Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 lsv electronics

Slee

New to the forum and Malibu. Looking at the 23lsv and the g23. Don't think I want to pay the premium for the nautique so I think I found my boat. Took both out this weekend and don't think I can go wrong. Question is how do the touch screens hold up. On the demo run, the electronics froze. Dealer had to reset by turning the batteries off and then back on. Not terribly comforting in a new boat. Dealer said it was a glitch and will be updated. Any thoughts/feedback would be appciated. 

TIA

Search this forum. Some of the 2017s froze too. There was a thread a month or so ago.   I don't remember it leaving anyone stuck but resetting a new six figure boat all the time sounds annoying.  Hopefully the dealers complains to Malibu and they get a. Update going.  

1 hour ago, Slee said:

New to the forum and Malibu. Looking at the 23lsv and the g23. Don't think I want to pay the premium for the nautique so I think I found my boat. Took both out this weekend and don't think I can go wrong. Question is how do the touch screens hold up. On the demo run, the electronics froze. Dealer had to reset by turning the batteries off and then back on. Not terribly comforting in a new boat. Dealer said it was a glitch and will be updated. Any thoughts/feedback would be appciated. 

TIA

Had this happen to me on the Demo boat I just bought.....Dealer was great and came to the marina to troubleshoot....ended up replacing one of the batteries ...not saying that is your problem but it could be...I wouldn't pass on the boat for that minor issue.....It's under warranty so go for it if you like it......

I have owned a 15' and 17' 23 and can say that I had maybe two cases where the screen would freeze over a 350 hour period. I wouldn't let that stop me for buying the boat. It's a great boat and you will enjoy how easy everything is to control through the touch screens. 

3 minutes ago, racer808 said:

What happens if you're fully ballasted out & the screen goes out?  I can't see trying to trailer a boat with several extra thousand pounds of weight on it?

Since you have a MB question back to you. If you're quick fill tanks are full, how can you drain them if you can't get on plane (any type of damage that would keep this from happening). You have to put on trailer while ballast tanks are full. Ideal no, but what else can you do. In your defense, once boat is out you can drain ;)

10 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Since you have a MB question back to you. If you're quick fill tanks are full, how can you drain them if you can't get on plane (any type of damage that would keep this from happening). You have to put on trailer while ballast tanks are full. Ideal no, but what else can you do. In your defense, once boat is out you can drain ;)

You don't need to be "on plane," just travelling faster than no wake speed.  And as you note as soon as the boat is on the trailer, open the gates and the tanks will be empty by the top of just about any ramp.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

You don't need to be "on plane," just travelling faster than no wake speed.  And as you note as soon as the boat is on the trailer, open the gates and the tanks will be empty by the top of just about any ramp.

Was in that scenario where we had to be towed back and could not drain until boat was out of water...

Edited by kerpluxal
1 hour ago, kerpluxal said:

I just open the gates & when I pull out the water drains out.

Still doesn't answer my question though.  Even if my hard tanks are full that is still only 2400 or 2600 pounds I believe & comes out quick.  If I have a touch screen & 4000 pounds of ballast how do you drain it even after you're off the water?

Edited by racer808
52 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I love the idea of the different quick fills out there... Do wish they still had ballast pumps on them for minor adjustments (I know you can drain while underway, but what if you want to add while underway... I did hear a rumor that Mr Murphy has come up with this as well :) ) I also wish that Malibu, Nautique, and whoever else is all touch screen had backup switches for this also.

It's a legitimate question, all the touch screens & excessive electronics have been what keeps me away from the newer higher end boats.  I'm an analog guy & based on some threads it's for good reason.

10 minutes ago, racer808 said:

It's a legitimate question, all the touch screens & excessive electronics have been what keeps me away from the newer higher end boats.  I'm an analog guy & based on some threads it's for good reason.

It has kept me in limbo... But I will back it up with that how many do not have an issue? Little to no one will create a thread on how well it works, but if something is wrong.. the world will hear about it. Use to be in customer service and general rule of thumb.. Make 1 person out of 10 happy, he might share his experience with someone else, make 1 person out of 10 unhappy, he will let all 10 know plus whoever else he can tell also. I would like to see some stats on number sold to number with issues for me to make up my mind ;)

• Like 2

No idea how you would drain BU hard tanks in the event of screen/power fail.  PNP you can simply drain through the bilge, but hard tanks???  In my case i manually open the valves and all 3000 pounds flow right out. Only location i can't easily drain manually is center sub floor.  

29 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

I love the idea of the different quick fills out there... Do wish they still had ballast pumps on them for minor adjustments (I know you can drain while underway, but what if you want to add while underway...

I simply hit fill....done!  You just be careful, it fills drains FAST.  Each rear tank adds roughly 50# per second.

Edited by DarkSide
4 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I simply hit fill....done!

Can you fill while underway (ie while pulling a rider) or only fill when stationary/idle speed.. I would like the option to fill while pulling a rider as well for cleaning up wake/wave purpose (mainly wake). I know that you can clean up by draining while underway... but I have OCD when setting boat up riders and adjust till the wake is perfect :P

6 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

No idea how you would drain BU hard tanks in the event of screen/power fail.  PNP you can simply drain through the bilge, but hard tanks???  In my case i manually open the valves and all 3000 pounds flow right out. Only location i can't easily drain manually is center sub floor.  

If you are stranded in water (under carriage damage, boat no start..etc) can you still open the valve and drain, or have to wait until boat is on trailer?

Edited by kerpluxal
17 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

It has kept me in limbo... But I will back it up with that how many do not have an issue? Little to no one will create a thread on how well it works, but if something is wrong.. the world will hear about it. Use to be in customer service and general rule of thumb.. Make 1 person out of 10 happy, he might share his experience with someone else, make 1 person out of 10 unhappy, he will let all 10 know plus whoever else he can tell also. I would like to see some stats on number sold to number with issues for me to make up my mind ;)

Agree with that.  I do find a very large number of expensive boat owners have no idea what their boats do, what a forum is & simply use the dealer for every odd & end including basic oil changes, so we never hear from them at all.  As for my failures?  At least one gate a year goes out, so I always keep one around.  I could do the mod for a different gate but it looks like a PIA.  Boats are a funny thing, every time I have a technical question about my MB the MB forum is very fast to respond to them having the same problem, then the answer to the repair 90% of the time is "I don't know, I just took it to the dealer".  Malibu Crew is by far the best & most knowledgeble forum & a large part of why I am thinking of returning to the brand.  If we can just get those damn Axis guys to be on par I may buy one of them :rofl:

Edited by racer808
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, racer808 said:

Agree with that.  I do find a very large number of expensive boat owners have no idea what their boats do, what a forum is & simply use the dealer for every odd & end including basic oil changes, so we never hear from them at all.  As for my failures?  At least one gate a year goes out, so I always keep one around.  I could do the mod for a different gate but it looks like a PIA.  Boats are a funny thing, every time I have a technical question about my MB the MB forum is very fast to respond to them having the same problem, then the answer to the repair 90% of the time is "I don't know, I just took it to the dealer".  Malibu Crew is by far the best & most knowledgeble forum & a large part of why I am thinking of returning to the brand.  If we just get those damn Axis guys to be on par I may buy one of them :rofl:

IMHO... all boats have their quirks.. My cars do as well (I need to quit buying unicorns and stick with main stream.. but that is no fun ;)) 

• Like 2

@kerpluxal @racer808 i actually had this happen!  It is the one serious failure i have had.  Fully weighted 5000+ pounds on board.  Yes you can open gates manually AT ANY POINT, any ballast above the waterline will flow out.  Bags i drained into the bilge, when i put it on the trailer i simply pulled out very slow and it drained as i was pulling out.

As for filling while underway, yes, about 50# per second per side.  Upto the 3000 pounds (1500 per side).  However i have a much better way of cleaning/ballancing the wake than using ballast...

As this is BU forum i will PM.  I will also attach a video, where they go from skiing, to full ballast wakeboarding, to surfing in one take in 5 minutes.  About 45 seconds of riding per discipline...

1 minute ago, DarkSide said:

@kerpluxal @racer808 i actually had this happen!  It is the one serious failure i have had.  Fully weighted 5000+ pounds on board.  Yes you can open gates manually AT ANY POINT, any ballast above the waterline will flow out.  Bags i drained into the bilge, when i put it on the trailer i simply pulled out very slow and it drained as i was pulling out.

As for filling while underway, yes, about 50# per second per side.  Upto the 3000 pounds (1500 per side).  However i have a much better way of cleaning/ballancing the wake than using ballast...

As this is BU forum i will PM.  I will also attach a video, where they go from skiing, to full ballast wakeboarding, to surfing in one take in 5 minutes.  About 45 seconds of riding per discipline...

"However i have a much better way of cleaning/ballancing the wake than using ballast..."

LOL... Throwing me overboard does not count :)

that's one thing i cant seem to get around is  the electronics freezing  wow this is a big deal breaker  for me and its happening a lot for a 125000 boat.  take a look at the 2018 230 its a nice boat no software problems  ,

and i really wanted to get the new 23lsv love the surf gate wave is sick just dont want to chance it

5 hours ago, edo said:

that's one thing i cant seem to get around is  the electronics freezing  wow this is a big deal breaker  for me and its happening a lot for a 125000 boat.  take a look at the 2018 230 its a nice boat no software problems  ,

and i really wanted to get the new 23lsv love the surf gate wave is sick just dont want to chance it

Nautique has it too, they just control their forum from negative content  

• Like 3
17 hours ago, racer808 said:

What happens if you're fully ballasted out & the screen goes out?  I can't see trying to trailer a boat with several extra thousand pounds of weight on it?

16 hours ago, racer808 said:

I just open the gates & when I pull out the water drains out.

Still doesn't answer my question though.  Even if my hard tanks are full that is still only 2400 or 2600 pounds I believe & comes out quick.  If I have a touch screen & 4000 pounds of ballast how do you drain it even after you're off the water?

16 hours ago, racer808 said:

16 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Power modules under the dash. Remove cover and place drain pump fuses in the bypass slot. It turns them on.

Someone savvy enough could probably rig up a set of back up switches under there to do the same thing, but from reading the various threads on it most simply reboot the system through a battery switch cycle and they come right back.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 3