Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Beeping Dashboard Question

Eagle River Mike

I have a 2001 VLX with Monsoon EFI.   Ive had the oil pressure & knock sensor both go bad (at different times) and replacing those units did solve the problem

lots of good advice & information (above) in this thread, which I am sure I will need <at some point> in the future.  I appreciate all postings & advice given!

19 hours ago, dlb said:

I had a similar beeping issue 4 or 5 years ago. It was the throttle position sensor starting to fail. It is located on the top of the transmission.  Had to take it to a dealer to figure it out.  They said when it goes the boat won’t go when you put it in gear.....

dlb, was this only at certain speeds or times of day (engine warm-up, etc.) or all the time?

It started as a one off, middle of the day.  Over about a month it increased in frequency, but never at start up.  I did all the usual trouble shooting, even cut the power to the beeper....

Finally I took it to the dealer, once they got to it...middle of the summer, they fixed it.  No beeps since.

On 9/21/2017 at 12:02 PM, formulaben said:

Go to top

On 9/21/2017 at 12:02 PM, formulaben said:

BEEP CODES — the 4 maintenance items that can trigger the beeper are:

•  High engine water temperature (>203*)
  •  Low oil pressure (<6 PSI)
  •  High transmission temperature (>140?*)
  •  A diagnostics trouble code

ECMs are expensive IIRC.  I assume your water temp was showing normal?  I'd definitely check the tranny temperature and water temp switch (different than the one that goes to the dash) before anything else.  If they are original it's probably time to replace them anyway.

Where can I find the Water Temp switch or Tranny temp switch? Do you have part numbers for these parts. 

On 5/26/2018 at 6:36 PM, cWonka said:

Already replaced my knock sensor at the start of the season so I don’t think that’s it... but I am questioning why I paid $32 if you only had to handover $8.

cWonka:  Where did you find a knock sensor for $32 I was on Bakesonline today and they are $79.99. I cant find them any cheaper or does anyone have a cross number to order it in non-marine?

I just picked one up from Advanced Auto. I was led to believe it is the same part as the 1999 Chevy K1500 suburban with the GM 5.7 Engine.

20 hours ago, Betch said:

Where can I find the Water Temp switch or Tranny temp switch? Do you have part numbers for these parts. 

I don’t know where the thermostats are, I’ve just been using a HF laser thermometer each time out to check my temps at warmup when I check my fluid levels, and at cleanup when I’m getting out of the water. So far, perfect readings every time on temps and pressures. I may replace my oil pressure units at the end of the season and add an analog gauge, but I’m fine to just be proactively checking at the end of each time out for now.

Edited by cWonka

After further investigation today.

I changed the oil and filter, then I changed the knock sensor and fired the boat up. It ran at idle for with me revving the engine for about 5 minutes before I heard the beep again. Its three beeps with the first one sounding like a half beep, then a pause and 3 more beeps over and over. When it was under pressure this weekend at the lake after a while it goes to a consistent beep every second or so. 

I went back and looked at the oil pressure sensor and the two leads that come into them.  I am attaching a few pictures for reference.

This first image https://imgur.com/cTh9zv1

This is of the oil pressure sensor that has the brown wire on it and is located on the back side of the oil filter. If I take this wire off the lead the horn changes over to a consistent beep every second and does not stop. When I put the wire back on the horn goes back to 3 beeps then a pause.  Could this be the cause of the issue?

This image is of the more frontal wire off the pressure sensor https://imgur.com/4to6MAT

When I take this lead off it doesn't seem to affect the beep one way or another. Meaning it didn't start the beep and it doesn't stop the beep. I didn't see a part for the portion of the sensor.

Here is an image of my gauges while the beep is going off. Everything looks normal and this is how it was this weekend. This is at idle and after a few minutes, the beep starts and the gauges look like this. https://imgur.com/3dlBz0p

This is a picture of the oil pressure sensor from bakes as a replacement. I assume its the same part just different color. https://imgur.com/CqF7kSh

I just don't want to take it to Tommy's slalom if I don't have to because I'm sure it will $500-1000 for nothing.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Edited by Betch