Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Beeping Dashboard Question

Eagle River Mike

I have a 2001 Response LX with the Monsoon motor.  I have had constant dash beeps before.   Replacing the oil pressure switch has always fixed the problem.  This summer, I developed an intermittent beeping while running the engine at higher RPM's or under load.  If I Shut the motor off and restart,  the beeps are gone until I run the motor hard again.  I replaced the oil pressure switch again and it didn't fix the problem.   The Malibu dealers in my area went out of business years ago so I have been taking my boat to an dealer that is a certified Indmar dealer.  They are having trouble diagnosing the issue and they said the error codes they got were indicating it might be a bad ECM.  They want to wait until they have a similar boat in for service so they can swap the ECMs to verify that is the problem.  Is it possible for the problem to be the ECM when the boat runs perfect and the gauges all read normal?  Why wouldn't the codes tell them exactly what the problem is?  Do I need to drag my boat 5 hours to a Malibu dealership to get the problem properly diagnosed?

Thanks. 

From my amended No Start troubleshooting Guide:

BEEP CODES — the 4 maintenance items that can trigger the beeper are:

•  High engine water temperature (>203*)
  •  Low oil pressure (<6 PSI)
  •  High transmission temperature (>140?*)
  •  A diagnostics trouble code

ECMs are expensive IIRC.  I assume your water temp was showing normal?  I'd definitely check the tranny temperature and water temp switch (different than the one that goes to the dash) before anything else.  If they are original it's probably time to replace them anyway.

Edited by formulaben
updated Dropbox link
  • Like 2
  • 7 months later...
On 9/21/2017 at 1:02 PM, formulaben said:

From my amended No Start troubleshooting Guide:

BEEP CODES — the 4 maintenance items that can trigger the beeper are:

•  High engine water temperature (>203*)
  •  Low oil pressure (<6 PSI)
  •  High transmission temperature (>140?*)
  •  A diagnostics trouble code

ECMs are expensive IIRC.  I assume your water temp was showing normal?  I'd definitely check the tranny temperature and water temp switch (different than the one that goes to the dash) before anything else.  If they are original it's probably time to replace them anyway.

My issue is almost inverse, my 04 Wakesetter LSV (5.7 Monsoon) seems to echo the same beep pattern and pitch as the "key in on position", but only at continuous slow speed, low RPM. Removing the power to either Oil pressure senders yields no change in beeping. All gauges are reading normal and the Engine runs strong. Is there a way to check the transmission or water temperatures (apart from the dash gauge) or affordably check for a diagnostic trouble code?

eagle river, make sure your knock sensor is plugged in. 4 beeps then 4 beeps followed by a pause is the trouble code for the knock sensor.  So is 4 then 3.

Edited by electricjohn

A failed oil pressure switch or tranny temp switch will read (be) closed when something is wrong.  That's why unplugging (same as opening) them makes the alarm go away.

Dealer claims this issue has been fixed.  The ECM was recording a knock issue even though a knock wasn't present.  The dealership sent out the ECM and had the issue fixed.  I haven't had a chance to test drive boat yet since it was at the dealer.  I'll report back after I do.  Thanks for the ideas.

formulaben
35 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

eagle river, make sure your knock sensor is plugged in. 4 beeps then 4 beeps followed by a pause is the trouble code for the knock sensor.  So is 4 then 3.

Do you have a list of all the beep codes?

2 hours ago, formulaben said:

mefi 2,3, &4 only.  I stopped caring in '04.

4 hours ago, formulaben said:

Does your dash look like this?  It's the lower right gauge in circular 4-gauge cluster on the left.

2004-malibu-wakesetter-lsv-8.jpg

Not exactly but I do have he left gauge cluster and all levels are normal when it starts beeping at me. So I’d say voltage is 13 or whatever is normal. Is there somewhere you can put a volt meter to read an exact number?

23 hours ago, formulaben said:

No I didn't get a list of beep codes.  My issue was a constant beeping that would start when the engine was ran hard that wouldn't stop until the engine was turned off.

My 2000 Malibu Sunsetter LXI is doing this exact same thing. Just started. I removed the oil pressure wire and the boat still beeps when under a load or going 34 through the course. Fresh oil change, new impeller and I'm on my second ECM. I guess I can look at the transmission fluid level. Its never been changed. Mike did you fix your problem?

13 minutes ago, stretch68 said:

My 2000 Malibu Sunsetter LXI is doing this exact same thing. Just started. I removed the oil pressure wire and the boat still beeps when under a load or going 34 through the course. Fresh oil change, new impeller and I'm on my second ECM. I guess I can look at the transmission fluid level. Its never been changed. Mike did you fix your problem?

might try putting in a new knock sensor,  cheaper than an ECM.  

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, stretch68 said:

Stretch,  I haven't had the boat out yet but dealer says its fixed.  I will have it out this weekend.  I will post an update early next week.

Still beeping once a second from startup to 2500 RPM, then it stops. Boat is starting and running great. All gauges normal and all fluid levels normal. New oil, filter, Walter v drive oil, and knock sensor. Any new ideas? The beeping will drive you crazy!!!

10 hours ago, stretch68 said:

Mine was taken to a dealer and hooked up to software. An $8 knock sensor fixed it. Ran 35 off this morning too. Great day.

Already replaced my knock sensor at the start of the season so I don’t think that’s it... but I am questioning why I paid $32 if you only had to handover $8.

I put my 05' 21 xti in the water today and had the same issue.  When I get around 34 mph the check engine sound goes off.  I can also see that it is going off because the oil pressure is too high.  Can it be the oil pressure release valve?  I also read that it can be from a clogged oil filter or the wrong grade oil.  Any ideas?

Edited by 05wkstr21xti

Finally gave up and just cut the wire to the beeper. All gauges are perfectly normal on readings, depth and fuel are normal, used an IR thermometer to check temps on the head gaskets, transmission, and V drive (all 125-140*). Used the DIY MEFI method to jump the A and B terminals and the ECM just beeps 12 over and over... my near term plan is to terminate the wires into a spade/shovel connection that way I can reconnect them easily if their ever is a problem or I have to take it to the dealer for an actual issue... but it was nice to not have the constant beep.... beep... beep anytime we were under 10-15 mph (2500 rpm).

On 5/14/2018 at 2:42 PM, cWonka said:

My issue is almost inverse, my 04 Wakesetter LSV (5.7 Monsoon) seems to echo the same beep pattern and pitch as the "key in on position", but only at continuous slow speed, low RPM. Removing the power to either Oil pressure senders yields no change in beeping. All gauges are reading normal and the Engine runs strong. Is there a way to check the transmission or water temperatures (apart from the dash gauge) or affordably check for a diagnostic trouble code?

I’m having the exact same problem with my 2000 Response. The alarm stops once I give it some Throtle. What did you end up doing? 

I literally gave up and just cut the wire to the alarm. I disconnected the wire from all of the oil pressure sensors, replaced the knock sensor, checked and replaced all fluids, used a thermometer to check engine and transmission temps, turned off my depth finder alarm... nothing worked and I never could get a similar narrative on here. The beeping was equivalent to nails on a chalkboard at the end so I’m just going to wire it to a switch and next time I’m in the shop for a more serious issue I’ll have them take a look. My DIY MEFI just gives the “12” status code over and over so that was equally no help. When it started, my v drive had gotten water in it and wasn’t building pressure appropriately, but that was a six months and 15+ hours ago. I flushed the v drive and replaced with fresh oil and it’s been good, but the beeping has persisted. Good luck! I’ll be following your post incase you have better results than I did.

• 1 month later...

Like the rest of you I’m experiencing the 3 beep issues and your right it drives me crazy. I’ll try new oil and filter and new fluids I’ll also try new knock sensor when we get back. If anyone else has any other ideas which I’m sure there isn’t anything everyone else has tried please let me know

regards

I had a similar beeping issue 4 or 5 years ago. It was the throttle position sensor starting to fail. It is located on the top of the transmission.  Had to take it to a dealer to figure it out.  They said when it goes the boat won’t go when you put it in gear.....