Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Supra SL & 2018 Malibu 23LSV

NorrisMike

I'll be buying a new boat in the future and checked out the 2018 23Lsv and 2018 Supra SL yesterday.  Both very nice boats but the Supra may have my eye...   A demo of both boats is definitely in order.  Anyone else cross compare the 2 boats?  They seem to be in the same general price range and of similar size.  

Supra_SL550_Running_0636.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

Edited by NorrisMike
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Fffrank said:

That Supra interior is lit!  

I like the way it looks but I'm not sure if I could order it though... It's very bold.   Same with the purple LSV - I love the way it looks but I wouldn't order one that color. 

Since the release of the SL, it has been at the top of my list for potential purchase in 4-5 years used when the price gets down under the $100k mark lol.  I have not sat in one yet but hope to soon just to look it over.

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

The Supra look really nice!   I would be curious how they perform.   I like the idea of auto wake, but not sure it would work as advertised.  

I have heard it isn't good. When you think about it, your ballast pumps must be running 24/7. What happens when your mid run and someone gets up to grab something from the cooler, it adjust. Then 30 seconds later, you sit back down, and it adjusts back to what it was just at. Or if someone moves to talk with someone, etc. I feel your pumps would just be running 24/7. Plus it's listing your boat and emptying weight out. With Malibu's surf gate none of this matters as the boat rides flat and isn't affected by where people sit - and you have maximum ballast all the time without them changing constantly. Just my two cents and what I've heard.

5 hours ago, NorrisMike said:

I'll be buying a new boat in the future and checked out the 2018 23Lsv and 2018 Supra SL yesterday.  Both very nice boats but the Supra may have my eye...   A demo of both boats is definitely in order.  Anyone else cross compare the 2 boats?  They seem to be in the same general price range and of similar size.  

First thing I thought when I saw the new SL was, "WOW, that tower looks a lot like a G4"... Really like the new look of Supra's, as I hated their old tower look. Couldn't stand it so from a visual aspect they look alot better. Not sure I could ever go with one though.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Suggy said:

I have heard it isn't good. When you think about it, your ballast pumps must be running 24/7. What happens when your mid run and someone gets up to grab something from the cooler, it adjust. Then 30 seconds later, you sit back down, and it adjusts back to what it was just at. Or if someone moves to talk with someone, etc. I feel your pumps would just be running 24/7. Plus it's listing your boat and emptying weight out. With Malibu's surf gate none of this matters as the boat rides flat and isn't affected by where people sit - and you have maximum ballast all the time without them changing constantly. Just my two cents and what I've heard.

In theory it seems it would work great, and you are correct on the pumps filling and draining constantly.  But  in practice it does not IMO work. It takes to long for the pumps to drain/fill to adjust and by time they do, someone or something else will cause it to change again.

If Supra price point was below the Malibu I would be more interested. They are two similar in price for me to buy one over a Malibu.

1 hour ago, NorrisMike said:

What are some of the pros versus cons for those of you who have contemplated both brands? 

For me its resale....that's it..... Supra builds and sells 300 ish new boats per year???? Small pool for resale...... very small. Having said that, it is my second favorite wake boat....

Edited by ConnollyCrew
7 hours ago, NorrisMike said:

I am pretty sure that is Lake Mead.  What other lake has a 100 foot bathtub ring with no vegetation around it?  Supra hasn't had a Las Vegas dealer for a good number of years.  

It is interesting to do a photo shoot at a lake where there is no dealer presence.  Sorry for the interruption...continue discussion about pros and cons of these boats.  

Edited by TallRedRider
2 hours ago, NorrisMike said:

What are some of the pros versus cons for those of you who have contemplated both brands? 

This is my opinion and I am sure everyone else would have a different one. That is why I always stress demo and see for yourself ;)

For the price point the Supra is does not have the amenities of the Malibu.

Tank gauges are on timers and are an estimate. Piggyback a bag, change your timers. Change piggyback bag size and back to adjusting timers again.  

I prefer the dash on the Malibu and do not like the Supra at all. It seems to me that Supra technology in this area is 4 years behind Malibu and Nautique.

I prefer the wedge to the wake plate. For me I can change the shape of the wake/wave on the fly for different rider levels.

I prefer the cabin space in the LSV (more room in cabin, less room in bow) than the cabin space in the Supra. 

For the riding experience, they are very similar in wake/wave to me (minus the adjustability of the wedge) in transition and firmness.

Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

@TenTwentyOne wrote a review of autowake in another thread. Maybe he'll chime in. 

Short version is that autowake is for people that know absolutely nothing about boat setup for surfing. It helps in that scenario.

For any scenario that involves people that know how to setup, and even out the crew..... it is a downside, and you will want to turn it off.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

For me its resale....that's it..... Supra builds and sells 300 ish new boats per year???? Small pool for resale...... very small. Having said that, it is my second favorite wake boat....

Please elaborate more.  If the used pool is small, wouldn't that be a good thing?  

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

The biggest con to me is the Supra rear bench.  It's not upholstered. Looks like an Axis or 21 VLX set up (hard fiberglass with sea deck glued down).  We actually sit back there! Like A LOT!! The rear seats on a Malibu are one of my favorite features. We call it "the couch." I think Bu does it better than anybody else. 

Oh yeah, and resale too!

IMG_8117.PNG

Come on bro, you can do better than that! Your reply lacks effort...  

The couch area on the Supra SL is actually a pretty cool. You can fit multiple boards in there, ropes, wet vests, etc.  The Malibu had a couple shallow plastic trays for maybe storing sun tan lotion, wet gloves, lube.... :blush: The Bu couch seats and hinges felt very flimsy and cheap to me too. 

Screen_Shot_2017_09_15_at_11_55_17_AM.pn

Do you like MC's lounge seating configuration?

353948_p_t_640x480_image11.jpg

• Like 3

I think the mc looks good but it does seem kind of odd having all those finishings on the "outside" of the boat.  My 2004 gets smacked in the butt by our own wave every time we stop surfing to pick up our rider.  If i had those seats they would get soaked repeatedly.  Is that not an issue on new boats because of increased freeboard?  

The trunk storage area is kind of cool. Does that mean you can remove a trunk divider and have more access to the rear of the engine for service?  Any modern boat owners change an impeller yet?  My engine is inches from my transom. 

Edited by Gavin17