Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 VTX Depth - Bad Status

I've searched the forums and found a post from a couple years ago but there was no resolution posted.

This past weekend we were on the lake and the depth guage started reading 400ft for about 30 seconds. Now the center display just reads Bad Status.

Has anybody had this happen and know of a fix for it? I'm hoping it's something I can take care of myself but I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks

If the gauge depth display reads "bad" it usually means that the depth module is not getting power, or is not working.  You can check the red wire going into the module under the dash for voltage (not the round grey center plug).  If it doesn't have power, check your wire, if it does, your module is probably bad and you can get a replacement for $300 to $400.  If the module is working, but you get incorrect readings (in less than 100 ft of water) then you probably need a transducer.  You can get a replacement for that too, if you need it.

• 8 months later...
On 8/21/2017 at 11:47 AM, 1984ta said:

I've searched the forums and found a post from a couple years ago but there was no resolution posted.

This past weekend we were on the lake and the depth guage started reading 400ft for about 30 seconds. Now the center display just reads Bad Status.

Has anybody had this happen and know of a fix for it? I'm hoping it's something I can take care of myself but I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks

Hey 1984ta, did you ever figure this out? I ha the the same “bad” status on my depth display. I’m going to check the wire tomorrow, hopefully I can avoid the $400 depth module.

Nope - the boat has been in storage since last fall but I'm hoping to get it out later this week or early next week.  If you figure it out a heads up would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 9:03 PM, dkscism said:

Hey 1984ta, did you ever figure this out? I ha the the same “bad” status on my depth display. I’m going to check the wire tomorrow, hopefully I can avoid the $400 depth module.

dkscism - I finally got around to looking into the depth finder issue last night.  My ground wire had broken off so once I hooked it back up everything works fine again.