Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf wake! 23 LSV versus 2017 22 mxz

surfdude

Can anyone compare these 2 surf wakes? Is the new 22 mxz better than a 17 LSV surf wake? Considering buying a hold over 17 22 MXZ ! No verdict out yet on the new LSV.

My 17 22 mxz has awesome surf wave without any extra bags. We love the room it has up front. It handles rough water very well. It drinks more gas the my other wake boats did. But overall we love it

• Like 2
3 hours ago, surfdude said:

Can anyone compare these 2 surf wakes? Is the new 22 mxz better than a 17 LSV surf wake? Considering buying a hold over 17 22 MXZ ! No verdict out yet on the new LSV.

My 23 sprays in lee than a week, I should have a first hand account on the surf wake in about 4 weeks... I have been told by more than one person that it is a huge upgrade from the previous generation.....the word beast was used....we will see

Edited by ConnollyCrew

I have been on a 2018 LSV, basically add 500 lbs to a 2017 lsv and that is what you have.  I'm not trying to downplay the new LSV but from what I was viewing in the boat it was nothing much different than the previous LSV.  Malibu really never let's people know if the hull changes, my "suspicion" is running surface is identical to a 2017 with more weight.  The boat length did not change any either.  Maybe @connollycrew will be able to pull off something different than I witnessed.

The only boat I demo'd that left a wow impression for me was the new Axis A24.  Head and shoulders above my current LSV in both surf and wakeboard.  I would classify that wave as beast mode.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Fman said:

I have been on a 2018 LSV, basically add 500 lbs to a 2017 lsv and that is what you have.  I'm not trying to downplay the new LSV but from what I was viewing in the boat it was nothing much different than the previous LSV.  Malibu really never let's people know if the hull changes, my "suspicion" is running surface is identical to a 2017 with more weight.  The boat length did not change any either.  Maybe @connollycrew will be able to pull off something different than I witnessed.

The only boat I demo'd that left a wow impression for me was the new Axis A24.  Head and shoulders above my current LSV in both surf and wakeboard.  I would classify that wave as beast mode.

Did you surf this boat?  I have been told the surf wake is much different than my 17'.... I had about 500 in lead in my boat(17).......the wakeboard wake was fantastic.....,...I am looking for a firmer surf wake.....

Edited by ConnollyCrew
50 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Did you surf this boat?  I have been told the surf wake is much different than my 17'.... I had about 500 in lead in my boat(17).......the wakeboard wake was fantastic.....,...I am looking for a firmer surf wake.....

Only observer, did not actually surf it.  I have been on enough boats now to know what an exceptional wave looks like.  It was definitely not bad but not a game changer or anything much different than my lsv.  It had factory hard tanks and rear PnP bags.  There definitely could be room for improvement with more weight and configurations, I am only commenting on what I witnessed.  A24 was legit and much better than my current LSV.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Fman said:

Only observer, did not actually surf it.  I have been on enough boats now to know what an exceptional wave looks like.  It was definitely not bad but not a game changer or anything much different than my lsv.  It had factory hard tanks and rear PnP bags.  There definitely could be room for improvement with more weight and configurations, I am only commenting on what I witnessed.  A24 was legit and much better than my current LSV.

I had a quick ride on the new 2018 A24 yesterday and I have to agree with you on it's surf wave. Didnt ride it.. but got to see both sides with things fully loaded. Very impressive. Boat felt huge.

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, surfdude said:

Owned a 14 LSV and own a 17 22MXZ.  Yes, the wedge is different from a 14 to 17, but the surf wave is certainly better on the new MXZ compared to the old 23LSV.  I would guess the new LSV is comparable to the new MXZ.  I definitely noticed the MXZ had a 'wider' sweet spot.  Longer, maybe a little, but overall much wider.  It was weird at first, but I love it.

Disclaimer - the old 23 was no slouch.  I'm sure the 2018 23 is great, haven't been behind it yet.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I had a quick ride on the new 2018 A24 yesterday and I have to agree with you on it's surf wave. Didnt ride it.. but got to see both sides with things fully loaded. Very impressive. Boat felt huge.

I'm envious, the A24 is a fantastic package.  It's the real deal.  Congrats on your new ride, post up some pics!

I spent some time in a 17 24 mxz, and the wave is really impressive! Just wondering if the 22 is almost as good. The mxz wave was quite a jump from my lsv. Our dealer has a 17 22 mxz. That I can demo, no plug and play bags tho. It can be had for about the same price as a 18 lsv.

20 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

The only way your going to get the wave to firm up is increasing the draft.   There is a reason Malibu 2 best surf boats are also the deepest drafting boats.   The extra weight of the 2018 should help.   

Not to disagree with @Fman too much but visual is no substitute for demo.  Example  I can make my wave look almost identical to an M235, visually, however the M wane is significantly softer.   

• Like 3

So, my maximum crew nowadays is six people. If the wakes are close, which would you choose, I think the 18 lsv will have better resale down the road, than the 17 mxz. Who knows.

The 23 will have better resale.  Honestly, I think all of my future boats will have the big pickle fork bow.  We really like it as it allows you to have space to separate groups if you want.  You also get the ability to enter the boat from the water from the front.  The rear walkthrough is nice on the MXZ and now you can get the filler cushion if you want it.  

When we had our 23 all we did was throw a bag in the front of the boat for weight.  Due to the design of the MXZ (more rear weighted in design bigger bow sac) we've never put a bag in the front.  (just 200lbs of lead in the nose)

As everyone has said...demo both, then you'll know.  I was hesitant switching to the MXZ from the LSV and now we won't go back to a traditional bow or a boat without a walkthrough, but that's just our preference.  Resale?  IMO it's overrated.  Buy the boat you want because the resale is relatively close in most boats and brands considering your investment.  IE  For the money, buy what you want, don't settle.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tjklein said:

Resale?  IMO it's overrated.  Buy the boat you want because the resale is relatively close in most boats and brands considering your investment.  IE  For the money, buy what you want, don't settle.

This is dangerous,  especially when you get a boat that spends as much time in the shop as it does on the lake.    It is really expensive, to dump your dream boat, once it turns into a nightmare.

Resale is now a major consideration. 

Edited by DarkSide

My shop rules! So, not a consideration. My dealer is 10 minutes away. I've bought 5 Malibu's from these guys, never had a boat in the shop for more than 2 days. I'm just worried that the MXZ's don't sell well in MT. I also boat a lot on the river. Shallow in a lot of places. Want to downsize, cause the kids are here only in the summer. Still want a great surfwake!  MXZ has same people capacity. Tired of filling a bow bag on my LSV. Yet I trade every 2or 3 years, so I'm concerned about resale.i would consider another brand, but I know that all brands have problems, and I'm not gonna haul my boat 250 miles to get serviced.

Edited by surfdude
3 hours ago, surfdude said:

So, my maximum crew nowadays is six people. If the wakes are close, which would you choose, I think the 18 lsv will have better resale down the road, than the 17 mxz. Who knows.

The LSV is the number one seller.  Has been for past 9 years.  I don't see this changing for 2018 either.  The new LSV is a very nice boat, there were just a few items I did not care for.  I would say chances are good the LSV will have better resale than the mxz.

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, tjklein said:

Owned a 14 LSV and own a 17 22MXZ.  Yes, the wedge is different from a 14 to 17, but the surf wave is certainly better on the new MXZ compared to the old 23LSV.  I would guess the new LSV is comparable to the new MXZ.  I definitely noticed the MXZ had a 'wider' sweet spot.  Longer, maybe a little, but overall much wider.  It was weird at first, but I love it.

Disclaimer - the old 23 was no slouch.  I'm sure the 2018 23 is great, haven't been behind it yet.

Did you have to add any ballast to your 17 mxz? or were the stock tanks enough?

I have the FlyHigh specific bags for the '17 22mxz (550s I think).  They fit really nice and are plug and play.  They are a dealer option but can be ordered from Fly High as well.  (Fat Sacs)  My 23lsv had a similar setup, plus a big front bag.

Also, I'm running 200lbs of lead in the nose of my MXZ, but no extra bag.  The MXZ is more naturally rear weighted which is good for the wave on this boat.  I keep the lead in there to help with the nose.  It rode high without it and wanted to porpoise a bit.  

Hope that helps.