Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VTX surf wake setup

KirkB

I've done some searching on here and have found a little info but I'm wondering what would be a good setup for this boat.  I just learned to surf this year and am looking at upgrading to an LSV in the future but want to make the VTX work for the time being.  I'm looking at this https://www.wakemakers.com/fatsac-ultimate-wake-tsunami-pump-combo.html to satisfy my needs for now.  I have the Nauticurl which really cleaned up the wake but I'm not getting quite enough push to go ropeless or even get enough slack in the rope to feel I can try ropeless.  Do you guys think the 750s and the bow bag will be enough to get a nice surf wave?  Thanks in advance boys!  This place is a wealth of information.

Kirk

We surf standard or port side and have a 400 lb sac on the floor in the bow and one 400 lb sac the passenger seat. Our boat does not have a bow tank.  We fill the center tank and port rear with a 750 on top.  Sometimes we'll add another 400 lb sac on the passenger side floor if it is just our family of four.  We also use a Delta Mission surf tab on the starboard side. We leave the starboard side rear tank and sac empty.  Floating wedge down.  10.2 mph give or take.  Less ballast if more people, but we aren't real friendly.

That's what I'm talking about!  Sounds like you have this combo down.  Sounds like you have it listed pretty well.  I was thinking I'd at least fill the rear tank starboard as it would submerge more of the boat for use of the Nauticurl but maybe I only need one 750 and a bow bag as I surf regular.  Nobody else has joined the festivities yet...:dontknow:  

• 1 month later...

I'm on a 2007 VTX from time-to-time, as that is what my FatherInLaw owns. These are the best recipes that we've achieved... I am Starboard rider, while the FatherInLaw and few friends ride Port.

Starboard: MLS all full + 750# Plug n' Play that are 1/2 filled + Floating Wedge deployed + Mission Delta Wake Shaper

37071130604_d8c5cd96b3_z.jpg2007 Malibu Boats 20 VTX with Mission Delta Wake Shaper by Mason Obray, on Flickr

Port: MLS all full + Custom Sac that runs from the Locker to below the Observer Seat + Floating Wedge deployed

37780441471_5844d26bed_z.jpg2007 Malibu Boats 20 VTX Listed by Mason Obray, on Flickr

Edited by UpperleftWake
  • 2 months later...

On my 2007 VTX that we have had for two years now, we have learned to surf without the rope, but just can't get the 360s or jumps yet as we continue to fall off the back of the wake, i.e., loose the push.  We typically run the two rear tanks full, center tank between 3/4 full and full and front tank usually empty along with the Mission wake shaper, which cleans it up pretty good.  We run between 9.4 and 11 mph with the power wedge down (our wedge does tend to rough up the wake though).  If we have only 2 people in the boat, the wake is pretty weak.  When we have five or so in the boat, the wake has a lot more push and when we throw a couple on the sundeck, even more wake height.  So, my plan is to add a pair of piggy back sacs to the rear lockers as I'm hoping for the ultimate wake.  Another question in my mind is the wake shaper (see pics of mine attached), being that mine attaches to the swim platform while most of the other brands attached to the side of the boat and closer to the front of the boat.  My wake seems close to the swim platform and I would like to lengthen it so we can ride further from the boat (the front ballast tank does help some, but compromises the waves power to push us), so, would the wake shapers that mount closer to the front of the boat help make a longer wake?  I see that your posts are a little older, so if you could provide some current suggestions, that would be great.

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3296.JPG

IMG_3297.JPG

I honestly don't believe your issue is with the gate.. You are just simply not running enough weight.

For example in my 23 LSV:

Factory ballast full

1100 piggy back in rear lockers

400's under coffin seats,

I do not have factory front ballast, but a horse shoe (~250 lbs) under seats and an 800 lb in front walk way.

You would not require as much weight due to a smaller boat.. but you need more than you are running now.

Also, I run  between 10 mph to 12 mph... 

For further help:

More weight in front will increase wave length as well as a higher speed and wedge position.. Wedge fully deployed gives you longer length, as you bring it up it will increase wave height and reduce length.

1 hour ago, TowerPower said:

On my 2007 VTX that we have had for two years now, we have learned to surf without the rope, but just can't get the 360s or jumps yet as we continue to fall off the back of the wake, i.e., loose the push.  We typically run the two rear tanks full, center tank between 3/4 full and full and front tank usually empty along with the Mission wake shaper, which cleans it up pretty good.  We run between 9.4 and 11 mph with the power wedge down (our wedge does tend to rough up the wake though).  If we have only 2 people in the boat, the wake is pretty weak.  When we have five or so in the boat, the wake has a lot more push and when we throw a couple on the sundeck, even more wake height.  So, my plan is to add a pair of piggy back sacs to the rear lockers as I'm hoping for the ultimate wake.  Another question in my mind is the wake shaper (see pics of mine attached), being that mine attaches to the swim platform while most of the other brands attached to the side of the boat and closer to the front of the boat.  My wake seems close to the swim platform and I would like to lengthen it so we can ride further from the boat (the front ballast tank does help some, but compromises the waves power to push us), so, would the wake shapers that mount closer to the front of the boat help make a longer wake?  I see that your posts are a little older, so if you could provide some current suggestions, that would be great.

As a general rule, more weight in back is a bigger wake and more weight in front is a longer wake.  The lack of bow weight is contributing to your short wake and you definitely need to run some bow weight in a VTX.  Your overall weight needs to go up.

Not sure how our wake compares, but you are welcome to come ride in the spring since I see you are in Michigan.

Edited by River Monsters