  

Probably will have to reinforce with cloth first then use the solrez epoxy to seal it all up.

4 hours ago, wakedncsu said:

I can't see the pictures for some reason

I especially don't like this thread now. My brand new soul craft flew out of the boat and got dinged up. Jeff is sending me a repair kit. He uses epoxy, not polyester. That is a sickening feeling when you see your board lift off and fly away. 

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

Edited by isellacuras
  • 2 weeks later...

All better. You can see the little discoloration but I did put a little red paint under the epoxy. It's smoooooth. I got this repair kit directly from Jeff at soulcraft.  Had all I needed to do a perfect repair. Dude has some really good customer service.  Can't say enough good things about soulcraft.  

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 8:26 AM, wakedncsu said:

what I would do is to remove some of the board about an 1/4inch or so on each side of the board where the crack is.  extending about 2in each side of the crack.  then lay up fiberglass and resin or epoxy.  sand and finish.  the fiberglass mesh on each side of the board will give it the strength required when shoving off in a wave. I am not a fiberglass guy but that is how I would approach it.  remove material so glass can be layed up to original thickness of the board.