Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hitch Drop Silverado 1500/24MXZ?

OnTheWater

Hey All,

I keep my boat in a wet slip and will be taking it out for the first time next week to tow it up to a lake for our vacation.  Any recommendations on hitch drop for a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 to tow a 2014 24MXZ?  I currently have a 2" drop, but the previous boat and trailer was quite a bit lighter.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

On my 2013 sierra I flipped over the 2 inch drop to make it 1 inch rise for my 2017 23LSV.

Is the trailer abnormally tall?  Even with my 2wd ram I require a drop.  Pretty odd to need a rise on a full sized pickup

Edited by oldjeep
10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Is the trailer abnormally tall?  Even with my 2wd ram I require a drop.  Pretty odd to need a rise on a full sized pickup

IDK. But it seems pretty level. 

IMG_1331.JPG

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 4wd with 35" tires pulling the 3 axle Malibu trailer and have to run 3" of rise to get all three axels and equalizer between leafs in neutral position. Sucks because end up having to put a 6" block under jack to get unhooked from truck. And that's even if I deflate the air ride system.  

I have a 2016 GMC 4x4 1500- with a leveling kit- 30" tires I think..... I took a 10,000 lb 4" drop hitch and flipped it for a 2 3/4" rise to level out my T23. My old drop hitch I used for the VLX would not have it level. That's a pet peeve of mine when I see guys pulling stuff nose down!! Level it!!! My 2 cents

4 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Depends on what tires you are running on the truck & trailer. I run a 2" raise on mine too.

clearly trailers are getting taller.  Every car trailer and boat trailer I have owned or rented have been a pretty standard hitch height.  Even the 6x12 tandem uhaul i picked up a couple hours ago for the first college move. 2" drop with a stock non leveled truck.

Edited by oldjeep

I have a truck-trailer similar to Spikes.   2500 Ram diesel on 35s  have a leveling kit.  pulling the 3 axle Centurion trailer.  I use a 5" drop on mine.  however I need to take some time..maybe this fall ..and look at it on level ground to see if the 5 in drop is okay.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, spikew919 said:

I have a Dodge Ram 2500 4wd with 35" tires pulling the 3 axle Malibu trailer and have to run 3" of rise to get all three axels and equalizer between leafs in neutral position. Sucks because end up having to put a 6" block under jack to get unhooked from truck. And that's even if I deflate the air ride system.  

My '00 trailer had the same problem.  I corrected it by installing a different jack that is taller.  I don't really understand how Malibu can install a jack on a trailer that can't be used, it's pretty basic.  And they've been doing it for years.

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, OnTheWater said:

While I'm thinking of it...will my current adapter work with the trailer?

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

What kind of trailer? It will most likely have a 7 pin wired directly to the trailer so no adapter needed. But if it doesn't it will have a flat 5 way so yes that's correct. 

I just installed an airlift kit on my '15 Sierra. I have a 2" drop and it would squat the truck and you couldn't put the jack down. The air bag installed in 2 hrs ($300). Now I can load the boat and take a bike pump and put 35-40# in them and it levels it right out. Towing was so much better also... much more stable. 

So keep your hitch and put the money towards airbags. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IX0CQDS/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On my f150 I was running a 2" drop.  On my 250 I'm running a 5.25" drop.  Both trucks are running 33's.  You should be able to check the owners manual for the trailer to find out what the ball height should be.  On mine center of the ball needs to be 18-21" unloaded.  On the 150 the tongue weight dropped the back of the truck a little, really just leveled the truck.  In the 250 the truck doesn't really settle at all with the boat 

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

you guys realize those Fulton jacks are adjustable - right?  You just take it off and set the low end height with a couple bolts on the back side. (mounting bracket slides)

Have never looked. Will it adjust 6"?