Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'16 LSV - when the clock is wrong the boat start (sometimes)!

How is that for a thread title? ;-)

I THINK I am having a weird SW/FW glitch, but not sure......here is what is going on:

Approximately 25% of the time when I power on the boat my clock on the dash is off by 14 hours.  If its 6:00pm PST the clock will read -8:00am .  No idea why it is throwing in the "negative" in front of the hour, but it is.  Before you ask, yes, the time zone is correct down to DST set.  Sometimes cycling the power (perko - not just ignition) will solve this, sometimes not.  If it doesn't, I have to do a full system reset which is a PITA as I have to then reset all my wakeboarding and surf settings (they go back to default), etc.   The far bigger issue - maybe 25% of the time when the clock is off (25% of the 25% if your still following) the boat wont start.  The starter just cranks and cranks, but the boat wont fire.  The only way I can stop the ignition cranking is to turn off the power (at the dash).  I then cycle the perko, and the boat will start.  

For ignition you need air, fuel, and spark.  I know I have air and fuel, which leaves spark which means its an electrical issue.  The ONLY correlation to the boat not starting is when the clock is off - when the clock is right I don't have any issues ever. 

I think I have the most up to date software - MY2016VIPER2-10-2016 

Dealer cant help me till they can repeat it, no way to do that as I need to cycle the power to get off the lake.  Apparently the boat isn't throwing codes.

Any suggestions?  Thanks for reading.....

-Justin

2 hours ago, JustinH said:

How is that for a thread title? ;-)

I THINK I am having a weird SW/FW glitch, but not sure......here is what is going on:

Approximately 25% of the time when I power on the boat my clock on the dash is off by 14 hours.  If its 6:00pm PST the clock will read -8:00am .  No idea why it is throwing in the "negative" in front of the hour, but it is.  Before you ask, yes, the time zone is correct down to DST set.  Sometimes cycling the power (perko - not just ignition) will solve this, sometimes not.  If it doesn't, I have to do a full system reset which is a PITA as I have to then reset all my wakeboarding and surf settings (they go back to default), etc.   The far bigger issue - maybe 25% of the time when the clock is off (25% of the 25% if your still following) the boat wont start.  The starter just cranks and cranks, but the boat wont fire.  The only way I can stop the ignition cranking is to turn off the power (at the dash).  I then cycle the perko, and the boat will start.  

For ignition you need air, fuel, and spark.  I know I have air and fuel, which leaves spark which means its an electrical issue.  The ONLY correlation to the boat not starting is when the clock is off - when the clock is right I don't have any issues ever. 

I think I have the most up to date software - MY2016VIPER2-10-2016 

Dealer cant help me till they can repeat it, no way to do that as I need to cycle the power to get off the lake.  Apparently the boat isn't throwing codes.

Any suggestions?  Thanks for reading.....

-Justin

Justin, have you double checked your battery terminal connections they are not coming loose?  Are you keeping your batteries on the charger when not being used?

Malibu doesn't wire the power/memory wires from the "black box" directly to the battery, they go through the perko switch. In order for the radio (what displays the time on the dash via a data connection) the black box has to keep accurate time. You'll need to wire the black box memory wire directly to the battery. I believe that the '16 boats still used the RFX-6000 black box, if so, you'll need to connect the yellow wire directly to a battery. Setting the clock correctly isn't easy either, check out my instructions here:

41 minutes ago, mikeo said:

Malibu doesn't wire the power/memory wires from the "black box" directly to the battery, they go through the perko switch. In order for the radio (what displays the time on the dash via a data connection) the black box has to keep accurate time. You'll need to wire the black box memory wire directly to the battery. I believe that the '16 boats still used the RFX-6000 black box, if so, you'll need to connect the yellow wire directly to a battery. Setting the clock correctly isn't easy either, check out my instructions here

Oh if this works I'm going to be thrilled.  That time error bugs me so much.

I'm definitely not a computer guru like @mikeobut seeing as you don't have a lot of options right now i would start with elementary tactics.  Batteries charged, connections on batteries checked, no loose fuses, double check all connections under the helm, loose ground wires, etc.  Probably a long shot but I do know these new touch screens systems don't like low voltage or voltage fluctuations.

The time clock could be totally dumb luck not even really related to the starting problem. 

Fwiw my clock has also had some intermittent time displays only displaying a couple lines.  It's never affected how the boat performs or caused any issues starting.  I guess I don't really care what time it is on the water....:)

Edited by Fman
  • 9 months later...

Last year my boat use to do the no start and you would have to let it crank the 10 seconds and then try and push start again.  In the same month i got a new 7 inch screen because that went out as well. I did tighten all connections from battery to motor.  And knock on wood hasen't happened this year again.  My clock as well randomly goes to -5:30 and then goes backwards. Its very random.

I have a 2015 VLX also and the clock has never worked properly. It would show weird times and (-) signs as stated above. I also went through all of those optional clock setting procedures for 12 and 24 hr, etc. Nothing seemed to work. 

The dealership has also been very helpful in trying to solve this problem and troubleshoot. We put in a new GPS puck and that did not work. 

It is now June 2018 and the dealer replaced the VIPER unit (newer unit). The clock is working better (sometimes it works for awhile), but it will still change to weird times. 

I am now having a new issue with the screen flickering  after about 15 -20 minutes of boating. I did not have this issue with the old screen.

The dealership is still working with me on this, but am wondering if anyone has any new information on the clock or this flickering issue.

Also did rewiring the yellow wire to the battery solve the clock issues?

I also have never had any issues with starting my boat.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to dealer and they put the new software on mine over winter and its still doing the clock thing.  Just have to use my phone i guess.