Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing older Response Direct Drive - How many do it yourselves?

sunvalleylaw

Just now, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Do you recommend I summerize, cycle engine over, and rewinterize?

No.  No reason to do that.  Fogging the cylinders for winter layup isn't really needed.  Spraying into the intake would have gotten some fogging oil into the cylinders anyways.  And there isn't anything you can do about the oil you sprayed into the intake.

Can anyone tell me why only thing required for the transmission winterization is draining the tranny cooler? Is there a pump in the tranny that pumps to the cooler? I see 2 lines going to and from but the manual only said to drain the cooler

On 10/1/2017 at 6:16 PM, sunvalleylaw said:

Here is the port side manifold that I also drained.

IMG_6608.JPG

I pulled the drain plug I broke and found there is some rust and gunk in there.  I guess not surprising for a 1998 motor.  This pic was after I pulled some rust chips out of there.

IMG_6610.JPG

Ok, this year, it was getting cold and I had to go out of town so I drained everything, to come back later and finish.  In doing so, I broke the above piece, leaving the threads in the manifold.  Got the remainder out, but screwed up the threads a bit doing so.  Bakes sent me the wrong size petcock so I found a 3/4" brass plug from the hardware store I can get in there well enough to finish changing oil and finish winterizing, including adding coolant, as there is enough rustiness coming out of the manifold that I want to.  I guess I will get a 3/4" chaser and find the correct sized petcock and get that installed next year prior to operating out on the water.  But at least I can get it put away for the winter.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw