Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 23LSV Surf Setups??

CElliott00

Crew,

Ive searched the forums for ideas. Now, if you don't mind, I would like to ask your opinion on how I can set up my 2011 23 LSV for best surfing wake (without trading it in for a new Malibu with Surfgate) ? My boat is loaded down for wakeboarding but I would like to fine tune it for surfing. I am running stock ballast, high alt prop, wedge, etc. currently. My wake (wave) is short which requires more energy to keep from washing out than surfing... Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

You're going to need to add extra ballast in the lockers for a decent surf wave and you should find plenty of threads on this setup. Get 550 or 750 lb fat sacs for each side locker and then you can decide if you want to list the boat or weight both sides equally with a suction type surf device. Bow or walkway weight is optional but highly recommended if you're running more than 550's in the lockers.

Here's a pic of my wave last night, with the same hull as your 2011.

Port stock tank and 800lb fat sac, center tank and front tanks full and 500 lbs in the walkway. Floating wedge down and speed 10.8.

IMG_2719.PNG

Ok, if you really wanna know,1100 in the starboard locker, 750 on the star board back corner seat, or vice versa, all factory full, and a 750 in the bow 12.4 mph. Wedge 2 clicks from the bottom. Insane centurion like wake! Rock hard! And oh yeah! We would also put a fat sac brick on the platform.  If you look up old Lance Johnson posts, the dong sacs make the regular side just as good. Don't wanna get the listed vs surfgate bs going again. Bawshogg knows what I'm talking about.

Edited by surfdude

When running listed, I did full MLS, 750 in the surf side locker, tube sac (370lbs) running under the observer seat, 100LBs of lead in the bow, wedge all the way down, 10.8-11.2MPH.  We've moved to using a Mission Delta, but I miss that listed wave.

Strongly recommend the Nauticurl wake shaper.  We tested head-to-head with the Mission Delta, and the Nauticurl was vastly superior.  That was on an '11 VTX, but I'm sure it would translate.  If you angle the wake shaper down a bit (front suction cup lower than rear), it also helps quite a bit.  In all of our testing, the combo of rear/front weight that we've found is full factory (rears, midship, and bow) and then 2:1 rear to front.  So if you put 2 650s in the back, put a 650 up front.  Then play with wedge and speed settings to dial it in.  Of course, human ballast plays a role too, and is easy to move around the boat (with the exception of the driver :)).  Here's a pic of what we got with the Nauticurl, full factory ballast, 650s in the rear, and a 675 up front.  Wedge varied depending on where the human ballast was and what the surfer preferred w/r/t steep vs. long.  That was with only driver and spotter in the boat.  There's another 5 or 6 feet of good push behind where the surfer is at the end of the rope.

IMG_4122.jpg

3 hours ago, saxton15 said:

@ajgear How is the Nauticurl different than the Delta?  Positioning?

It's got more surface area on the effective face and a flatter face contour (the Delta is slightly convex).  That obviously gives it greater push, but it also allows the Nauti to be tilted forward more effectively.  The Nauti can also be positioned with the face further back.  The Delta can be reconfigured to run with the shaping plate at the back, but that further reduces the effective face.  Again, I have nothing against the Delta, but head-to-head and after a lot of playing with both, the Nauti was just better for us. A lot better. I wish I'd take pics of the Delta wake for comparison.

Thank everyone for comments and tips. I ended buying a Delta and a new board this weekend. I ran stock ballast full, Delta under the M in Malibu, and wedge all the way down. I was pretty impressed with the Delta system. I am still working on finding the sweet spot by moving the delta and wedge as suggested in earlier posts. Oh yeah, I have my wife and 2 year old in boat so that makes it a little challenging...Wife got up first try though! I am looking into the piggyback system from Wakemakers for my rear lockers. Also, I moved the wedge while set at 10.8 from all the way down to 2-3 clicks up and got a nice curl on the wave? This was just with me in the boat...pretty cool.

Question: Can I run my boat listed with the delta system too? I know that this is all a matter of physics....just figured I would ask.

Thanks again and keep'em coming.

Listing it actually makes the delta less effective since it lifts the delta above the the water line but some ppl do add a touch more weight to the surf side.

For the rear lockers I recommend 1100# bags(atleast 750#) and wakemakers premium reversible pumps or just throw pumps over the side.  The piggyback system is painfully slow to fill and drain, your 2 year old will lose its mind.

On 2017-08-23 at 4:02 PM, Q85 said:

For the rear lockers I recommend 1100# bags(atleast 750#) and wakemakers premium reversible pumps or just throw pumps over the side.  The piggyback system is painfully slow to fill and drain, your 2 year old will lose its mind.

Concur. I have the 750's and am going to try adding a couple of 300's on the rear seats this weekend just to see what the wave will be like with 1100's. If it looks killer then I'll order them up. I am still curious though how full we can get the 1100's as I hear mixed reports. Some say 850-900 is all you can get in them. 

Thanks again. So...Filling both sides (no list) and Mission is more effective? That makes sense. I may just throw pumps over the side...are they significantly faster? My thoughts are the following: when we are going out to surf, that is the primary focus. It does not matter to me how integrated the ballast is with my boat. A removable system that I can leave on the dock when not needed may be more appealing to me. With that said, I'm thinking two 750-900 max for the lockers, then one plug in pump/blige? I assume that they plug into the cigarette lighter....Any suggestions on brand, place to buy, etc. Might as well just keep it simple. Thanks again to the Crew!

Edited by CElliott00

Alright, just spoke to my buddy at the Wakeshop. He thinks FlyHigh 750's in rear lockers and 450 in the bow. Will the 750's fit in my rear lockers without having to modify?

You can absolutely still list the boat with the wake shaper on.  HOWEVER, you need to make sure you place the wake shaper at the right depth on your hull so that when the boat is at surf speed, the blade of the shaper is still in full water contact.  The object of the wake shaper is to create the same effect as listing (displacing more water on the surf side than you do on the non-surf side).   Combining the two works.  We do it with our human ballast all the time, even with surfgate.

On 8/22/2017 at 5:21 AM, saxton15 said:

I'll try to snap up some pics this weekend of our wave with the Delta on.  Maybe we can compare that way.

That wold be interesting to see.  One caveat though:  We'd be comparing the wake on two very different boats in the 23 LSV and the 20 VTX.  You should have a distinct advantage with the larger/heavier boat.  I am interested to see though.

• 2 weeks later...

Crew,

I bought 2 FH 750's for lockers and a FH 400 for the bow. Bought two pumps to speed things up...not in huge hurry though. Question: Do I have to by brackets from WakeMakers for my engine compartment with 750s back there? They are currently on backorder so I cant get them now anyways. Just want to make sure I dont mess anything up with the additional bags. 

Also, should I fill all ballast and then start with wedge all the way down, then click it up until I like the wake/wave? 

Delta under the M slightly angled? 

Just trying to get her dialed in....thanks for all of your help!!