Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to Upgrade Our T22

BlknYlwT22

Need some suggestions from the experts. Here are the options I am currently pricing the boat out with. Are there any options you would eliminate?

Boat

• High Altitude Prop
  • Flush Kit - Worth having?
  • Heater - 3 Outlet - Do the hoses still come out of the dash? Dumb design if you ask me. May eliminate this option as it is because we don't use ours often
  • Docking Lights
  • Underseat Lighting - White
  • Underwater Lighting
  • Stereo Pack 3 - Is there a big different between sound pack 2 and 3?
  • Quick Release Latch
  • (2) Spinner Board Racks
  • Tower Storage Pole
  • Surf Gate w/ Surfband
  • 2nd Gorrilla Tracking Fin
  • Power Wedge II
  • Chillax Cockpit Flip Up Seat - Is this still just the one on the port side or is there an additional one on the starboard side now? The video shows it on both sides but I have a feeling that isn't the case.
  • Stainless cup holders
  • Deck Track - should I get gator step instead?
  • Deckadence - May end up down grading to carpet
  • Depth Finder
  • Windshield Mount PTM 
  • Rear Slide Sky Box Seating
  • Seat Bolster
  • Zero Off
  • Dual Battery Switch - Does this include both batteries?
  • Pull Up Cleats
  • Sky Pylon
  • GL Bimini Top and Boot
  • Black Metallic Flake

Trailer

• 18 in HE1819 Ebony or 18 in XD811 RS2 Black - May end up ordering the 14s. I just hate the current wheel option. Would be far more interested if I could get the wheels picture on the Supra trailer.

• 342219.jpeg

• Matching Side Carrier Black w/ Wheel
  • SS Ratchet w/ Retractable Straps
  • Lighting Bezel Color Black
  • Runway Lights - May eliminate
  • Transom Step Aluminum
  • Tread Plates Aluminum 

And of course a few pictures of what I have designed so far. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEdty3MdhuLV2V4RnEyZUxHb0E/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxEdty3MdhuLcFQzUEszOEIwc1E/view?usp=sharing

Edited by BlknYlwT22

I would go for PTM clamping racks.  Once you use them you will never go back.  Looks like your going big on a lot of items, mind as well go all in.

The wetsounds soundpack 3 I heard on Monday was impressive, it was rocking the house.

There are two chillax pop seats available now on starboard and port side.

I had deckadence in my last boat and loved it, great stuff.

Another option now available on trailer is storage box, very handy if you tow a lot to store all your tools for changing a spare tire.

I believe heater vents are now mounted under drivers seat.  Much better location.

Why is there a supra in your pic?

Edited by Fman

Here is a pic of soundpack 3 and heater vent.  This is on A24.  Assuming would be same for T22.  Not sure about the light bar and how that is ordered.  Also a pic of new storage box.

20170821_153112.jpg

20170821_152449.jpg

20170823_111346.jpg

Edited by Fman

yea 2 wetsound 410 sp3

vs

2 pairs of icon 8 sp2

I will have to check on the A24 which amps they are but i think they are the same amps.

I will say i was pleasantly surprised with the SP2 options from the factory. Those icon 8s get loud!

My 2 cents

I have never been a fan of the flush kit, mainly b/c I don't like the adapter sticking out of the transom

It appears that the heater has one outlet at the drivers feet and 2 at the bottom of the seat base 

You will not be disappointed with SP3. (Not too many complaints on SP2 either)

From my understanding, still only one chillax seat. I could be wrong on this but I don't see how they could do this given the size and I think that's still where the cooler goes. I did see it in the video but I don't think that's the same boat. Again, I could be wrong on this.

Gator step or Sea Deck in instead of Deck Trek

Same with the carpet

I think 2 batteries are standard

I can't help much with the trailer. I've never been into trailer bling but the integrated tool box is pretty cool

Our dealer orders the axis (at least in 2017) with just fiberglass floors, then ordered seadek kit from sea deck as axis uses a different brand. I feel like he mentioned that axis was moving to sea deck this year

We have SP3 now but did upgrade the SYN6 to an SD6. Would I be disappointed going to SP2? When we surf we have the system cranked. I will agree that it is nearly impossible to collapse the tower with the 410s. We tried one time and swore it would be the last time we ever tried again. 

I'm not sure I'm sold on Gator Step / Sea Deck simply because its not plush. I have also read about it smudging and show cuts in it when things like wakeboards are dropped on it. 

Edited by BlknYlwT22

The G23 I was just on was a 2014 with gator grip/sea deck flooring.  Still looks brand new.  Not sure how many times people drop there wakeboards on the flooring???? I can't recall us ever doing that in last 9 years of owning a boat but I guess it could happen.

• Like 1

I have the deckadence carpet and we love it! We were gonna do the sea deck, but after spending some time in a 23LSV that had it we didn't really like it. I have the 2277 prop with the 6.0 liter.....I have factory ballast, 850's in the lockers, 650 under the bow (obviously doesn't fill all the way) and bought another 650 for the bow area and it still gets on plane pretty easily. The 18 will be heavier so there may be more of an issue. I def wanna check it out if you get a new one!

On 8/26/2017 at 11:20 AM, Fman said:

The G23 I was just on was a 2014 with gator grip/sea deck flooring.  Still looks brand new.  Not sure how many times people drop there wakeboards on the flooring???? I can't recall us ever doing that in last 9 years of owning a boat but I guess it could happen.

On our boat that would probably never happen. Like I said I think I worry about the plushness more than anything. 

On 8/26/2017 at 1:13 PM, NMG1973 said:

I have the deckadence carpet and we love it! We were gonna do the sea deck, but after spending some time in a 23LSV that had it we didn't really like it. I have the 2277 prop with the 6.0 liter.....I have factory ballast, 850's in the lockers, 650 under the bow (obviously doesn't fill all the way) and bought another 650 for the bow area and it still gets on plane pretty easily. The 18 will be heavier so there may be more of an issue. I def wanna check it out if you get a new one!

We will see what happens. Probably need to get a new lift and that will likely be the limiting factor. I don't think the 5k will get it done with the new boat loaded with fuel.

+1 for deckadence, will be installing this winter in my LSV.  I also prefer it over gator grip.  I put 200 hours on it on my 22vlx and still looked brand new.  Feels great on your feet.

You can probably do a T22 yourself for  $600-$700.  It won't have a logo and you would need to cut it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

Dealer quoted me an MSRP of 91k with these options. That doesn't seem possible. Can anyone tell me if I am missing something here? @Anderson24 willing to weigh?

My msrp was more than that. But I did have a few extra options off the top of my head. Soft grip flooring, cushions for sliding rear seat, hydraulic steering, tower mounted mirror, bow step...

you have a couple small items I don't have however. Without looking at my build sheet it's hard to nail it down exactly. 

2 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

My msrp was more than that. But I did have a few extra options off the top of my head. Soft grip flooring, cushions for sliding rear seat, hydraulic steering, tower mounted mirror, bow step...

you have a couple small items I don't have however. Without looking at my build sheet it's hard to nail it down exactly. 

That confuses me all the more then. Dealer sent me an options list with prices, which I assumed was MSRP pricing. I'm at 80k MSRP based off of that sheet. I wish I could attach a document - I'd like to have your eyes on this. 

25 minutes ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

That confuses me all the more then. Dealer sent me an options list with prices, which I assumed was MSRP pricing. I'm at 80k MSRP based off of that sheet. I wish I could attach a document - I'd like to have your eyes on this. 

There is MSRP pricing...then dealer pricing (or what they are charging you). Your dealer pricing is what you are able to negotiate off of msrp. I have heard anywhere from 5-10% off for Axis...up to 20-25% off depending on timing/dealer/location, etc.

My msrp pricing was higher than what you posted...but is not what I paid. I would probably be going through a divorce if I paid the msrp. 

You quoted Msrp of 91k...but then msrp of 80k. Assuming you meant msrp of 91k...and dealer wants to charge you 80k?

Edited by Anderson24
13 hours ago, Anderson24 said:

There is MSRP pricing...then dealer pricing (or what they are charging you). Your dealer pricing is what you are able to negotiate off of msrp. I have heard anywhere from 5-10% off for Axis...up to 20-25% off depending on timing/dealer/location, etc.

My msrp pricing was higher than what you posted...but is not what I paid. I would probably be going through a divorce if I paid the msrp. 

You quoted Msrp of 91k...but then msrp of 80k. Assuming you meant msrp of 91k...and dealer wants to charge you 80k?

I'm fully aware of all of that - I guess I am just confused by the pricing that was sent over to me on a sheet that listed all options available for the 2018 T22. After thinking about it, I have a feeling the base price has been listed incorrectly on this sheet. Can you PM me an email address so I can send you a couple of docs?

18 minutes ago, BlknYlwT22 said:

I'm fully aware of all of that - I guess I am just confused by the pricing that was sent over to me on a sheet that listed all options available for the 2018 T22. After thinking about it, I have a feeling the base price has been listed incorrectly on this sheet. Can you PM me an email address so I can send you a couple of docs?

Something seems off for sure. Yea I'll pm you

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2017 at 7:19 PM, BlknYlwT22 said:
  •  

Flush Kit - Worth having? -

Not if you don't use it in salt water. I don't think you can run the engine with just the flush kit without burning up the impeller, so that's no use for me. Who needs to flush out fresh water?

Heater - 3 Outlet - Do the hoses still come out of the dash? Dumb design if you ask me. May eliminate this option as it is because we don't use ours often

Love this option. Kids use it all the time. But we also boat in Utah and sometimes at over 7000 feet. We basically have a 4-5 month season, and that's with wetsuits for 3 of those months. 

Docking Lights

I use them enough to be glad I bought them. They're pretty good for docking but do nothing while running at full speed in the dark. In fact, a big spotlight doesn't do much for that either.

Stereo Pack 3 - Is there a big different between sound pack 2 and 3?

I got 2 and have had a tower speaker buzzing problem the entire time I've owned the boat. The dealership/Malibu can't seem to fix it. I've given up. Maybe SP3 wouldn't have had that issue.

(2) Spinner Board Racks

Glad I got this.

Surf Gate w/ Surfband

Not available on my 2015, but I'd use it if I had it. My surfband consists of pointing L and R to the driver.

2nd Gorrilla Tracking Fin

I have it. Not sure it makes a big difference. But I have steered for 20 miles with just a paddle after the rudder fell off.

Power Wedge II

I've got the manual. It's not a big deal. But maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Chillax Cockpit Flip Up Seat - Is this still just the one on the port side or is there an additional one on the starboard side now? The video shows it on both sides but I have a feeling that isn't the case.

Wish I hadn't bought these. Never use them. I have one on both sides. Would prefer NOT to have them as it would be easier to load stuff.

Stainless cup holders

I have plastic. If you want bling, buy a Malibu.

Deck Track - should I get gator step instead?

I have deckadence, wish I had gotten gator step.

Deckadence - May end up down grading to carpet

Why not just gator step on the floor?

Depth Finder

Mandatory

Rear Slide Sky Box Seating

Never use it. Is it even an option not to get it?

Zero Off

Paddle wheel works fine for me.

Dual Battery Switch - Does this include both batteries?

Yes.

Pull Up Cleats

Glad I got all 3 sets.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to get serious on this again. Both the Axis and Malibu are now for sale. Time for you all to help me with my options list. 

I am finalizing a T22 build too.  My dealer said the second battery is included but I could see this being something each dealer does differently. 

Most options are good options and it just depends on how you use the boat. The one option I don't like is Deck track comes in black only.  Unless someone wants black there is no good reason to not buy this directly from gatorstep and get to pick your color. 

I have never felt the need for rear facing seating so no chillax or sliding seat backs (wish I could un-option the sliding seat all together) 

We surf 100% of the time and compete as amateurs.  My wife actually got an invite to worlds this year. Our T22 is going to be a stripped down surf machine.  We are financing so pretty much any option that can be added afterwards we are going to add after and pay cash.  Example, rear ballast 750s are a $600 option.  I don't want to take out a loan on overpriced ballast bags.

Here's our option list

Torque - 15 x 1425

Exhaust - Surf Pipe

Plug N Play Ballast Plumbing - HI Flo w/Auto Vent

Surf Gate w/Axis Surfband

Wedge - Power Wedge II

Depth Finder

Seat Bolster - Flip Up (Drivers)

Removable Carpet 

Dual Battery Switch (Cable and Boxes Included)

Pull Up Cleats - Two Pair

CS Bimini Top and Boot - w/Rope Storage and Surf Board Storage

CS Boat Cover w/Taps 2 and Swimboard Cover

Trailer and Trailer Options

SS Ratchet w/ Retractable Straps

Stereo Option - Pack 2 REMOVING 2 SPEAKERS FOR CREDIT

No board racks. Our board racks are empty most of the time and are just in the way.  People always seem to hit them when entering the boat maybe they are more out of the way on newer towers?  Most of the time it's just my wife and I surfing and have a board bag in the boat anyway. 

I like the idea of only two tower speakers for head room in the boat and hoping with surf pipe I won't notice the difference when surfing. 

1 hour ago, Raimie said:

@vanamp have you been able to demo? Just wondering if the Torque prop is necessary with the PWII lift feature.

Yes we did demo, but don't have a good answer for you.  Fully weighted  there was zero struggle getting to surf speed but I did noticed the RPMs were a little high when were using more aggressive wedge positions. So I essentially have the same question as you,  but know the Torque prop does the job and once we get the wave dialed in we will re-evaluate.  Worst case scenario the Torque prop will make a good spare. 

My wife loved the wave and we were the first to dial it in with our dealer.  Only took about 15 minutes to get a wave we were sold on.  Our '12 A22 puts out a very fun/huge wave but when we would jump behind a G, RI or M235 in contest the wave shape was so different it was like a completely different sport.  The newer axis Hulls and power wedge are "game changers" for this price point.