Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hyperlite Shim - 2015 vs 2017 - BIG Disappointment

The Hulk

I picked up a 2016 Shim, same as yours for my wife early last year as a trade for a Gnarwhal, she liked the looks, big mistake. The first thing I noticed was the weight difference in comparable boards. Any way she got up on it with the 3 fins and liked it at first. Then I rode it and thought it was stable but a dog so I ended up with it set up with just the center fin. Loser and a bit more drive, but still kind of meh. She liked it a little more but... So she finally decided she would try my P5 Trident Carbon Pro set up as a twin and won’t ride anything else now. Granted polar opposite boards, but the weight or lack of it does make a difference. So now the Shim has ended up as the progression board after the HL Landlocked should be called the Langlog for the newbs and she’s wants another P5 of some sort.

• Like 2
On 10/5/2017 at 12:16 PM, Stevo said:

phase 5 swell 2018! New design 1lb lighter than last year. Flex tech foam, similar foam used in the 1200$ hyper light varial.

31 minutes ago, wdr said:

I picked up a 2016 Shim, same as yours for my wife early last year as a trade for a Gnarwhal, she liked the looks, big mistake. The first thing I noticed was the weight difference in comparable boards. Any way she got up on it with the 3 fins and liked it at first. Then I rode it and thought it was stable but a dog so I ended up with it set up with just the center fin. Loser and a bit more drive, but still kind of meh. She liked it a little more but... So she finally decided she would try my P5 Trident Carbon Pro set up as a twin and won’t ride anything else now. Granted polar opposite boards, but the weight or lack of it does make a difference. So now the Shim has ended up as the progression board after the HL Landlocked should be called the Langlog for the newbs and she’s wants another P5 of some sort.

Ahi , wife snd I ride the 53” as a twin with the small rear fins in front fin beds , super durable with the shark skin , it rips here she is on it

https://www.facebook.com/david.posey.756/posts/748404252018702

By the way the 56 was a dog

Edited by granddaddy55

Weight makes a huge difference! 2lbs is a tone when your talking a board. A lot of the reason the high end custom boards are EPS foam, durability is low but so is weight making them perform 100's that of the heavier "big brands" boards.

It is pretty normal to go back to what you know and what you like. This generally occurs once people decide to get a real board and not an off the shelf pop out. For most it is such an eye opener that they are sold on a USA made custom or custom style board from then on out.

Both shims are foam cored and compression molded. It is possible the newer ones started with a denser core or varied layups of fiberglass under the plastic (dura) shell.

Buoyancy is one of those factors that has a lot to do with how a board feels, amongst countless others. In general aside from surf, skim and hybrid style boards, surf style and hybrid surf style boards fall into two main categories. They are set up to either ride in the wake or on top of the wake.

Skim boards are generally set up to ride in the wake, digging a rail for control. To some extent this can overlap to hybrids. Boards that ride in the wake are great for surface maneuvers and a like. When set up with uniform and near uniform volume head to tail they are great for rotational moves.

Boards that ride in the wake tend to be less adapt for big aerial maneuvers. They simply carry too much water up with them and have a more stuck to the water feeling to them.

There are trade off on all sides. Understanding the rider and what is likely best for a given rider is what true shapers do.

Nick  

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

@The Hulk As others have said,  it is time to move to a true custom.   Jeff at soulcraft makes a very nice board.   I have a flying mike and my son has a secret weapon.   You would be able to go much smaller on a custom likely 4'7  to 4' 10.  I moved to Sleigh boards last year,  my new board is 5' 0 and i am 6' 2" / 295 so no issue for you at 225 going sub 5'.

Pick a company or shaper, send them some video of you riding.  Then call and tell them exactly what you like/ dislike. Then from there they can create a shape that will do what you want it to.   You will be amazed in the difference over off the shelf boards.

My worry is I’ll spend 1000$ on a custom board, get it and not like it. At least with a top shelf board from a company like phase5 or inland, you can sell it fairly easily if you don’t like it. Although they are starting to hit the 1000$ mark these days. 

SC mock ups put deposit down today!

A4'2 Emily for her and 4'7  super AV for me

Bad news 3wks out.. so I need a board asap in a week when I drop the 25 in.

Looking for a skim now

Phase 5 mvp, graphics ehhhh soso has full Eva pad! :)

Victoria captain , not sure about the graphics there? Non full Eva pad :(

Victoria factor pcx, non full Eva pad :(

Knauk blunt, has full Eva pad :)

Chaos skim, non full Eva pad :(

Screenshot_20180501-213918_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20180501-213901_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
9 minutes ago, surfdude said:

My worry is I’ll spend 1000$ on a custom board, get it and not like it. At least with a top shelf board from a company like phase5 or inland, you can sell it fairly easily if you don’t like it. Although they are starting to hit the 1000$ mark these days. 

Yeah I just dropped 2k ouch, now still need a skim style Board.. blew 700 last year on a flop, now it's wall art for the cottage? Was so pissed Last yr and angry with a crappy board. Errrr wife is going to kill me when next card statement comes in.. 

40 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

@The Hulk As others have said,  it is time to move to a true custom.   Jeff at soulcraft makes a very nice board.   I have a flying mike and my son has a secret weapon.   You would be able to go much smaller on a custom likely 4'7  to 4' 10.  I moved to Sleigh boards last year,  my new board is 5' 0 and i am 6' 2" / 295 so no issue for you at 225 going sub 5'.

Pick a company or shaper, send them some video of you riding.  Then call and tell them exactly what you like/ dislike. Then from there they can create a shape that will do what you want it to.   You will be amazed in the difference over off the shelf boards.

Going to be interesting to ride a mini board! Previous HL shims were 5'3 to 5'4

3 weeks is not bad.  It took 8 to get my sleigh.   You will be shocked at how nimble those boards are.   Get yourself some decent fins for them as well.  Fins make a HUGE difference.  

10 hours ago, DarkSide said:

3 weeks is not bad.  It took 8 to get my sleigh.   You will be shocked at how nimble those boards are.   Get yourself some decent fins for them as well.  Fins make a HUGE difference.  

3wks is 1/4 our season! Ha I guess that's what I get for procrastinating

• Like 1

Yup 3 weeks is a quick turn around for this time of the season. Thats why I order my boards in December. I would worry less about board graphics on the skim boards and more about performance, cant see the board when its under water anyway.

Just ordered a Phase 5 mvp so I'll have something next week at least...

,still interested in the others but figured they will also take time to build decisions.. decisions.. 

• Like 1

Lol. I bought two customs this season before we even had 5 hours on the boat... whoops. 

5 wakesurfers, a wakeboard, slalom and sometimes a trick ski... I love big boats 

4 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I don't even want to think about how much trouble i would be in, ordering 3 boards in one month.  

I always get ones she likes to ride as well, we got 3 at surfest

• 2 weeks later...