Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hyperlite Shim - 2015 vs 2017 - BIG Disappointment

The Hulk

Had the wonderful 2015 hyperlite shim (yellow) for a few years, ive had a blast and found it to be one of the most buoyant and fast boards out there. 

well i did a dumb thing and tried to take a family member surfing on my board with me that was roughly 130 lbs + my 225 lbs... needless to say i couldnt get up, in the process of plowing i caved the top of the board so now it flexes and bends when you ride it....dumb move on my part .

so a week before the season ended i rushed to get a deal on the 2017 model (pink) went out and it was not nearly as good. seemed as if i was sinking in the wave, it had much less pop off the wave and i could not hit 360s... 

perplexed i took a closer look, same shape, same size...but wait...HUGE difference in weight. the newer model is MUCH heavier than the older model? i'm wondering if they added a few more glass layers or something or thicker dura-shell or whatever it is to prevent possible breakage like i did on my older model (although that was extreme situation) and user error on my part. 

upon closer look i noticed the lamination on the board wa done a hair differntly (at least on the two i have to compare) the newer pink model the bottom edge is razor sharp where the durashell on the bottom goes all the way to the edge. then from the top of board the lamination comes directly down to form very sharp corner. On the older model the lamination meets the other way so the very bottom edge has maybe 1-2mm tiny radius or bevel .. a macro image might show better maybe i can get one soon. 

so having a bright idea i took a razor knive and ran it down the edge of the new board to shave off the very sharpest bottom edge to give a 1mm bevel... went out and WOW what a difference! i could now spin without catching... Yea i know who would think it would change anything? but amazing difference. 

i guess i'm still PO'd that the board is so much heavier, its def not as buoyant as the older board. I cant quite surf as far back, and i can not pop off the wave as much, its a lot heavier to handle for sure. Now on the flip side i can do a controlled 360 much easier on the heavier board without over - rotating: i can NOT get as close on my 720 for some reason (perhaps because i'm spinning slower?) I have not measured weights yet but there is a noticeable difference in the hand (cant say how much right now) 

its hard to me to believe that a pound or two heavier board can make such a huge buoyancy difference? wouldnt that be the same as the rider "me" give or take riding with a full meal or empty stomach, i mean i fluctuate in weight more than what this difference in weight would be.  so i'm perplexed at the moment why the new rig is not nearly as good as the old if just a small weight difference? 

i can not surf nearly as far back on the new board so its major bummer on $450 spent. I ended up trying to fill the fin gaps by cutting some old fins i had and plugging the holes. I did notice a significant difference that it DID help a bit, especially on the spins. i cant put my finger on it but i wish i had my old board and could fill the gaps on that and give it a go again.

Anyone have better insight? or anyone have a 2015 model 5'3" they want to sell?? name your price!

both boards were the 5'3 or 5'4 not sure why some sites have them listed as either or for the sizes 

hyperlite-shim-wakesurf-board-2015-4-7-.jpg

hyperlite-shim-wakesurfer-5ft-3in-17-zoom.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
3 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

you probably ruined it by using a razor blade on it. it's probably going to de-laminate in short order.

its not standard fiberglass lamination its the duracore, i was pretty careful to only cut that (before the seam)...dont really care though the board sucks compared to the 2015 model and its not like i can send it back, currently i have to invite one of the other people that has the 2015 models so i can ride theirs... i'll have to figure this out before spring hits...going to eat at me all winter....not sure if i will be able to get answers from hyperlite. wondering if there 18 model is any different or perhaps if the 16 year model was similar to the 15 but i can only find 17's/18s for sale ...

34 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Hulk - I learned on the same board. Now you need to try a Soulcraft.

Haven't wanted to use the shim since...

+1

get in the game. Email or call Jeff and he can walk you through some recommendations. Without meeting you or knowing more that what I have read, I’d say 

SC vooDoo 4-8 or 4-10

• Like 3
1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

its not standard fiberglass lamination its the duracore, i was pretty careful to only cut that (before the seam)...dont really care though the board sucks compared to the 2015 model and its not like i can send it back, currently i have to invite one of the other people that has the 2015 models so i can ride theirs... i'll have to figure this out before spring hits...going to eat at me all winter....not sure if i will be able to get answers from hyperlite. wondering if there 18 model is any different or perhaps if the 16 year model was similar to the 15 but i can only find 17's/18s for sale ...

Hulk - Interesting you say this.  I have a much older shim (2013?) and your shim has (had) larger thrusters and I always wanted to try it.  Loved that board.  Glad I didn't buy a new one.  

I ended up getting a Phase5 Model X and like it a lot.  It has the same profile as my old shim (which I still have) but its a little larger and faster.  Definitely a little looser.  Sounds like you might enjoy that edge which is a little more skim centric.  Most rounded profiles I ride that are surf style I struggle with (I'm more like 260#).  If you can demo a P5 model x, I would.

Maybe I just need to order larger thrusters on my shim?

Edited by pauley71
3 hours ago, Stevo said:

+1

get in the game. Email or call Jeff and he can walk you through some recommendations. Without meeting you or knowing more that what I have read, I’d say 

SC vooDoo 4-8 or 4-10

Don't know if that would be a little bit too small typically I'm on a 5'3 as I'm 225 lbs dry.ha smaller board would be great for maneuverability I just not sure how well they would hold me

3 hours ago, Stevo said:

+1

SC vooDoo 4-8 or 4-10

Any recommendations on the differences between them

Definitely upgrade to a better board.. you have probably outgrown the pop-out boards.. You will be amazed on the difference and as  @Stevo said.. a 4-8 or 4-10 board would be plenty for you... you can also check out DoomsWell https://www.doomswell.com/collections/2017-wakesurf-boards.. The Neo would be close to the style board you already ride... but if you are concerned about size.. check out the El Jeffe... It is  cruiser like you.. and should support a cooler on it so you won't need to surf close to boat for refills :cheers: @85 Barefoot 

Edited by kerpluxal

@The Hulk I ride the 4-10 HC -pro (don’t make that board any more) but the VooDoo  is the board that took its place.

for reference I’m 6-4 240 ish depending on what was for lunch and how many beers left in the cooler.

if I was concerned the 4-8 would be to small go with the 4-10 ,

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

Don't know if that would be a little bit too small typically I'm on a 5'3 as I'm 225 lbs dry.ha smaller board would be great for maneuverability I just not sure how well they would hold me

Apples and oranges comparing with factory boards.  Jeff can make a board longer or shorter or thicker or thinner to accommodate your height and weight.  

5 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Hulk - Interesting you say this.  I have a much older shim (2013?) and your shim has (had) larger thrusters and I always wanted to try it.  Loved that board.  Glad I didn't buy a new one.  

I ended up getting a Phase5 Model X and like it a lot.  It has the same profile as my old shim (which I still have) but its a little larger and faster.  Definitely a little looser.  Sounds like you might enjoy that edge which is a little more skim centric.  Most rounded profiles I ride that are surf style I struggle with (I'm more like 260#).  If you can demo a P5 model x, I would.

Maybe I just need to order larger thrusters on my shim?

I only rode with fins once a few years back.. since I've only ridden with midle small fin 

I've been tempted to get the X from what I've read on here.. but now considering something custom.. hard to swallow my new worthless $450 wall decoration.. so spending 800-1k for the possibility of the same situation has me worried.. I'm still very tempted in the x though!

Again I just can't get over the buoyancy Factor difference between my two shims with a little weight difference of the board there has to be something different.. the profile shapes and are everything are near identical except for the small weight difference which seems to be a lot but it's weird how can a little bored weight be different than rider weight I ie a few pounds here and there ... Anyhow this is going to be killing me all winter long... 

24 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

I only rode with fins once a few years back.. since I've only ridden with midle small fin 

I've been tempted to get the X from what I've read on here.. but now considering something custom.. hard to swallow my new worthless $450 wall decoration.. so spending 800-1k for the possibility of the same situation has me worried.. I'm still very tempted in the x though!

Again I just can't get over the buoyancy Factor difference between my two shims with a little weight difference of the board there has to be something different.. the profile shapes and are everything are near identical except for the small weight difference which seems to be a lot but it's weird how can a little bored weight be different than rider weight I ie a few pounds here and there ... Anyhow this is going to be killing me all winter long... 

My local Phase 5 guy sent me home with three boards (Wire, Race and Model X).  I'm not a big fan of buying things I can't ride first..

33 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

Jeff just built me a 5'0" voodoo. Loooove that board. He made it a little thicker and a little wider than normal. If you tell him a little about you, he will take that into account. I was worried about not being able to ride before buying but it is not an issue. Everyone I know that has a SC, loves it. As much as you dissect every aspect of the wave, I am surprised to hear that you don't ride a custom board. It really is night and day difference. 

how does it ride?  I don't think I've see a review?

5 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

how does it ride?  I don't think I've see a review?

I did a quick review in my "finally joined the soulcraft family" thread but not much more to say than it rides awesome.  I mean, it's made for me and my wave.  I gained 10' of wave so, yeah, was a good purchase.  Maybe The Hulk could be riding 40' back? I came from a couple inland surfer boards which makes some pretty decent boards. I can only imagine what it would be like to go from a hyperlight shim to a soulcraft. @The Hulk, if you want to maximize your wave, get on the phone with Jeff and get a board ordered. Tell him isellacuras, stevo, shawndoggy, darkside, NWBU, kerpluxal and a bunch of other malibucrew guys sent you. It's well worth it. Especially if you're a bigger guy. 

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...

Boored today, considering a new board, just mad about this still.. 

I took a look at both boards today they are basically identical.. 98-99% except one thing... Weight

Old board 5.60 lbs and new one is 7.00-7.20 lbs..

Broke old one trying to take another rider on my board that was probably 120-130 lbs and couldn't get up and plowed to hard.. dumb mistake aparenrly 350lbs plowing isn't good ha. 

It just seems odd that the heavier board seems so sluggish maybe it is the extra weight trying to maneuver but why is it so much slower on the wave?? I mean seriously less than 2 lb in my belly or less than few lbs on the board weeight why does it feel like the heavier board doesn't float as much.. just feels like it's dragging in the water.. evening surfing with a 40lb kid on my old board felt faster than the new board without a kid on with me.. crazy that board weight is such a big drag.. 

Any thoughts to this or is it just in my head ?

20180409_145816.jpg

20180409_143944.jpg

20180409_144053.jpg

20180409_145723.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 1

I had the first year inland flyboy. It surfed like a dream, but finally failed because of heel dents. Bought a 4 year newer one and first thing I noticed was more weight!  Like a pound and a half! Did not surf near as well. I think that they sacrificed weight and performance for less warranty returns!

Edited by surfdude
20 minutes ago, surfdude said:

I had the first year inland flyboy. It surfed like a dream, but finally failed because of heel dents. Bought a 4 year newer one and first thing I noticed was more weight!  Like a pound and a half! Did not surf near as well. I think that they sacrificed weight and performance for less warranty returns!

I'm sure that's the same thing here, Bottom line is the less than 2lbs makes a huge difference.. I'd pay extra for a light one again, and buy one ever 2yrs if I had to