Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 335 Flywheel Noise

Maybe unhook the belt to see if the noise goes away, unless you are sure it is the flywheel. Could be the bearings in the alternator?

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Damper or drive plate noise is usually more noticeable at idle than above idle.  If any of the springs or pieces of the plate have broken loose, you may be able to see them in the bottom of the bell housing after the starter is removed.  Modern drive plates are built a lot stronger now than they were in 2003.  Excess weight or ballast can be hard on the older plates.  If you have a scope camera, you may be able to look at the spring and plate condition with the starter removed.  It would be hard for me to recommend replacing the plate as a preventive repair without finding something wrong with it.  Many transmission experts do recommend damper plate replacement when you have access to it during any repair that requires engine or trans removal.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Maybe unhook the belt to see if the noise goes away, unless you are sure it is the flywheel. Could be the bearings in the alternator?

I'll give that a try, but I really think it's coming from the back of the motor.  Seems to echo forward from underneath, but maybe not.

41 minutes ago, csleaver said:

Damper or drive plate noise is usually more noticeable at idle than above idle.  If any of the springs or pieces of the plate have broken loose, you may be able to see them in the bottom of the bell housing after the starter is removed.  Modern drive plates are built a lot stronger now than they were in 2003.  Excess weight or ballast can be hard on the older plates.  If you have a scope camera, you may be able to look at the spring and plate condition with the starter removed.  It would be hard for me to recommend replacing the plate as a preventive repair without finding something wrong with it.  Many transmission experts do recommend damper plate replacement when you have access to it during any repair that requires engine or trans removal.

That's a good idea.  I've got a cheap scope camera that may do the trick.

I should have added that the sound is present at idle, so I don't think it's related to the drive-line.  I need to see if it changes at all when in gear, but I do know that it is not noticeable with the engine cover closed. 

Thanks! 

oh sorry..I watched the video again. Looks like you are right at the starter? I mention the alternator because I've heard a similar noise from a bad one before. Cool snow ski videos too. :salute:

I couldn't get the scope camera to work, but I was able to stick my phone in there and take a few blind shots.  Other than some paint flaking off, I'm not noticing anything too concerning (sorry about the large photos).  There was no debris in the bottom of the bell housing and nothing interfering on the motor side of the flywheel.  Would it hurt to spray a bit of lubricant onto the damper plate?

5bJilR3.jpg 

ITqdcFF.jpg

9Jm7phA.jpg

NO8XtEx.jpg

Malibu seemed to have a problem with mis-aligned bellhousings around your model year that causes the plate to fail.  You should put a dial indicator on it while it's apart to check.

13 hours ago, MadMan said:

Malibu seemed to have a problem with mis-aligned bellhousings around your model year that causes the plate to fail.  You should put a dial indicator on it while it's apart to check.

This one lasted 840 hours, so I'm assuming (hoping) this isn't the case.  

I suppose I'll never know if the plate was on it's way out, but at least I won't have to worry about it.  Original looks fine (other than the paint all peeling off).  Some of the springs are rattling pretty good though.  Anyone know if this is normal?

BYb6hi5.jpg

ySrx8pt.jpg

Edited by powbmps
1 hour ago, powbmps said:

I suppose I'll never know if the plate was on it's way out, but at least I won't have to worry about it.  Original looks fine (other than the paint all peeling off).  Some of the springs are rattling pretty good though.  Anyone know if this is normal?

no, the springs should not rattle

• 2 weeks later...

So....just to wrap this up.  The original plate did not have any cracks or visible damage, but some of the springs were loose, and the metal plates holding them in had some play.  Install was relatively straightforward, but still a pain in the a$$.  The fact that I did it solo didn't help.  Plate was $100 shipped from SKIDIM and no other parts were required.  Sound is gone and boat is running great.

2tb75H2.jpg

gzgFZy2.jpg

rOB4Nhw.jpg

M8DwHAK.jpg

• Like 3
  • 6 months later...
On 8/29/2017 at 1:50 PM, powbmps said:

So....just to wrap this up.  The original plate did not have any cracks or visible damage, but some of the springs were loose, and the metal plates holding them in had some play.  Install was relatively straightforward, but still a pain in the a$$.  The fact that I did it solo didn't help.  Plate was $100 shipped from SKIDIM and no other parts were required.  Sound is gone and boat is running great.

Dude, that's impressive!  It definitely helped your hero status.

13 hours ago, JimmyT said:

Hi Powbmps,

Did you have to lift the engine to gain access to the plate

@JimmyTSort of.....It needs to be tilted up to remove the transmission.  I removed the rear engine mounts from the sides of the transmission, and tilted it up using a small engine hoist (loosen the front mount pivots first).  Then I put some blocking (with some Styrofoam for padding) under the rear of the motor and let it rest on it.      

Edited by powbmps