Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Server move tomorrow

WakeGirl

Hey all,

We'll be moving to a new server tomorrow morning in an effort to improve performance (better hardware). I'll take the site down at 10am PDT, & my hope is that we'll only be down a short time. You can hang out on our Facebook page while things are down if you begin to get the DTs. :)

• Like 2

Also, feedback on the performance would be appreciated. The hardware bump that we're getting from this move is significant, & my hope is that it solves the slowness that some have been seeing. Confirmation of that would be good, because I rarely saw the slowdowns that others reported.

I don't really see much difference in the speed getting to unread content.  Still takes about 4-5 seconds to come up.  Maybe just need to do some database indexing?

5 hours ago, gahvey said:

I don't really see much difference in the speed getting to unread content.  Still takes about 4-5 seconds to come up.  Maybe just need to do some database indexing?

Definitely possible. It may take a week or so for things to settle in & the caches to be set up appropriately. But....that's a bit unsettling. Is that on a mobile device? Wireless or through your data plan?

Desktop device on a fiber connection.  Speeds seem to be about the same as they were before.  Still considerable server side delays on the unread page (which doesn't seem to do ANY cacheing because I can load it and hit refresh and it stalls out for 6-7s every time.)

nlGVZSB.png

I'll add in my own metrics as well.  I am using AT&T Fiber 300 up/down.  Connecting wirelessly.  I live on the east coast.  This is a fresh reload with no cache content.  I did seem to pull a lot from cache on reload.  I had to tell Chrome to do a fresh reload.

uc?export=view&id=0BzFzZqYFD7KRbm92SG84S

I have no idea how the 4k resolution plays out.  If you need/want a better image let me know.

Is it slow for specific actions but faster for others? Unread Content is highly suspicious to me because that query is intensive. But anything else? I need specifics because there is nothing about this site that is slow for me right now. It is very snappy & responsive - on my phone, here at work & at home. So I can't debug this without good details - the more details you can give me the better the solution that I can come up with. :)

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/discover/9/ 1.96 Seconds

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/discover/unread/ 4.6 Seconds

For me, Unread is consistently the slowest query. WakeGirl, are you using Chrome? Have you used developer tools -> Network tab to see the total request time? It's probably just a slow database query.

For me, the rest of the site is very fast. Classifieds, Resources and individual thread links are quick as can be expected. I'm browsing from a network with very high bandwidth right now, so no bottlenecks here.

Edited by boardjnky4

I agree.  The site feels better to me.  I know that Unread is pretty intensive.  Please don't take the previous post as a complaint.  just throwing more data at you..

5 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/discover/9/ 1.96 Seconds

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/discover/unread/ 4.6 Seconds

For me, Unread is consistently the slowest query. WakeGirl, are you using Chrome? Have you used developer tools -> Network tab to see the total request time? It's probably just a slow database query.

For me, the rest of the site is very fast. Classifieds, Resources and individual thread links are quick as can be expected. I'm browsing from a network with very high bandwidth right now, so no bottlenecks here.

I can confirm that the timings are about the same for me.

Seems about the same for me.  Maybe slightly faster.  On the "Unread Content" section, I wonder if there's a way to force each click to open a new browser tab.  That's how I do it.  Click Unread, and for each topic that looks interesting, right click and open new tab.  That way you're not constantly pounding that query logic by going back to "Unread Content" after each read thread.

Edited by UWSkier
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Seems about the same for me.  Maybe slightly faster.  On the "Unread Content" section, I wonder if there's a way to force each click to open a new browser tab.  That's how I do it.  Click Unread, and for each topic that looks interesting, right click and open new tab.  That way you're not constantly pounding that query logic by going back to "Unread Content" after each read thread.

the "back" button works too ;)