Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 xti ride engine problems

I have owned my 06 xti ride for a year now it has 153 hours on it.... I've been having trouble with it. After about 3 -5 hours of use. It's starts sputtering and idling up and down and dies.  Try to restart it and revs up and down a bit and dies. Try in again and just turns over and that's it.  Get towed in put on the trailer put it in the water next day  works fine until the same thing happens again. Always run high test fuel , changed fuel pump and inline filter , check the suction tube inside the tank, had it in to the dealer for a week they checked every thing they could and couldn't find any problems.  ( run with blower on and tried to opening the Sun deck/ engine hood a couple inches while running it ) 

any advice or tips would help. Thanks 

MalibuNation

Sounds like it could be vapor lock.  As a test get a wet rag and cool the fuel pump and fuel rails when it acts up.  I think your fuel pump isn't in the tank.

Let us know if that fixes.

Also do a search on vapor lock.

Still having trouble  not sure if it's vapor lock ... Boat has been on the trailer for 5 days filled it up with NON ethanol blend 91 octane fuel took it to the lake had to turn it over for like 10-15 seconds before it would fire up.  lots of gas coming out the exhaust ran it for like 45 mins shut it down . Took the cover off the top off the engine put wet rags on the fuel rails for like 20 mins trying to see if that would help. Didn't make a different.   

im getting frustrated and don't really know what to do.  Any tips or advice would be Greatly appreciated !!! 

The cold rags need to be placed on the bottom or inlet area of the pump if vapor lock is the issue. Those pumps dont pull (self prime) very well sometimes. Even a new pump could act bad in that respect. 

Too much fuel pressure can also make it difficult to start.  Double check your fuel pressure.  I have seen older fuel supply lines swell internally and eventually cause a fuel restriction that would go away the next day, then happen again.  If you narrow your issue down to vapor lock, you can add an inline high volume low pressure fuel pump to the stringer between the tank and the inline filter.  Indmar makes a kit to do this, and it helps to greatly reduce problems with vapor lock.

On my boat there is a something mounted  on top of the fuel tank  it's looks like 6-8 inches long with a couple maybe 3 hoses running into just curious what that is.  It's on the opposite side as the blower motor 

Edited by Kris2017

@Kris2017:  Anti siphon valve is comprised of a ball and spring inside the vent line fitting mounted on top of the fuel tank.  These can get corroded and stick closed thus not allowing the tank to vent properly, creating a vacuum in the fuel line thus restricting fuel flow.  Remove and shake to hear whether the ball is free (will make a rattling sound).

If your tank is not venting, eventually it will create a vacuum in the tank and the pump will not be able to draw fuel.  If you remove the fuel filler cap when this happens, you should be able to prime the fuel pump (turn the key on and off several times in 5 second intervals) and restart the motor.  A clogged vent hose could cause this.  If the vent hose is lower than the tank, or if it has a low point along its run, and you fill the tank full with gas, some fuel can get caught in a low spot in the vent line and cause vacuum to build up in the tank.  Once the fuel drains out or evaporates from the fuel line, it would vent properly again.  I don't know if this is what is happening on your boat, but see if the vent line has a dip or low point in it, or blow air though it to see if it is clogged.

I checked the vent line it seemed to be ok .  Put me boat in the water this weekend started ok first time. But was running really rich !! Like could see gas on top of the water where it was coming out of exhaust.  Did shut the boat off A couple times for 5 mins so it had no problem starting back up.  Put it on the trailer pulled it home 45mins cranked it once and totally locked up (wouldn't turn over at all )  I'm thinking vapor lock . Gonna invest in a low pressure  fuel pump kit 

@Kris2017:  If you tried to crank and engine is locked, that could be hydro lock, water in combustion chamber not allowing the piston to reach top dead center.  You need to troubleshoot that issue.  A clue is the excess rich mixture meaning lots of fuel is getting in to the combustion chamber and your hydro lock could be fuel related.  A significantly leaking injector(s), lack of spark are possible culprits.  I don't think a low pressure pump kit will solve the issue you are describing in the last post.

As @Bozboat notes, don't keep trying to turn engine over with the starter until you determine what is wrong, you could do a lot of expensive damage trying to start a hydro locked engine (bending a connecting rod or cracking a piston).

So where are you located, Kris? Is it hot there?

I've only seen this on my 05 when it was like +95 degrees out (very dry, no/low humidity). I used the cold rag on the fuel pump trick a couple times & the boat would start right up. Now days I get by it by just running the blower a lot (or all the time).

Not at my boat rite now.  But once it locked I left it had to go home.  I will go back out to where it is parked and disconnect battery and pull plugs. Turn it over by hand see what comes out.   When I had it to the dealership they told me that they checked all electrical sensors and and plugs they couldn't find any thing wrong they sent me on my way and told me there was nothing wrong and to run the blower longer after u shut it off and it was probably vapor lock.   ( I think they just wanted to get rid of me cause they had it in the shop for 2 days and only charged me 2 hours. That's the only place that works on tow boats where I live )  what ever is wrong with it now. All I know is its burning and wasting wayy to much fuel and running ruff last time I had it out I was pulling a guy up on a wakeboard and at bout 10 mph it bogged down a bit then went back to normal  .  I ve been trying to ready as much as I can on here from the past for possible help.    I think I'm getting my self confused and frustrated more than anything because we have a short summer up here and wanna take advantage of it 

I live in Canada so it's it doesn't get really hot here.  My boat says air temp is usually 80-90 degrees and water temp is about 72-80 depending on which lake 

Edited by Kris2017