Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 LSV and Sumo 900's

thejean

I know that this has likely been discussed a bunch already so I searched in here and on google but couldn't find my answer so figured I would ask myself...

I have a 2013 LSV with Fly High 750's in the rear lockers. I would like to try to go to the Sumo 900's I've seen in the newer 2014 boats. Anyone know for sure if this is possible? It looks like they are the same length as my 750's but are 2" taller and 2" wider. The height looks good but I suspect the width could be an issue. Maybe reinforce the engine compartment walls?

Also I am curious how bad this will sink the boat. Normally it's just my wife, daughter and I on the boat so would like more weight. I suspect we will be ok as with a bunch of extra people on one day I didn't have any swamping issues when cutting throttle. 

I also though about lead but our marina is super shallow (only 2' of water right now) so adding extra permanent weight probably won't be a good thing. I would much prefer to have pumpable ballast over dead/lead weight. 

Lastly, I'm not a fan of having bags on the seats. Seems ghetto to me. But I guess it is an option...

Thx, JC

I ran my 14' lsv with the sumo 900's but the 14 has a different Hull so no apples to apples for you

if u plumb and put a switch for the bow ballast, a bag on the seat is easy. Once I did it I said I'd never be throwing pumps over again

7 minutes ago, Stevo said:

I ran my 14' lsv with the sumo 900's but the 14 has a different Hull so no apples to apples for you

if u plumb and put a switch for the bow ballast, a bag on the seat is easy. Once I did it I said I'd never be throwing pumps over again

I actually want more weight at the back to get the wave steep and tall. I already run my bow tanks empty for that reason. When I fill the bow it no doubt gets longer but I lose some height and playfulness. 

Just now, boardjnky4 said:

It's always a good idea to reinforce the dividers, but yeah they should work no problem.

What's the best way to do this? I was actually thinking of swapping the plastic ones for 1/8" steel plates, which would also add some weight to the back as well. 

9 minutes ago, thejean said:

What's the best way to do this? I was actually thinking of swapping the plastic ones for 1/8" steel plates, which would also add some weight to the back as well. 

I ran aluminum c channel down the back side of the divider. WakeMakers has a kit for it also.

I have 1100s in my rear locker (sumo 900s were not available when I purchased) and the c channels have helped.

8 minutes ago, thejean said:

I wouldn't go that far, wakemakers has a great kit that adds rigid vertical supports to the inner-side of the panel. If you look at it, you'll realize you can do the same job for a fraction with a trip to Lowes/Home Depot.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, thejean said:

I actually want more weight at the back to get the wave steep and tall. I already run my bow tanks empty for that reason. When I fill the bow it no doubt gets longer but I lose some height and playfulness. 

Adjust your wedge up 3-4 clicks and you will have all the ramp you need

and buy the wakemakers divider kit, it was like $25 when I got it, stopped the panels from popping out of the rails 

Edited by Stevo
2 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Adjust your wedge up 3-4 clicks and you will have all the ramp you need

I just call it out when I see it... doesnt ramp refer to flatter and smoother, and vert refer to taller and more abrupt? Pretty sure you meant vert. Think about it. he wants it taller.. bigger in the vertical direction

4 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

I just call it out when I see it... doesnt ramp refer to flatter and smoother, and vert refer to taller and more abrupt? Pretty sure you meant vert. Think about it. he wants it taller.. bigger in the vertical direction

i said ramp in the context rampy meaning vertical yes

4 minutes ago, Stevo said:

i said ramp in the context rampy meaning vertical yes

u said ramp in the context, rampy meaning vertical NO

sorry to be nit picky... but rampy does not equal vert. I am not trolling but rather putting a stop to the confusion and miss use of vert and ramp.

1 minute ago, AJwakedevil said:

u said ramp in the context, rampy meaning vertical NO

sorry to be nit picky... but rampy does not equal vert. I am not trolling but rather putting a stop to the confusion and miss use of vert and ramp.

i said ramp in the context of ramp ,  ramp is an inclined plane ,  sorry to nit pic but... go ahead and google " ramp" and let everyone know what comes up. Click on search images if thats easier

• Like 1
On 8/11/2017 at 2:36 PM, Stevo said:

i said ramp in the context of ramp ,  ramp is an inclined plane ,  sorry to nit pic but... go ahead and google " ramp" and let everyone know what comes up. Click on search images if thats easier

lol I mean what your doing is cute and all but Im not trying to tell you what you meant to say was wrong. You can mean what ever you want. I am telling you factually you are wrong. Look at the Malibu Command Center screen. Where the wedge selector is you will see two ends of the spectrum. One end is vertical, the other ramp. They are not equal.

I have a sumo 900 in my 13 and a 1100, but I dont think the 1100 fills all the way up. 900 is perfect IMO. Also if you're running 900s in the rear you'll want more bow weight. I run the big bags in the rear, all MLS, wedge down and 300 more lbs on the seats in the bow. 10.6-11mph. If I move the wedge up at all the boat cant get up to speed with the 5.7l and I have the 2315 prop. Personally I think more bow weight would be even better. Check the 2014 surf thread, it has tons of information. 

Edited by yotaisgame

I have an 1100 in the rear of my 13 on the starboard side, and on the port, a 750 that runs into a 350 under the seat. I want to eventually replace that with an 1100 to regain the storage under the seat when surfing. The 1100 on the other side fits fine tho.

I was concerned with the divider, but haven't had any issues with it. I just looked at the reinforcements on wakemakers, and I have come L angle laying around I could do the same with, which I think I will just for piece of mind.

So I found some Fly High 1100's here in Canada but they don't look to be the plug and play Kit unfortunately. Meaning, I think they have one less port on them for the PnP setup. Sucks because they are a decent price and free shipping.

Then I see that Wakemakers has a 1000 kit designed to specifically match the shape of the rear lockers. Are they good bags quality wise? Why does everyone seem to use Fly High or Sumo instead?

As for the divider, likely I will reinforce it myself using stuff from Home Depot. 

I just called one of the local dealers and he says not many use the 1100 kit because it's just plain too much. Boat could struggle to push it. I find that unlikely given the boat has the 409 motor.

Currently I ride my boat with 750's in the lockers full and only the bow tank empty and the wedge almost all the way down. Sure I get some bow rise but it also gives the sweetest wake with the most push. So naturally I was thinking that more weight in the back would be even better. I can always level it out a bit by filling the stock bow tank should the bow rise be too much.

Normally it's just me, my 8 year old and my wife in the boat which is why I am looking into this. When there are more people the wake is pretty epic. Also, I rode in a 2017 X23 and the wake in it was just stupid big even with only 4 people in the boat, which got me looking into options.

Went out on my boat again tonight. One extra person and half tank of fuel. Wake was pretty good but I think I can make it better. I am confident I can fit the 1100's in there if I reinforce the engine walls. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

So I had a buddy that wanted to trade me his 1100's for my 750's. His only has three ports and mine have four plus my fitting seem to be glued in so looks like that won't work for us. Why they would cement these quick connect fittings in is beyond me. 

I also went out and tried a friend's two 300's on the rear seats (with all MLS full plus 750's) and the boat pushed it fine with only stock front full. However, today I tried my 650 bow sack sitting on the sun deck with same settings as when I used twin 300's on the seats and the boat couldn't hold 10.4 mph. That's about 325 extra per corner and leads me to believe that at my elevation (3000'), the 1100's are too much for the 409 motor. Unless I use the bow sack actually in the bow but honestly my wife is dead set against having that bow sack on the seats.

So, now I am back to considering 900's again as it seems to be the best way to get a bit more in the back without having to use a bow sack on the front seats. 

it's not that the bags are too much it's just that the boat can only pop so much of a wheelie and still move forward.  Add bow ballast to balance the 1100s (or sumo 900s... they are basically exactly the same capacity as the fly high 1100s) and you'll be fine. 

8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

it's not that the bags are too much it's just that the boat can only pop so much of a wheelie and still move forward.  Add bow ballast to balance the 1100s (or sumo 900s... they are basically exactly the same capacity as the fly high 1100s) and you'll be fine. 

Yeah that's what I was figuring. Problem is my wife is adamant about not putting bags on the seats so my search for a solution continues.

However, the Sumo 900 is 50x22x22, which I calculate to be 872 lbs and the Fly High 750 is 50x20x20 (721 lbs). The 1100's are 50x24x24 (1038 lbs). With bag expansion I would say they are fairly close to their advertised capacities. 

The Sumo 900 would be like having two extra small people in the boat in the back which would help the wake a little but not require me to use a ballast bag in the bow. 

I was going to use lead in the back as well but I also have a shallow marina (was only reading 1.6' the other day on the depth finder (but it's all super soft silt/mud so lucky there). However, if I went with bigger rear bags and lead in the bow, that would actually help in shallow water I suppose when the rear bags are empty. But then I'm looking at lead and bigger bags... $$$. Ugh, first world problems!

28 minutes ago, thejean said:

Yeah that's what I was figuring. Problem is my wife is adamant about not putting bags on the seats so my search for a solution continues.

However, the Sumo 900 is 50x22x22, which I calculate to be 872 lbs and the Fly High 750 is 50x20x20 (721 lbs). The 1100's are 50x24x24 (1038 lbs). With bag expansion I would say they are fairly close to their advertised capacities. 

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800855

The sumos fill to more than rated, the fly highs less.  They didn't do a fly high 1100, but did do a sumo 900, which filled to 1000.  Realistically you are going to see no meaningful difference between a fly high 1100 and a sumo 900.  You'd be way better off with a few bags of lead under the bags if you want to make a real difference.