Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time for a new (pre owned) Slolam boat

FlyNavy

Yet another one of these threads!  First off, until I can get behind one of these boats I'm interested in your impressions if you have skied behind them. I am ski wake sensitive.   I have a budget, $25K+/- $5K, depending on yr, options, ect....  I have been skiing the course for the last 15 yrs behind my 95' + 96' responses, 02'SN 196 and SN 200.  Have been on BOS and got some good info and thought of trying this site.  I only have local dealership support for Malibu and CC.  My friends and I ski at 32-34 mph and 22'-32' off.  No kids or wives involved anymore.  No towers, stereos, wedges.  I wish Malibu still made a CB  response.  My considered boats are now:

1.  Mid 2000's Response LX vs. LXI.

2. 2006+ SN 196.

My experiences with my former tugs are:

1. SN 200 was good but we (partnership)needed to sell it.  Even a 2010 is still out of reach $.

2. Loved the 95 response EFI enough to later buy a 96 as a rebuild.

3. Loved the 96 but am finished with carburation and minimal  HP.  Not wanting to go forward with a 20+ yr old boat.

4. SN 196 has a good wake at these speeds/line lengths but is there some better out there.  Subjectively speaking !

Looking forward to your thoughts.  Regards.

Edited by FlyNavy

'06 '07 SN196 will be hard to beat as a pure slalom tractor.  I'd add Centurion Carbon Pro to the list.  There is one in CA on ski-it-again at the top of your budget.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=40930

Edited by River Monsters
  • Like 2

There are quite a few to choose from if you have $20K to $30K to spend.  You could get a nice 2003 - 2006 LXi around $25K.  Real nice slalom wake.

oldjeep - you beat me to it.  That's a nice looking boat.  It was on there back in April when I was looking.  Probably get it for less at this point.

Edited by powbmps

@FlyNavy:  I have experience (open & course, 34/36 mph) behind all the vessels you note, it appears you have not had the opportunity to try an LXi.  Wake comparison between the Gen 1 ('03-'06) LXi & LX;  The wake on the LXi is softer, particularly the outer edge (the outer wake curl) which you tend to feel as a sharp bump on the LX, it is more of a soft roll on the LXi.  The table & dish is similar on both, but the LXi is a bit softer here also.  The LXi is slightly wider due to beam difference but that is hardly noticeable.  So, LXI is wider / softer, LX is narrower / harder (slightly lower at equal fuel levels).

The three options are excellent, 196 / 200 are both great slalom machines and probably contrary to some commentary on BOS, I don't necessarily put them way ahead of an LXi in terms of wake quality.  All slightly different, all really good you simply need to try at your line lengths & speeds to pick your favorite.  Carbon Pro also has a great wake if you are looking at all options.

Are you concerned about speed control brand, PP v. ZO?  That may target your search a bit.

Looks like any option in dark blue will suit you well, happy shopping.

• Like 3

I think you are looking in the areas you should be. The CC196, 02 till the last one are some of my favorite. Not weight sensitive like many boats. The Response  and Rlxi are a good target I would not count out 07 and newer but don't think they offer any gains over the pre 07. I think my 07 is very weight sensitive that being the most disappointing thing about my boat.  With that said my 07 is fine with three or four skiers. With a driver and skier you will need to weight the boat. Out of the boats you are looking at the MC has the hashish wake. Still not bad for an aggressive skier but JMHO the most felt. I also would look at a Carbon Pro if you can find them.    

Thank you all for your input thus far.  Here is what I think about your ideas.  I am steering clear of high time boats, (04' response w/1800hrs),  my ski partner has a 2001 sun setter so I know that wake already.  The 03' in Boise has my attention, the only issue is it's in Idaho and I'm in Boston.  The 04 response in Fenton Mi got my attention also.  I grew up in greater Detroit and have friends i often visit.  The amount of wear on the steering wheel and engine compartment looks strange though.  None the less, Oakland Township Mi posts a fare amount of ski boats, and I always need a reason to go visit.  Lastly, I must find a Carbon Pro to ski behind.  This boat was brought up often on BOS as having great slalom wakes plus Z.O.  While $30K is at upper end of the budget, I believe in value and not emblems.  Besides,let my kids take out college loans and free their father from more debt.  Keep them coming!

22 minutes ago, FlyNavy said:

Thank you all for your input thus far.  Here is what I think about your ideas.  I am steering clear of high time boats, (04' response w/1800hrs),  my ski partner has a 2001 sun setter so I know that wake already.  The 03' in Boise has my attention, the only issue is it's in Idaho and I'm in Boston.  The 04 response in Fenton Mi got my attention also.  I grew up in greater Detroit and have friends i often visit.  The amount of wear on the steering wheel and engine compartment looks strange though.  None the less, Oakland Township Mi posts a fare amount of ski boats, and I always need a reason to go visit.  Lastly, I must find a Carbon Pro to ski behind.  This boat was brought up often on BOS as having great slalom wakes plus Z.O.  While $30K is at upper end of the budget, I believe in value and not emblems.  Besides,let my kids take out college loans and free their father from more debt.  Keep them coming!

I wouldn't be worried about the steering wheel wear.  My friends '05 is worse.  That engine is the base 320 hp version.  Looks a little bare without the big plenum.  I'm in New London, NH (1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on which part of Boston), if you want to come up and ski behind my '03 with the 335 Monsoon (or an '05 with a transplanted 380 Hammerhead).  We also have a 2017 Prostar available for comparision.  He will probably pull it sooner than later, but I'll keep mine in the water as long as possible.  The up-tight Nautique owners up here already have theirs in storage ;).

Edited by powbmps

See if you can find a Sportster to ski behind. One of the nicest wakes for me and I have skied behind many brands over the years. We ski the course every Wed and have friends loving the wake at 22 to 28 ft off, 34 mph. I am at 15 off 30-32 mph and don't know the wake is there. Also a good barefoot boat.

6 hours ago, FlyNavy said:

Call and talk to Mike at IWS (208-467-7477) about that '03.  He ships boats all over the country and that boat can be had for a much better deal.  That's from the horses mouth.  It's consigned and the owner has health issues.  

Edited by ID AX