Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Axis A24 first impressions

Fman

One reason they separated the center seat backs is so people can move front to back with a center cut out.  It actually works out pretty good this way, it's good for two peeps.

Vinyl is also upgraded with a better foam pad, feels more comfortable and I believe will wear better long term.

Sorry about the wave pics, I was on a few different boats that day and did not take any wave pics.  Was able to get out on the T22, 23 LSV, MC NXT 23 and Nautique GS.  They had some competitor boats out there for comparison reasons which was nice to see.

The A24 imo took the prize for best surf and wake between all of the boats I was on.

The pw2 on these Axis boats are huge #gamechanger:)

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

I like them separate. It allows you to step through as you are moving through the boat. Thinking that's why they did them like that. Or maybe it's because they think we all are the size of 6 year olds. 

Great point.

12 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

I like them separate. It allows you to step through as you are moving through the boat. Thinking that's why they did them like that. Or maybe it's because they think we all are the size of 6 year olds. 

Two full size adults fit comfortably on the rear facing seat.

1 hour ago, Fman said:

his boat is a must demo for someone in the market for a 24'5" boat.  I can't think of anything that comes close to wake performance for this pricepoint.

Any idea what the price point is this year?

This boat is a bargain buy when you start comparing to the 24-25' segment of the market among all brands.  You can definitely option down to drop the price and still keep the necessity for wake performance.  The 17" prop, 2:1 trans, 409 engine are standard.

Edited by Fman

I wish the sliding seat was an option.  I can never see a need for a seat in the middle of my boat.  Maybe if I had a pro riding but other than that, none of us are doing anything cool enough to have a seat dedicated to watching. 

2 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Any idea what the price point is this year?

2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Looks like that boat isn't missing any options. I'm guessing around 90k

Nailed it.  I priced one out at my dealer right over the 90K mark.  I built a 2016 at very close to that price.  Not much of a price increase from apples to apples.  A lot of my upgrades are now standard such as the 409 and the stainless cup holders and what not.  

A few critical points.  I did not like the new seats.  They are much firmer than the old ones.  I found them to be much less comfortable.  I also miss the larger bow and sunpad.  They moved the helm forward and the the sunpad back, giving A LOT more space in the cabin. I currently get a lot of bow riders.  Most want to get away from the noise and action of the cabin.  I think that will be hindered in the new A24.  

All that being said.  The new boat is AWESOME!!  I really think they made a lot of great changes.  And it definitely performs well.  If I was looking to upgrade today it would definitely be the one to beat, for me.

2 hours ago, BamaA24 said:

What size PNP can go in the rear lockers and in the bow?

Don't quote me on this but I believe for the demo they were running 650 bow bag, 550 PnP rears plus hard tanks and  power wedge 2.

Pretty confident you could go 1100s in rear lockers or right around there.  The lockers are good size.

Nice videos of A24

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, wedge88 said:

@Fman Thoughts/reviews of the T22?  You can PM if you have any information but the T22 really has my eye right now.   

T22 was also great, would say on par with my '17 LSV for surf wave and wakeboard wake.  I like the new features added in the T22.  The A24 was a different level, although the T22 definitely holds its own for a 22'er.  Pw2 a must imo on any Axis.

8 minutes ago, Fman said:

T22 was also great, would say on par with my '17 LSV for surf wave and wakeboard wake.  I like the new features added in the T22.  The A24 was a different level, although the T22 definitely holds its own for a 22'er.  Pw2 a must imo on any Axis.

I like this review. A lot. :rockon:

• Like 3
4 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

Has the PNP been upgraded to match the Malibu's in regards to fill rates and line sizes?

Unless the lines got bigger, Axis has had 1-1/8" lines since 2014.

Edited by TexasA24

im pretty sure they are bigger. i will check my lines when i get home

with the batteries in the nose, is there a smaller bag or is it just in a different spot?

Edited by agarabaghi
ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, agarabaghi said:

im pretty sure they are bigger. i will check my lines when i get home

with the batteries in the nose, is there a smaller bag or is it just in a different spot?

Pretty sure the bow ballast is a tank now. They mentioned it in the walk through video. I believe they said it is bigger too.

could be. i guess the 2017 are rear left / right and center hard tanks and then a bag fro the box? im not sure 

as i thought plug n play was 3 bags? ... yet theres 4 buttons normally so i thought it was 4 hard tanks and 3 bags with hi flow system

The sliding seat on rails is so much better than the fold/tumble seats.  Being as i have a fairly good idea where they got the concept, do seatback also reverse?  

While i dont think it would work well in a 22', adding a second slide is awesomeness in the big boats.   The problem worth any of the reverse seating is when deployed it leaves rear bench wonky and makes ingres egress to the back odd.

We added second slide seat, it solves all of the issues, and the interior is big enough that having the 2nd bench doesn't cramp the interior.   I can't speak for the axis, but my leanbacks are VERY comfy, the center seat is frequently preferred over the standard seats. 

Yes being able to step between is much easier than going around. 

46 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Pretty sure the bow ballast is a tank now. They mentioned it in the walk through video. I believe they said it is bigger too.

It's still a bag.  They have a new "V" style bag for the bow.