Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

99 Response LX Zero Off conversion

@gregy:  Cool, looking forward to following your conversion progress / process, congrats on finding the mule & fire away.  Are you going to use the engine 'as is' or are you using it as a parts bin and swapping the needed parts over, indication is use as is from your post?  Did you get the DBW throttle assembly?  Did something happen to the existing engine or are you simply wanting the ZO conversion?  When you swap manifolds, the starter will probably need the original bell housing for location. 

@WoodskiI did not get the DBW throttle so its something else I have to figure out.  I've seen a Nautique 196 conversion the mounted the sensor on the motor and simple hooked it up to the throttle cable.  I found one of these on Ebay and it just came in today.  I plan on using the new engine.  My old engine is still running I just wanted Zero Off.  I almost bought a Zero Off boat last year but the company I work for has gone through several sales over the last couple years and I just didn't want to commit to a big boat payment. 

Edited by gregy

I'll use my original transmission that has the starter low and on the side.  Maybe I can get a few dollars for the parts that are on there.   Here's the throttle sensor from Ebay.  Its an assembly with a Positioning sensor and mount.  The sensor looks to be the same as my friends 2007 DBW Response just mounted differently and it is part of the shifter assembly. 

Throttle1.jpg

Throttle2.jpg

On 8/16/2017 at 8:59 PM, gregy said:

I'm going to be working on this the next few months.  I bought a 2012 Indmar 5.7 Engine I want to use for the conversion.   I'm going to try and go as cheap as possible and may need some of the Crew's knowledge for a few things.   Engine was originally a V-drive so I have to flip the manifolds around for sure.  It came with the engine wiring harness and E-control computer.   I looked at a friends 2007 RLxi with Zero off and the engine looks very similar.

ResponseLX.jpg

Our boats look similar too.  Looking forward to our mutual projects!

BuAlturas.jpg

My swim step looks better than in this pic though.  Here is another.

IMG_6154.jpg

IMG_6155.JPG

To the others, we have a tentative plan where I will be installing his Perfect Pass In mine, with the stargazer and z-box, which should work fine for my needs. 

PS, those old numbers are finally going away too with the new Idaho numbers.  Going to use a nicer set of stickers for it.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw
  • 2 weeks later...

Wanted to do a quick update.  I found some Indmar and PCM Manuals online plus Indmar was nice enough to email me a schematic for the engine wiring.  Between the boat and Zero off I found that there 3 different brands of connectors involved.  Then 3 different styles of Delphi connectors.  I decided to build my own cables.  I can eliminate some connectors that way plus make a nice custom install without a lot of extra wiring and connectors.  I was able to find the buzzer Zero off uses.  i order an amber Check engine light from Painless wiring.   I've got all the connectors organized and labeled in divided boxes.  This week the plan is to order a single antenna and cable from Zero Off.  I think I have a Zero Off Head Unit sourced from Ski-it-again.  I'm going to use the cable that comes with the antenna but cut the connectors off of one end and put them directly into the connector for the Head unit.  I had order a CAN communication cable off of Ebay that was at some marine surplus place.  The cable is a twisted pair and now looking at it I really could have just order a twisted pair of CAN cable.   I'm going to end up cutting the connectors of both ends and wire them straight into other connectors.   Also plan on ordering wires this week.  I want to try and color match the stock colors as much as possible.  Painless Wiring has good selection of wire colors but I'll do a little more research before I order.

Connectors.jpg

Edited by gregy
  • 3 weeks later...

I was bored tonight so good time to mount the antenna.  I've collected just about everything that I think I need, however its still nice skiing weather I'll probably wait a little longer to tear into the boat.   I'm using a single antenna which has an accelerometer built into it so it has to be mounted pointed properly.  There is an arrow on top of the antenna that should point in the direction of movement.  It has adhesive tap to mount it. 

antenna puck.jpg

Antenna back.jpg

• Like 1

I used a 4 ft level as a straight edge.  Put some masking tape down and made some alignment marks.   Progressively drilled the hole out to 7/8" then used some files to square out the hole.  Removed the masking tape in the area of adhesion.  Clean the surface with some Lacquer thinner. 

Antenna marks.jpg

Antenna Hole.jpg

Antenna preinstall.jpg

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

I ski behind my boat for the first time with Zero Off yesterday!   I've got some pic and will post up with details when I get a chance.  I didn't end up getting started until April and then work got really busy so it ended up dragging out longer than I expected.   Its running good and getting good times. 

• Like 3

I fabricated this mount out of Aluminum for the throttle sensor.   It goes under the throttle body and also holds the throttle cable and air filter (arrestor).   I tried finding a bolt-on arrestor but couldn't so I ended up using the original which required increasing the I.D. to match the throttle body. 

throttle_sensor_mount.jpg

throttle_body_mounted.jpg

Filter_mounted.jpg

One thing I found was that carpet when almost half the way under the fuel tank on each side.  The carpet was full of slim and smelt horrible.   I ripped up the carpet and rotten foam strips and put in new foam strips.  Its 1/4" thick closed cell foam that I bought at Hobby Lobby.  Used Weldwood adhesive to hold it down.   You can also see the spin-on fuel filter and secondary fuel pump that I mounted in the back.  The engine came with two pumps mounted side of the motor.   I thought it would be better to have the pump near the tank.  The primary pump I left in place. 

Fuel_tank_pads.jpg

• 9 months later...

Hey @gregy,

Would love to hear details on how the project finished up and more so, how the boat is performing with the ZO.

also, how does this motor compare on top speed/rpm compared to the outbound gen 2 monsoon?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Boats still doing fine.  Well worth the trouble.  It gets near perfect times on every pass and has a much more consistent pull then with perfect pass.  I'm using the original prop and transmission so the rpm/speed shouldn't be effected.  I think the 2012 and the old engine internally are the same, both 5.7 GMs with Vortec heads.  They had pretty much the same HP ratings.   

I think you could use the original engine but you need the e-controls computer, cat exhaust manifolds, newer Vortec distributor,  new wiring harness (or make a new one), new knock sensors, different injectors and fuel regulator, etc.  I think in the end you would end up spending as much as getting a newer used motor with all controls.  Just get as much as you can when looking for a motor.

If you had an insider at e-controls that could make the necessary modes to the computer program you could be much more flexible but I didn't find them helpful in that regard and there is the lawsuit/agreement between ZO and PP where PP got the early boats and ZO got like 2008 or newer.   

Edited by gregy