hzemall

2017 Wakesetter stereo noise issues

hzemall

We did a large system in a VLX22 and we removed all the WS amps and made a custom plug for the black box for the JL Amps.

Got use noise issues on Bluetooth and USB

Got the same issues on another 2017 that we haven't done anything to.

Any inside as to the source of the noise?

Re grounded everything, new powers to the second battery, re routed RCA cables, even just on the floor testing and nothing gets rid of it.

Issues with the Medallion box or something?

BLSousa

I will start by saying that we love  our 2017 22VLX and are incredibly blown away by its performance and quality but it does have noise through the interior speakers.

It is a 2017 22VLX with factory system: (12" sub, 8 in speakers and 1-set tower speakers.  Our static/hiss is primarily through the in-boat speakers. It generally comes on after about a half hour of use. Engine on or off, doesn't matter. Turning the system off and on again will stop the noise temporarily but it comes back in 2-5 minutes. Disconnecting and reconnecting the BT or USB connection temporarily stops it but it comes back again in a couple of minutes.

I don't have a solution. Dealer didn't have a solution at the 20 hour service either.

I hope you are able to find a solution to your noise issue.  

Update: @teamerickson pointed us to a service advisory, SA # MY17.Adv12.Jun20. Our dealer got it and sent it over to me. It is a flow chart of diagnosing this problem that it says some of the 2017's have.  If you have a noise issue I would recommend getting the service advisory. If you message me I will send it to you. Our issue appears to be with the interior amp. 

Edited by BLSousa

teamerickson
18 minutes ago, BLSousa said:

I will start by saying that we love  our 2017 22VLX and are so incredibly blown away by its performance and quality that the $5k+ stereo being unusable is almost a non issue to us.

That said, I have the same issue. 2017 22VLX with factory system: (12" sub, 8 in speakers and 1-set tower speakers.  Our static/hiss is primarily through the in-boat speakers. It generally comes on after about a half hour of use. Engine on or off, doesn't matter. Turning the system off and on again will stop the noise temporarily but it comes back in a 2-5 minutes. Disconnecting and reconnecting the BT or USB connection temporarily stops it but it comes back again in a couple of minutes. The hiss/static gets pretty loud and can overtake the sound of the music.

I don't have a solution. Dealer didn't have a solution at the 20 hour service either. I would love it if you could share your solution if/when you figure it out. Our plan right now is to bypass the medallion viper and install a new control unit (ws 420 or exile ZLD) this winter. 

They have a service advisory you should mention to your dealer. SA # MY17.Adv12.Jun20

CharlieBeaU

I'm getting the same buzz/noise in my 2017. It's going in for the 20 HR Service tomorrow. I will mention this service advisory. Can anyone confirm whether or not Malibu was able to fix the problem? The Exile team trouble shot the noise back to the Medallion. Does it need to be replaced?

BLSousa
On 8/7/2017 at 8:51 PM, BLSousa said:

I will start by saying that we love  our 2017 22VLX and are incredibly blown away by its performance and quality but it does have noise through the interior speakers.

It is a 2017 22VLX with factory system: (12" sub, 8 in speakers and 1-set tower speakers.  Our static/hiss is primarily through the in-boat speakers. It generally comes on after about a half hour of use. Engine on or off, doesn't matter. Turning the system off and on again will stop the noise temporarily but it comes back in 2-5 minutes. Disconnecting and reconnecting the BT or USB connection temporarily stops it but it comes back again in a couple of minutes.

I don't have a solution. Dealer didn't have a solution at the 20 hour service either.

Update: @teamerickson pointed us to a service advisory, SA # MY17.Adv12.Jun20. Our dealer got it and sent it over to me. It is a flow chart of diagnosing this problem that it says some of the 2017's have.  If you have a noise issue I would recommend getting the service advisory. If you message me I will send it to you. Our issue appears to be with the interior amp. 

Here is an update on this.

Short version: Wetsounds provided a replacement amp and we have put 20 hours on the boat since I installed the new amp last winter.  I am happy to report that the hiss/static issue from our interior speakers has not returned.

Longer version: Following the service advisory flowchart, it pointed to an issue with the amp for the interior speakers but the date of manufacture for my amp was one month from the published months of suspect amplifiers.  I called Wetsounds and described the symptoms.  They asked that we return the amp for repair/replacement.  They sent us a new amp within a week or two.   We have put 20 hours on the boat since I installed the new amp last winter.  I am happy to report that the hiss/static issue from our interior speakers has not returned.  I am very happy with the system's performance over the last few months and was very impressed with Wetsounds customer service throughout.  

Our problem was more prevalent on hot days than cool ones and we haven't had any 100°+ days yet so I can't say that the repair has been fully tested but so far, so good :)

I really like the sound of the factory optioned Wetsounds system now and am willing to recommend it to someone that would like to avoid going the custom install route.  To qualify that statement, I am not an audiophile and I have been satisfied with the stock stereo in all of my cars for the last 20 years.