Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to Upgrade Our T22

BlknYlwT22

20 hours ago, teamerickson said:

The Auto Lift feature doesn’t work with surfing. It works with higher speeds.

So if I am understanding correctly, while surfing, the wedge will always be deployed?

Edited by BlknYlwT22
3 hours ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

So if I am understanding correctly, while surfing, the wedge will always be deployed?

Well, probably. I guess you could put the wedge in the lift position, and then when you reach speed manualy change the wedge to your desired position. I think the lift feature is really to help get over the 15mph hump. Usually while wake boarding. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Bringing this back from the dead. Need some serious help on my options. What am I missing? What should I eliminate and why? I have notes in bold next to some items I am on the fence about. I know this isn't a Malibu but we like our "budget" boat to feel well appointed. 

Calling in the big guns @IXFE @Anderson24 @ahopkinsTXi @teamerickson @ConnollyCrew @shawndoggy @DarkSide @85 Barefoot @Wakesetter67 @Bawshogg I am missing plenty of other knowledgeable folks but trying to get as many opinions as possible. 

Boat

Standard Motor

High Altitude Prop - Necessary with new transmission gearing?

Heater - 3 Outlet

Docking Lights

Underseat Lighting - White

Stereo Pack 3 - Is there a big different between sound pack 2 and 3?

Quick Release Latch - This will depend on the sound pack

(2) Spinner Board Racks

Surf Gate w/ Surfband

PNP w/ Auto Vent

2nd Gorrilla Tracking Fin - For the money I am not sure this is necessary...

Power Wedge II

Chillax Cockpit Flip Up Seat

Stainless cup holders

Deck Track - Still not sure if I should do gator step instead

Deckadence

Depth Finder

Windshield Mount PTM 

Rear Slide Sky Box Seating

Seat Bolster

Zero Off - Is this worth the cost or is the standard cruise good enough? We have the standard now

Dual Battery Switch

Hydraulic Steering

Pull Up Cleats

Ski Pylon

Z5 Bimini

Evolution Cover - I haver thought about getting Sound Pack 2 so I can lower the tower and have a cover that goes over the boat/tower

Trailer

Standard trailer - Going to see if I can get a different set of wheels

Matching Side Carrier Black w/ Wheel

SS Ratchet w/ Retractable Straps

Bow Step

Transom Step Aluminum

Tread Plates Aluminum 

ahopkins22LSV

IMO yes, zero off is worth it. Especially if you wake board. If you solely surf, maybe not but even then you know you are getting a true speed reading and it holds super steady. Even skiing it's plus/minus a few tenths. 

Also, I'd investigate going PTM clamping racks. They. Are. So. Awesome. I know they are a ton but once you use them you will wonder how you went on with your life without them. Maybe do sound pack 2, no second gorilla fin, and wait to do gator step in a year or two as a winter project to make room in the budget for the racks. Or just check the box and thank me later ;) 

• Like 1

How do you plan on using the boat. We are ordering a T22 and it's a lean no frills surf machine

Deck track is black you'll probably want to match the decadence and do gatorstep. 

• Like 2

I would prefer the gatorstep materiel over the back textured tape that peels up after a season. Malibu used Sea Deck on the gunnels for 18' and it's fantastic. I would consider the PTM racks as well. We love ours(this is our 3rd boat with them). PW2 is a must. I am not personally a big fan of spending a lot of extra on the trailer, Yes it looks very cool but it's hard to recoup money spent here IMO. I like to spend my money in my boat. 

Cover, I would investigate and see what Axis is offering from the factory. I will share that my cover for the 17' was an upgrade from the 15' model and the cover for the 18' is even better.I am very pleased with the factory cover and it has a swim platform cover as well. I have never owned one of Corey's covers, but have heard nothing but great things about them. 

Zero off all day, it's 2017 zero off should be standard. 

As far as prop goes what options are being offered? What elevation are you at? What props do you currently have? If the tranny is 1.72/1 or 1.76/1 a 2277 should kill it. 

I can't say that I have been in a Malibu or Axis with only 1 tracking fin so I can't help here. 

Edited by ConnollyCrew
On 8/25/2017 at 8:50 PM, BlknYlwT22 said:

We have SP3 now but did upgrade the SYN6 to an SD6. Would I be disappointed going to SP2? When we surf we have the system cranked. I will agree that it is nearly impossible to collapse the tower with the 410s. We tried one time and swore it would be the last time we ever tried again. 

I'm not sure I'm sold on Gator Step / Sea Deck simply because its not plush. I have also read about it smudging and show cuts in it when things like wakeboards are dropped on it. 

Yes, downgrading from SD amps is disappointing. If you have a high quality marine audio shop consider stereo delete and have it built with using SD amps, 1 pair Rev10's and a XXX-12 in a ported box. You can also use the revo 12" sub and cut down to 1 SD2 for towers and SD6 for inboats and sub... This setup is top notch either way. If you do 3 SD amps and xxx-12 it's ridiculous.....

Deckadance is the best choice as well. 

Edited by ConnollyCrew

Gatorstep for sure.

I never had the 2nd tracking fin on my 14 and never felt an issue with tracking.

A windshield mounted ptm is standard now but it's not the 140 degree model.

Alloy wheels are a pretty cheap upgrade and well worth it.

As far as GPS cruise, do you boat in a river or on a lake? If river, skip it as the paddle wheel works better in current.

Edited by Raimie
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

Boat

Standard Motor

Heater - 3 Outlet

Docking Lights

(2) Spinner Board Racks

Surf Gate w/ Surfband

PNP w/ Auto Vent

Power Wedge II

Stainless cup holders

Deckadence

Depth Finder

Windshield Mount PTM 

Seat Bolster

Zero Off - Is this worth the cost or is the standard cruise good enough? We have the standard now

Dual Battery Switch

Hydraulic Steering

Pull Up Cleats

Ski Pylon

Z5 Bimini

Evolution Cover - I haver thought about getting Sound Pack 2 so I can lower the tower and have a cover that goes over the boat/tower

Trailer

Bow Step

Transom Step Aluminum

Tread Plates Aluminum 

Late to the party! I guess I got the silver medal behind @IXFE? I’m probably 5 boats behind him so I guess I’ll always be runner-up. 

High Altitude prop? 

Unsure yet. I have not tried a less aggressive prop, but I would like to just to see the differences. As many have mentioned, I don’t mind the higher rpms. 

SP3? 

I say yes. Unless you are lowering tower every time you put it away. I never have to lower mine. But regardless of what you get, invest in a WS420. You’ll thank me later. It’s a nightmare controlling zones on the head unit. 

Quick release latch?

depends on if lowering often

2nd Fin?

i had same question. My dealer said they never order boats without them. Good enough for me. I got it.

Deck Trac?

I assume you mean soft grip for deck? Personal opinion. I didn’t order it, but I regret it now. I think my boat would look extra sharp with the black accents, since there is enough black in windshield, etc that it will flow really well.

Zero Off?

yes

Evo Cover?

I went with factory, super happy. I rarely put it on though as I store inside.

good luck! We love spending your money!

• Like 2

I really like the CS cover.  It's much improved over "old" factory covers.  

on the prop you can definitely get away with the 15x15.75" options.  There's no need to go more aggressive than that.  If you hit a speed wall it's a weighting issue, not a prop issue and the more aggressive prop won't push through it but will spin higher rpms (I tried three different props last season).  The 15x15.75 gives a lot more top end and good high 20s cruising fuel economy too.

I like ZO.  Worth it to me for sure.

With the Z5 does the choice of SP really matter for tower folding?  Seems like tower would be hard to fold with Z5? I dunno.  But the QR tower latches are totally worth it and make it a 30 second (armstrong!) job.

17 hours ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

Bringing this back from the dead. Need some serious help on my options. What am I missing? What should I eliminate and why? I have notes in bold next to some items I am on the fence about. I know this isn't a Malibu but we like our "budget" boat to feel well appointed. 

Calling in the big guns @IXFE @Anderson24 @ahopkinsTXi @teamerickson @ConnollyCrew @shawndoggy @DarkSide @85 Barefoot @Wakesetter67 @Bawshogg I am missing plenty of other knowledgeable folks but trying to get as many opinions as possible. 

Boat

Standard Motor

Heater - 3 Outlet

Docking Lights

(2) Spinner Board Racks

Surf Gate w/ Surfband

PNP w/ Auto Vent

Power Wedge II

Stainless cup holders

Deckadence

Depth Finder

Windshield Mount PTM 

Seat Bolster

Dual Battery Switch

Hydraulic Steering

Pull Up Cleats

Ski Pylon

Z5 Bimini

Trailer

Bow Step

Transom Step Aluminum

Tread Plates Aluminum 

And the gold medal goes to... (cue national anthem)

:usa:

Okay, obviously I'm joking.  Everybody knows that Anderson24, Shawndoggy, and Ramie own this topic.  I'm not worthy to shine their shoes.  BlknYlw you aready have my fav T22 on the forum, so I'm glad you're not straying too far from the original.  

Here's my take on the questions you asked...

Standard Prop vs. Torque Prop - Malibu changes this distinction so often it's hard for me to keep up.  But in general I'm a fan of running the lowest rpm possible while still being able to reach surf speed (with throttle to spare) with your given recipe.  Since I've never tested props on the new T22 it's hard for me to say.  I would defer to Anderson24.  The only tip I have for you is this... upgraded prop is much cheaper from the factory than it is after the fact.  So when I'm on the fence, I usually order the torque prop with the understanding that my dealer will swap it out to whatever I want if I'm not happy.  My dealer has been good about that cuz the torque props are usually in demand elsewhere (e.g. swap with standard prop from another inventory boat).  Maybe ask your dealer if they are game for this.  If so, you're covered either way.  Oh yeah, and what Shawndoggy said about bow weight.  Don't run arse heavy and you likely won't have an issue with either prop.

Stereo Pack 2 vs. 3 - I think the only difference are the tower speakers, right?  If you're determined to get it all from the factory and you never lower your tower, get the Rev 410's.  If you lower your tower frequently go with Pack 2.  If it was me, I'd probably skip the factory tower option and add my own WS or Exile setup.  With Malibu this is a no brainer as their tower speaker options are VERY expensive.  But I guess Axis pricing is more reasonable so I can see the temptation to go with factory.

Quick Release Latch - I have no idea what this is, but if it's a way to make lowering the tower easier, I'd get it (assuming it's reasonably priced).  

Tracking Fin - I haven't owned a boat w/out two fins since 2010 so it's hard for me to weigh in here.  I'd probably check the box just to be safe.  

Deck Track - Axis switched to Gatorstep this year for Deck Track.  So the grip tape is gone, I believe.  I had Gatorstep on my top deck last year for the first time.  It's funny cuz I always thought it was ugly and that I'd never do it.  My dealer threw it in with my floor kit last year just to see if I'd like it.  So I put it on and LOVED IT!  This year I'm paying to put it on my new boat.  Sometimes all a pusher needs to do is give you the first taste for free... then you're hooked.  That's what happened to me!  So yeah, I'd get it if I were you.  Before you check the box, I'd check pricing with Gatorstep directly.  I just priced it on their website and the entire top deck is $473.  I don't know what Malibu is charging you, but the nice thing about going direct is you get to choose whatever color you want!

Deckadance - You didn't ask about this but I'm going to be nosey... why not go Gatorstep here too?  It looks nice when you have the same material on the topdeck as the floor.  You can match both the material, texture, and color.  You can even go with your own custom logo.  Lots of flexibility and fun to customize your boat.  I think you're design would look SICK with black Gatorstep.  I'd even put it on the swim platform to really keep the black/yellow theme going.  Why add boring factory gray to mix??

Zero Off - Yes, do it.  I mean, I get the value of the paddle wheel (i.e. river), but absent a current it's so nice to just trust the speed.  The wheel requires calibration and you're forever wondering if it's right. 

Evo Cover - Short story here... When I ordered my first Malibu I read all the rave reviews about Evo cover on TMC.  It seemed to be one of those rare things everybody on the forum agreed about.  So I ordered my first Bu with an Evo cover supplied by my dealer (i.e. skip factory cover).  It was a break-even proposition.  When I took delivery of the boat it was snowing in Portland that day.  So we went to the put the cover on and it was TIGHT.  So tight I swore it was made too small.  Well it wasn't.  That's just how they are made, and it's part of their genius (don't worry, they stretch out a little).  So I followed this approach on five boats in a row!  The fun part of Evo is you can order any color you want and even have them do custom stitching (I typically do black + red stitching).  The Evo was the first cover I ever had that didn't come with a pole... it's so tight it doesn't need it.  It comes with hang tight loop sewn in, but I honestly never use it.  Even without that it will never pool, and the water just sheets right off the cover's seemingly soft, but water resistant surface.  I also love the fact that they use a simple rope to cinch it down, way easier than a strap cuz it never flips or gets twisted.  Also, instead of that clanky ratchet system, with the rope you just pull as tight as you can and it stays!  So... fast forward to my 2017 boat.  The plan was to put it on a lift and I figured the looser GL factory cover would be easier to put on the boat when in the slip.  Imagine that... purposely buying a cover because you know it fits worse.  LOL.  I was encouraged by the fact that Shanwdoggy likes the factory cover; he never leads me astray.  But I gotta say, I wasn't thrilled with it.  The GL cover flaps in the wind when you tow, and the first night I owned the boat I was outside at 1am bailing water out of the cover which had pooled badly just hours after getting the boat home.  So I'm going back to Evo.  P.S. I still trust the Doggy on all things boat and 12v related.  

Wheels - Just get 18's.  Spoil yourself!  Nobody regrets it.  If you just can't swallow that, I'd ask your dealer if they'll buy your factory wheels off you and you can go buy whatever you want at Discount Tire.  I've done that many times.  The dealer likes them cuz they have customers on steel wheels who like to upgrade to alloy.  Or they can sell them as spares.  

i hope this was helpful and worthy of my place on your list! :surfing:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

BlknYlw you aready have my fav T22 on the forum, so I'm glad you're not straying too far from the original.  

Lines have been drawn my friend...lines have been drawn. 

:sw2:

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

And the gold medal 

Stereo Pack 2 vs. 3 - I think the only difference are the tower speakers, right?  If you're determined to get it all from the factory and you never lower your tower, get the Rev 410's.  If you lower your tower frequently go with Pack 2.  If it was me, I'd probably skip the factory tower option and add my own WS or Exile setup.  With Malibu this is a no brainer as their tower speaker options are VERY expensive.  But I guess Axis pricing is more reasonable so I can see the temptation to go with factory.

SP 2 vs 3 is upgraded amps, in boat speakers, and tower upgrade per the local dealer here when I was spec’ing one out. He Didn’t go into detail  of what “upgraded” meant other than the obvious tower speaker difference of rev 410s vs rev 8s. Price difference, sp2 is 3649 msrp and sp3 is 5208. 

5208 for an installed system with 410s is just a banging value.  Yes, you might be able to DIY cheaper (but doubt it with 410s) if you value your time at $0.  I bet if you priced all of the components, you are basically paying MSRP and getting a "free" install.

The only reasons NOT to go with SP3 are (a) you fold the tower a lot (buh lee dis -- it's heavy enough with SP2) or (b) you don't really need/want that kind of brain melting tower speaker capacity.  But for the money the value is definitely there.  

And haha yeah, I don't live where it rains.  So take my cover thoughts with that in mind.

P.S. if you fold the tower a lot, AND you want to get sound projecting behind the boat, I'd do SP2 without towers and then get a single pair of Rev10s, which is louder at WB length but weighs the same as two pair of the icons.

The icons are great for in/around the boat and for surfing, but you won't mistake them for Rev10s with the WB handle in hand.

Man so many great responses and ideas, I am not sure it's any clearer on what to do. THANK YOU ALL FOR TAKING THE TIME! Members were tagged in no particular order and I apologize to anyone I forgot (like @Raimie:biggrin:

As far use, the boat is only used for surfing (besides the typical putting/cruising around the lake). 

- Prop - I do not want to run higher RPMs than necessary. With our current boat, we typically surf around 3500 RPMs (obviously affected some by weight). In my opinion the lower the better. is the 15x1575 the standard prop? We have 600s in the rear for our PNP currently but I have thought about getting 750s this time around. 

- SP2 vs SP3 - Have SP3 now and love it. I am only considering SP2 to save a little $$. If the inboats, sub, amps, and tower speakers are all different then it is a no brainer to splurge for SP3. I was always under the impression that the only difference was the tower speakers but this could have changed. 

- Zero Off - Sounds like Zero Off is a hands down yes. Make any sense to look at buying from another source than the factory?

- Z5 - I want the Z5 simply because I think the new bimini looks like an after thought. Even with the Z5, I will likely unpin it and put it in the garage when we are not at the lake. Too many spiders, pollen, and dirt to leave it on the boat all week when we aren't there to use it. I keep my stuff pretty dang clean....

- Gator Step, Decadence, or Carpet - This is a total toss up to me. The gator step doesn't provide much of a plush feel and the interior of the boat doesn't get wet. Everyone dries on the swim platform. I thought the decadence may be a nice upgraded "carpet" but maybe I can save some money and simply get the carpet. (Someone feel free to talk me out of this)

- Chillax Seat and Rear Facing Bench - This is something I am also on the fence about. Do I order the sliding bench and not the chillax? Skip both to save some $$? 

- Tricked Out Trailer - I love this look but my issue is the boat is on the lift all year. We don't take the boat anywhere except to get serviced. Just trying to cut costs where I can. Believe me we have even toyed with keeping the trailer we currently have. 

Edited by BlknYlwT22
1 hour ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

- Gator Step, Decadence, or Carpet - This is a total toss up to me. The gator step doesn't provide much of a plush feel and the interior of the boat doesn't get wet. Everyone dries on the swim platform. I thought the decadence may be a nice upgraded "carpet" but maybe I can save some money and simply get the carpet. (Someone feel free to talk me out of this)

- Tricked Out Trailer - I love this look but my issue is the boat is on the lift all year. We don't take the boat anywhere except to get serviced. Just trying to cut costs where I can. Believe me we have even toyed with keeping the trailer we currently have. 

For the flooring if it were me, I’d go carpet with gatorstep underneath. This would allow you to have the plush feel of the carpet but when it gets wet, take it out and you have beautiful gaterstep. 

For the trailer, I wouldn’t go with the basic chrome wheels(not even sure if you can). It’s amazing what a trailer can do to make a boat look a little nicer to a buyer.  So I would say not fancy but not plain wheels.

If you are looking to trim something you could do without zero off and 2nd tracking fin if you only surf  

You cannot un-option the sliding bench seat its standard.  The seat backs are an option.  We have never seen the need for rear facing seats especially in the middle of the boat so we are not getting seat backs. 

We also surf only and opted for SP2 minus two tower speakers and added surf pipe. I'm hoping the surf pipe quiets things enough to where two tower speakers is enough and am excited to have less to hit my head on. 

We are going rack free as our swivel racks went nearly unused. I think the number of people that hit their heads on our racks far out numbered the boards stored in them. 

We are delaying our order a bit since the new boat is not the only bundle of joy arriving this spring for us. We should have it in time to hit peak season. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

Z5 - I want the Z5 simply because I think the new bimini looks like an after thought. Even with the Z5, I will likely unpin it and put it in the garage when we are not at the lake. Too many spiders, pollen, and dirt to leave it on the boat all week when we aren't there to use it. I keep my stuff pretty dang clean....

AFAIK the z5 is no longer offered from the factory for 2018. You may need to look direct from manufacturer which may be quite a bit more expensive. 

3 hours ago, Anderson24 said:

AFAIK the z5 is no longer offered from the factory for 2018. You may need to look direct from manufacturer which may be quite a bit more expensive. 

You're right. I just assumed the dealer could order the bimini for me as if it were a part. I'm sure that there were people that have bought these boats in the past and wanted to buy the z5 after they took delivery. I could be wrong though.