Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New T23! Need Ballast Help for Wakeboarding

robbennett

Picked up a brand new 2016 T23 this weekend. I'll post a pic as soon as I can figure out how without photobucket. 

Boat surfs really well without any effort dialing in the wave but I am a little disappointed in the wakeboard wake. I hope it is just user error and I also still don't have the bow bag yet. 

Current setup is factory hard tanks + 850 bags in the rear and 100 lead to balance out. Tried with the wedge and without but it seems really hard to plane off with it. The wake on my 06 VLX was always better than this with only about 2000-2500 in it and no wedge. 

Also open to prop suggestions. Current is a 2249

Thanks in advance for any help! 

I have a 2015 T23, didn't get to use it last year as it sat in the stereo shop and I was using a loaner T22 for a year and a half.  I am now going through the same thing that you are with the wakeboard wake as we added a number of batteries to one side.

Anyway, what speeds are you boarding at?  Ours doesn't like anything less than 22 mph and gets better after that.

For wakeboarding we do NOT use the wedge, at the rear we start by only filling the factory hard tanks.  Depending on the rider we sometimes fill the rear PNP bags to about half but end up with a pretty vertical wake.

Start by filling the bow sack and leave the center tank empty.

Start adjusting from there and see what works.

When we see a mushy foamy wake on one side we adjust weight (lead) over to that side.

We will also adjust the rope length depending on the rider's speed - but our boat doesn't like beginner speeds of 18-19 mph

Sorry that I couldn't be much of a help - but I do love our T23!  It replaced a beautiful Tige RZ4 that would NOT hold a solid wake.

The T23 is a gas guzzler and we are running the slightly underpowered 350 Monsoon engine.

The great thing about the Axis is how stupidly simple of a wakesurf machine it is, fill everything, add a little lead (depending on how many fat friends you do or do not have) drop the wedge, leave the fill pumps running and hit your goofy side switch.  We learned to add a couple of lead bags (100 lbs total) under the goofy side PNP to give it a little list to keep the surf gate from being buried.

We were at 22 this weekend which actually ended up being 23 according to the gps on my phone. Started at 65 and moved back to 70 almost immediately. The wake just wasn't as large or steep as I'm used to and I weighted as back heavy as I could. I guess it's just going to take tons of weight and I hope the 350 can push it. May have to pull the 2315 off my old boat and try it out as well. 

You are very right about how easy this boat is to surf. It really blew me away how well it surfs on both sides. The room in the interior is also great and I still haven't figured out a way to bang my head on the tower speakers.

I'll give it a couple more tries but I am not ready to give up wakeboarding yet. I'm sure I can get most of my money back out of it fairly easy if needed. 

I'll update here if I can figure it out. 

39 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

When I ran that heavy in my 2014 T22 I needed at least 300 extra bow weight to help plane out and to avoid porpoise. I used wedge.

So basically 300 lead on top of the bow bag or just 300? I think I will probably want to use the wedge to get the wake I'm used to 

Edited by robbennett

Took about 3700 pounds to get the wake right. You really have to add a ton of weight up front. Going to try my prop from the old boat which is a 2313 to see if I can get on plane with the wedge. 

• 2 months later...

Wakeboard wake this weekend:

2017 T23 409 motor torque prop

Stock ballast + PNP + wedge + 1100 ronix on the floor against the back seat + 850 in lead in the nose +  8 people.... was awesome

On 12/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, agarabaghi said:

Wakeboard wake this weekend:

2017 T23 409 motor torque prop

Stock ballast + PNP + wedge + 1100 ronix on the floor against the back seat + 850 in lead in the nose +  8 people.... was awesome

Wow I bet it was! I think the missing piece for me is the lead up front. What size bags do you have for PNP? I'm using 850 rears and a 675 bow triangle.

• 3 weeks later...

surf wave setup like that is not good, this was for wakeboarding.... 

there was only 2 of us so im not even sure i have any... lemme see...

I belive this was the day with 8 people on the boat so no triangle or middle sac, felt like it was bigger with the 2 extra sacs than the 8 people... but here you go