Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nautique 230 vs 2017 or 2018 LSV

thejean

So I sold my 2013 LSV today and will be looking for a new boat here soon. Reason for selling is that my wife absolutely despises the carpet, especially under the cushions where grime can build up in the carpet and nothing short of pressure washing it will get it out. Anyway, I was initially thinking 2016 or 2017 with sea deck flooring as I can get one for about $135k (Canadian $) but then realized they still have carpet under the cushions. Then I started thinking that perhaps maybe I should go to a 2018 as they have zero carpet but then I am looking at $150k. So I started looking at Nautiques and I can get a brand new 230 for about $125k. I have been behind a 2017 X23, 2016 G23, 2016 230, 2014 LSV and of course my own 2013 LSV. The G probably has the best wake with the 230 and X23 being close seconds. The newer LSV had a bit better wake than mine but it also had 900 lb bags compared to my 750's. In any event, they are all fairly comparable and wakes. The 2017 230 seems to be very well built and almost as much boat as a G23 (less some storage). What I do like about the SAN and MC is the wake forms almost immediately vs waiting for surf gates to deploy on the LSV. Anyway, just wondering what you guys think and will the 2018 LSV be that much better than a 2017 230? Pros/cons? Other thoughts? 

I'd jump over to Planet Nautique and do some reading.  Don't just read the "great" comments, but read the site general discussion on all the boats.  I've had 11 Nautiques (see below the types).  They are great boats.  Also you will be able to find my comments on the 230.  I took a bashing, but the owners I'd trust on the bashing is Nautiquehurter and Mjak.  they've been around for a while and know their boats well. 

I just got a 2016 23 LSV (New) a couple weeks ago.  I talked to my salesperson yesterday (Chris Potter @ Smithboys conesus), he just returned from the dealer meeting.  I wanted an update on the 2018 models.  He had a lot of great comments on the 2018, but nothing that said I need an '18 over a '16 or '17.  I will get more details when I see him this weekend.  the M series is changing some.

I have NO proof or verification, but I don't see the 230 build continuing long.  With the GS and G being the primary focus, the 230 could soon be on the chopping block.  AGAIN I HAVE NO PROOF THIS WILL HAPPEN, but the 200v only lasted from '11-16

To my growing but limited knowledge on Bu's the 2018 hull (bottom on the water) didn't change from 2017 to 2018, only the interior did, so your comments on the wake being only a little better both does and doesn't make sense.  Could have been the extra bag weight.  Others will need to correct me on this.

• Like 2

Carpet under the seats has never been an issue for us, not sure what our climate and storage differences are, but I have younger kids that are in and out of the water ALL THE TIME, and with vests on all they do is bring water in the boat.

we wipe down interior and exterior with hot/vinyl sauce and go home, where I cover and pop every other cushion so no moisture can get trapped and grow moldy

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the feedback. Was looking for some negative on Nautique but not hearing much. It sounds like with 750 lb sacks and a bow bag (under the seat) it basically surfs like a stock G23. Overall I would also say it has 90% of the G features at $50-60k lower price tag (at least here in Canada). My buddy has a 2016 230 and I had a 2013 LSV and I can definitely notice a quality improvement in the Nautiques over both the older and newer Bu's just in terms of materials and rattles. That being said, I know that Malibu started using nicer finish materials so they are closer there but then I heard the seats and such have gone down in quality from 2014 and up (my buddy with a 2014 LSV had ALL of his seats replaced under warranty). I'm not here to knock Bu as I think they are by far the best looking boats out there with the coolest dash design but I really find myself being drawn to Nautique... 

Ok that's also good to know. I did feel like my 13 seats were nicer and more plush than my buddy's 14 seats but have to admit his looked more modern. Everywhere else looked to be an improvement with aluminum accents, etc. 

Edited by thejean

Nautiques are by far the highest quality, but the styling really doesn’t do it for me. Especially the 230.

Another option would be to just get a new Malibu and have the dealer remove all the carpet for gaterstep. Which would be a lot cheaper than a 18.

I would definitely stop by seca marine and take a look at what they have for the Tige’s, the new ones are all gaterstep.

2017's - Under the seat bases they don't but they still do in the storage compartments I believe. Under the seat bases is where the food accumulates and can stain and get mouldy. Storage I care less about.

Gatorstep is an option too I suppose. 

X23 is now on my possible list as well in the 120-140 range. 

I think I got confused? Seat bases? Are you taking about where your calfs are while seated? Or on the back side of the seat when flipped up? I have no carpet in storage areas or on the flipped up seat bases. 

Edited by teamerickson
9 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

I think I got confused? Seat bases? Are you taking about where your calfs are while seated? Or on the back side of the seat when flipped up? I have no carpet in storage areas or on the flipped up seat bases. 

The area immediately under the seats that surround the storage opening. When chips and other things get in between the seats it makes an absolutely disgusting mess that is difficult to clean. My wife is a clean freak and it bothers her something fierce. I could care less and would power wash it every couple of weeks but hey, if she's going to give me an excuse to get a new boat, so be it! 🤘😎

2 hours ago, Fman said:

I just went out on a demo on the 2018 LSV.  Honestly, I was somewhat disappointed.  I do not care for some of the interior changes Malibu did this time around.  The step down center cushion on rear bench seat is terribly located, its like sitting on a piece of plywood on the seat, basically you loose a seat or make someone who does not pay for gas sit there.  Even the two step pads on the top of the ski lockers are not great. I know the people we take out are not going to consciously try and step on those every time they get in and out of the boat. They just look odd to me and not very well thought out.  I wish Malibu would have made this an option, or even just remove it for 2019.  They also changed the rear corner bench seats to a squared off design.  The 2017 has a nice rounded corner that is very comfortable to sit in.  I dunno I always though the LSV as being a plush ride, super comfortable, and I am not sure this where they took it.  I DO like the rear facing flip around seat, great option.  The more freeboard and storage is also nice, but we have plenty in my 2017 as it is.  I also think the boat needs a 17" prop, 2:1 trans, its over 5k pounds dry now and deserves it.

I hope for 2019 they make some changes to it.  I know I won't be upgrading from my 2017, I actually like the 2017 design better.  Just my .02...

and BTW if I were to upgrade or change boats it would be the Axis A24, that boat for 2018 is sick, and so reasonably priced for what you are getting.  With addition of the PW2 Axis is definitely on my radar for my next purchase.

I agree. I was worried that I would regret buying a 2017 23 lsv, but once I sat in an 18 I have no regrets. It makes me like my 17 all the more. I ditto all the things you say above, but also the foam in the seats are harder and the bow area is ugly with way too much fiberglass showing. My boat also has a great wave...we get great results with rear bags only about half full and no wedge down. I will be keeping my 17 for a long time unless anyone who bought an 18 wants to buy my 17. Haha  Then I'd buy a 25 lsv that still has the luxury in lsv.

Edited by bbattiste247
  • 2 weeks later...

I have not been on a newer 230, but will say the downside for me has sort of been expressed already - it is second fiddle boat in Nautique's lineup and just to me, doesn't seem that desirable in the new or used market.   That is just my perception though.   At least with the LSV, you have the best seller and what I still consider Malibu's flagship boat (yes, I know the M is the mac daddy and the new MXZ's are awesome, but the LSV still reigns overall in my book).  

As for seats, post 2014 I think Malibu stepped up their interiors, plus they changed vinyl all together in 2016.   I have two friends with 2014 LSV's, both looking to get their seats fixed before warranty expires.    My 2016 with about 110 hours shows no sign of back seats starting to tear (yet).  

Carpet would be an issue on the vertical surfaces of a 2017 or older LSV, and I totally get that crumbs collect on the top of that under the seat cushions.   Even if a dealer was willing to pull that minimal carpet off and gatorstep it to make a sale, my guess is that fiberglass isn't finished and you won't get a clean look.   That alone may throw the 2017 and older LSV out for you.   

3 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I have not been on a newer 230, but will say the downside for me has sort of been expressed already - it is second fiddle boat in Nautique's lineup and just to me, doesn't seem that desirable in the new or used market.   That is just my perception though.   At least with the LSV, you have the best seller and what I still consider Malibu's flagship boat (yes, I know the M is the mac daddy and the new MXZ's are awesome, but the LSV still reigns overall in my book).  

As for seats, post 2014 I think Malibu stepped up their interiors, plus they changed vinyl all together in 2016.   I have two friends with 2014 LSV's, both looking to get their seats fixed before warranty expires.    My 2016 with about 110 hours shows no sign of back seats starting to tear (yet).  

Carpet would be an issue on the vertical surfaces of a 2017 or older LSV, and I totally get that crumbs collect on the top of that under the seat cushions.   Even if a dealer was willing to pull that minimal carpet off and gatorstep it to make a sale, my guess is that fiberglass isn't finished and you won't get a clean look.   That alone may throw the 2017 and older LSV out for you.   

I agree I also think the 230 will be dropped within a short period of time I think in the past few years they've been trying to sell it as a good crossover do everything boat but it's just a hard sale... In my opinion while it may do everything it doesn't do one of those things great like several the other brands and models do.. the 230 bow is extremely shallow and feels tiny to the point where if you're considering the 230 you might as well just get a g21.. my .02c

On 2017-08-30 at 2:26 PM, teamerickson said:

The area immediately under the seats that surround the storage opening. When chips and other things get in between the seats it makes an absolutely disgusting mess that is difficult to clean. My wife is a clean freak and it bothers her something fierce. I could care less and would power wash it every couple of weeks but hey, if she's going to give me an excuse to get a new boat, so be it! 🤘😎

• Like 1

So my local dealer today offered me a similarly equipped 2018 LSV for exact same money I would get the 230 for. I know stock the LSV might have the better wave but I also know my buddy's 230 with 750's surfed better than my 2013 LSV with 750's. How much better is a 2018 LSV over a 2013? I rode a 14 LSV with 900's and well, the wave was about 300 lbs better than with my 750's! Lol

6 hours ago, thejean said:

So my local dealer today offered me a similarly equipped 2018 LSV for exact same money I would get the 230 for. I know stock the LSV might have the better wave but I also know my buddy's 230 with 750's surfed better than my 2013 LSV with 750's. How much better is a 2018 LSV over a 2013? I rode a 14 LSV with 900's and well, the wave was about 300 lbs better than with my 750's! Lol

Leaps and bounds better. In 2013 surf gate had just come out and it was pretty much just slapped on the wake setter line up. Works ok but they have significantly improved the surf wakes since then with hull, wedge, surf gate, and ballast improvements. The 2018 should (I haven't actually surfed one yet) surf better than the 14 LSV as well. The 18 has the PW2, better ballast and it sounds like no need for additional stock ballast.

Imo a 2018 LSV would be a much better purchase over the 230. I'm shocked the 230 is even still being made to be honest with you. The LSV is going to be a desirable boat for many years to come. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 3

I had a '15 G25. Amazing boat, storage was insane and it seriously had one of the best surf waves I've ever had. But I still prefer the 230 over the G series, they are just more nimble, less obnoxious and better suited to my tastes.