Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-drive with Best ski wake

Jbru4

Good morning all. We are currently in a 2001 Response LX and love the ski wake for recreational slalom. Now the kids are older and bigger and we need more room but don't want to give up the wake.

What model/year V- drive has the best ski wake???

Thank you for your help

MalibuNation

I really like my 2003 21' Sunscape LSV with diamond hull.  With a driver and spotter up front the wake is decent over 30 mph.

How big is your crew and what is your budget?

How hardcore are you guys about slalom?  Any course work or only open water?  What's the boat speed for your slowest skier?

21 LSV up until 2005 redesign had a really good slalom wake.  It dropped off slightly after that.

20 LSV/Wakesetter VTX on the diamond hull up until 2016 is pretty similar to above.  Some say better, some say about the same.  The 2016 redesign hardened the wakes up considerably.

2001 Sunsetter VLX is same running surface as the 21 LSV BTW, but it's not any newer than your RLX.

No matter what you end up with though, it's not going to compare to your Response.  Simple physics.

• Like 3

How old are your kids?  They may want to get into surfing so I'd plan for that. if I was to move from my sunsetter lxi here's what I'd do look into:

2013-2015 vtx with surfgate is the "king" of crossover.

2013-2016 the nautique 200 with NSS. I've not skied behind it but the reviews are pretty solid.

that being said, you might consider the '99-2004 sunsetter lxi. Tons of space, and as close to your response for skiing that you will find for a family boat. Still a DD though, and the stepped transom makes surfing virtually impossible.

Edited by braindamage

Best wake is any VTX up to 2015.  If you don't surf then you can get a much better deal on 2012 or older.  2013-2015 have the ugliest looking dash of any Malibu in my opinion, but I like having the analog tach and speedo of the earlier VTX

I've heard mixed things about the Nautique sport 200's

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:24 AM, Jbru4 said:

Good morning all. We are currently in a 2001 Response LX and love the ski wake for recreational slalom. Now the kids are older and bigger and we need more room but don't want to give up the wake.

What model/year V- drive has the best ski wake???

Thank you for your help

Like others have said try a 20 VTX from 2013 to 2015. Demo is best to suit your needs if possible. We came from a 95 Mastercraft prostar and only slalomed the course. This boat does it (not as good) but gets it done unless you are 35 off or better. Open water skiing is great.  Surfs well and fits in our garage. It was a great choice for us--no regrets. Our crew is small tho, usually 4 or maybe 5. Good luck!!

All

Thank you four the info very helpful. Just skiied the nautique GS20. Amazing boat. Tons of technology. However wake was really rough at 33mph at 22 off. 15 off might be manageable. But for $100k I'm out!  I'm going to take a run on a VTX. 

UW skier 

Wee are on Redstone. Daughter goes to Madison. What lake are you on? 

ahopkins22LSV

The 13-15 vtx is really good as mentioned. The center pylon is nice because it helps with tracking a lot. Skiing from the center pylon 22 off puts you in front of the typical 22 off bump of direct drives at 34&36mph. I was very impressed with it. 

2015 would be my target year because of power wedge 2 and zero off was standard. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
1 minute ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

The 13-15 vtx is really good as mentioned. The center pylon is nice because it helps with tracking a lot. Skiing from the center pylon 22 off puts you in front of the typical 22 off bump of direct drives at 34&36mph. I was very impressed with it. 

Only issue is that once you are skiing off the center pylon you have the same lack of space that a DD has.

Edited by oldjeep
ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Only issue is that once you are skiing off the center pylon you have the same lack of space that a DD has.

True, but it's only temporary when you are skiing. Just me but I'd rather not have 5+ people in the boat to ski lol. 

@Badger can provide good input for a 2015. I believe he still likes to ski from the rear pylon and 15 off puts him behind the rooster tail.

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

True, but it's only temporary when you are skiing. Just me but I'd rather not have 5+ people in the boat to ski lol. 

@Badger can provide good input for a 2015. I believe he still likes to ski from the rear pylon and 15 off puts him behind the rooster tail.

I ski with 4-5 in the boat most of the time.  It is why I bought it ;) 

The wake is nice at 15 off on the rear pylon

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Jbru4 said:

All

Thank you four the info very helpful. Just skiied the nautique GS20. Amazing boat. Tons of technology. However wake was really rough at 33mph at 22 off. 15 off might be manageable. But for $100k I'm out!  I'm going to take a run on a VTX. 

UW skier 

The Malibu lives up north on Lake Lucerne.  I mostly ski with friends in Oconomowoc.  Is your daughter on the ski team?  If not, she should be!  :)

Edited by UWSkier

I tried the cross-over route a couple times.  I'd suggest becoming a two boat family.  Keep the response, you know and I assume love it.  Buy a V-drive.  Once you have two boats, you won't go back.  Lets say your response is worth 15K-maybe 20K.  Buy a couple year old V-drive that has depreciated some, maybe a 2015 23 LSV.  Heck if you were thinking of a 100K GS20, there is plenty of NEW 2016 leftovers and 2017 isn't shaping up to be a great year in boat sales.  Just check the web, lots of inventory.  2018 are loading on truck NOW. 

If you have a house on the lake, easy.  If not focus your sport on which boat you want to use that day.  We've owned two boats since 2007 and three for a couple years.  The third was a barefoot only 93 Bu Flightcraft.

I'm not of a fame of the crossover.  I wouldn't call an I/O Sea-ray a crossover.  But if you are coming from an I/O to a "crossover (VDrive)" you will think you have died and went to heaven.   IMO crossovers are to get the I/O market to come over not the direct drive market to go Vdrive.  You can ski every "crossover" and you will respond the same as you did above. 

On 8/21/2017 at 10:25 AM, Jbru4 said:

Just skiied the nautique GS20. Amazing boat. Tons of technology. However wake was really rough at 33mph at 22 off. 15 off might be manageable. 

Kinda disappointed with this review.  I was hoping they got the ski part of that boat a little more dialed in.  Can't escape the dry weight I guess.  I'd like some choices when I get around the next boat.

Thanks again to all.  Going to test out a 2014 Sport Nautique 200V.  They are saying ii is as good as anyone is going to get at crossover.  We'll see..........

Just now, Jbru4 said:

Thanks again to all.  Going to test out a 2014 Sport Nautique 200V.  They are saying ii is as good as anyone is going to get at crossover.  We'll see..........

This boat felt much smaller than our VTX.  Not sure what the actual dimensions were, but the bow was tiny.  Also they never made the NSS available for the 200V, so that is a major omission.  However, we use a Delta Surf Tab and it works really well.  Might be fine if you aren't focussed on surfing.   But if you are going to get a crossover, it should really surf.

• Like 1

So if you want to see some wakes from the older ski-V, here you go.  Not the best skiing, but gives you an idea.  This is with four people in the boat and 1/2 tank of fuel.

30 MPH, 15 off, 5'9" skinny female who can run the course at this speed/length.

https://goo.gl/photos/1QZruDwLuhLvvqEb8

34 MPH, 22 off, 6'3" skinny 63 year old who doesn't really hold his edge enough through the wakes.  This is the worst possible length on most boats, this one included.  Really need to hold your edge.

https://goo.gl/photos/teMrzZk3kNd5YHr26

34 MPH, 28 off, 6'5" fat guy (me).

https://goo.gl/photos/G7W2wD2RgJnWhxzv5

34 MPH, 32 off, same fat guy who apparently forgot how to make an on-side turn there at the end.

https://goo.gl/photos/D21DHRvztTHUExpv6

I've never noticed the starboard chine spray when skiing unless it's a strong strong headwind, but it's there in the video.  Think it's mostly due to 3 pax on the port side and only driver on starboard.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 2
16 minutes ago, Jbru4 said:

Thank you for the videos.  That 22' off is definitely tough. 

It is, but it's not always as bad as the video makes it look though either.  My dad is recovering from two knee surgeries so he doesn't edge through both wakes like he should.  He's pretty flat by the time he hits that kicker of a rooster tail and sortof pops off it.  Also, with a driver and spotter only and them both sitting in the driver's and observer's seat respectively, it's a fair bit better.

36 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

So if you want to see some wakes from the older ski-V, here you go.  Not the best skiing, but gives you an idea.  This is with four people in the boat and 1/2 tank of fuel.

30 MPH, 15 off, 5'9" skinny female who can run the course at this speed/length.

https://goo.gl/photos/1QZruDwLuhLvvqEb8

34 MPH, 22 off, 6'3" skinny 63 year old who doesn't really hold his edge enough through the wakes.  This is the worst possible length on most boats, this one included.  Really need to hold your edge.

https://goo.gl/photos/teMrzZk3kNd5YHr26

34 MPH, 28 off, 6'5" fat guy (me).

https://goo.gl/photos/G7W2wD2RgJnWhxzv5

34 MPH, 32 off, same fat guy who apparently forgot how to make an on-side turn there at the end.

https://goo.gl/photos/D21DHRvztTHUExpv6

I've never noticed the starboard chine spray when skiing unless it's a strong strong headwind, but it's there in the video.  Think it's mostly due to 3 pax on the port side and only driver on starboard.

great to see some video. Is this all behind your sunsetter vlx?

15 minutes ago, asp13 said:

great to see some video. Is this all behind your sunsetter vlx?

Yep.  From the VLX with a ski-doc Orbit tracker with the Wakeye camera app for Android.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:25 AM, Jbru4 said:

All

UW skier 

Disappointed to hear this. The GS is my front runner for my next boat. ( still a few years down the road )

• Like 1