Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Malibu VTX prop - 2247 or 2277

baltfan

Currently have 2401 prop.  Really labors with added ballast.  Looking for a different prop.  Mainly surf and board.  Do slalom some but won't be running any courses, though I am a very good slalom skier.  Generally slalom at 35 mph just because the wake is better at that speed would be fine slightly slower if the wake were fine  

We surf more than we board.  Generally boat isn't loaded down a ton as we run from a dock.  Not at high altitude  

Any suggestion for which prop is best.  Ideally want the best prop for surfing, but if it is awful for skiing or boarding probably wouldn't want to make sacrifice. 

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with these props especially in tradeoffs of surfing vs slalom as I suspect there is little effect on boarding. 

Thanks 

7 hours ago, Lees23 said:

PNP?  Do you have added bow weight?  Getting the bow down will help a ton. 

Yes, PNP.  I am now seeing that I probably need to get the bow down more.  

Would love to know what settings others are using with PNP bags and without for surfing

I run the custom wake maker bags in the back with a 600 pound ronix triangle full up front.  We fill everything to the top (incl factory ballast)  With three adults and a full tank of gas. we surf at approx 10.5mph and set the wedge about half way between lift and stow depending on who is surfing.  We can literally see the gas gauge dropping as we surf it uses so much.   We have the 2277 prop.  Anymore people in the boat and we need to drain some ballast.

ive always wanted to try a different prop to get a softer ski wake, but here in New Zealand a prop is about $1200, so if it does not work it's pretty expensive trial.