Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 23 LSV Ballast redo

Brichter14

In July I bought a 2010 23 LSV that does NOT have the front tank for the MLS system. I am planning a new system for this boat as follows....

One mushroom thru hull in the bilge by the Vdrive. This will Y to a reversible Johnson pump on both port and starboard side of the boat feeding a Fly High 750 lb bag in each locker. I will vent these by Y'ing with the existing hard tank drain lines.

One mushroom thru hull in front of the gas tank in middle access hole that will feed to a Johnson pump located either behind the sub woofer (I also have a heater so IDK) or in the Amp/Battery compartment. This will feed a quick connect  into the bow (coming out of the side storage compartment) to a Fly High 1000 lb triangle sack. All FILL/DRAIN lines will be 1" and the vent lines will be 3/4".

With this system full I will have 800 stock ballast, 2500 aftermarket and 1500 created by the wedge. 4800 lbs plus boat and weight. The boat has the monsoon 350 so I was planning on getting the Acme 2419 prop. All of this from wakemakers comes out to $2009.00 for the ballast system and the prop.

Does this sound like a good plan? Am I forgetting anything? I will post pics in this thread when I start working on it.

I did something very similar on my 2008 (same hull as yours) to what you're proposing and I've been happy with it for 2 summers. I have the stock bow tank so found I only needed 650 in the bow while running WM 820s (900 lb. bags) in the locker, but I list my boat and don't use a surf device like the mission delta.

This summer I went to running a walkway bag and like that much better since the bow is freed up and the weighting is just as good for the wave.

My RPMs using the 1235 prop and Monson 340 at low elevations are around 2600, and only get up to 3000 if I have a full boat or am running at 4000' elevation. But that's running listed, so RPMs would be higher if I was evenly weighting the boat for a surf device.

Wakemakers has a bag that is a little over 900 that is made for your rear lockers.  If you don't already have the 750's I would suggest the bigger bags.  You do not have to fill them all the way but the option is there.  I would also suggest 1" vent lines.  It really pushes on my vent line  when I over fill and I used 1" vent.  I think it would probably cause fitting problems with 3/4" vents.

Just suggestions.

I vented off of existing vent and drain lines with check valves so I would not have to drill a hole or buy more through hulls. I would also get in to the rear lockers and check for screws run through the aluminum rear seat frames. When the clowns assembled my boat, they ran the screws through back there and didn't QC anywhere. Unfortunately/fortunately I cut my hand during installation instead of the bag. Man I would of been P/O with a screw hole in my new 1100!