Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Open Cancelled!!??

sunvalleylaw

Just read over on BOS that the Malibu Open got cancelled due to an algae bloom at the site, and the local officials shutting it down.  Any Malibu people have info?  What a bummer!  I hope it can get re-scheduled.  I don't watch tons of tournaments, but for some reason, I always try to catch this one.  As I said, I sure hope a solution is found.

Wow, I had no idea this was happening in Milwaukee. I can almost see that lagoon from my office here downtown. It seems like a really strange place to do it. I wouldn't go in that pond and don't know that I've ever seen anyone swimming in it. 

Hmm, it looks like they do it there every year. Never knew and I work 5 min away.

Edited by gobble
34 minutes ago, gobble said:

Wow, I had no idea this was happening in Milwaukee. I can almost see that lagoon from my office here downtown. It seems like a really strange place to do it. I wouldn't go in that pond and don't know that I've ever seen anyone swimming in it. 

Hmm, it looks like they do it there every year. Never knew and I work 5 min away.

I have enjoyed watching it online.  It does look like a brackish little urban pond though.  But, if the water is safe, it is nice that people can go there and watch right in town.  I think more of that would be good for the sport.

Edited by sunvalleylaw

It's a fantastic event, and once the boats are running back and forth, any algae is usually blown out of the course and washed up on shore.  I'm really bummed about this.  There's a course, or used to be, on a small pond about an hour away.  A buddy and I are hoping to try to salvage Saturday and see if we can find a pro or two to do a coaching clinic out there.

2 hours ago, JasonK said:

You would HAVE to compete!  Even at my novice level, to stand there and not get a chance behind a boat would drive me crazy.  Looks like a great event.