Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

On the hunt for used Mailbu

afcase

Hey all. 

I am new to the forum and wanted some feedback and recommendations.

I grew up on lakes in MN and skied all my life.  While I  never was on a course or competition, I enjoy aggressive slalom skiing and some wake boarding.  I now live in middle GA and have been away from the lake for about 10 years.  I just turned 50 this year.

This summer I took my family back to MN and my buddy who has a 90's Malibu Echelon boat go both my 9 and 13 yo girls out and skiing for the first time.  They had a blast and cant stop talking about it.  It lit the fire back in me to get my family out on the lake and get my girls skiing and wakeboarding.

So long story short.  I am now on the hunt for a gently used Malibu boat, unsure of specific model or year. 

I am looking to spend between $20-30K and would love some recommendations as to a good boat that would fit my families needs.  We have several lakes near by none are massive but pretty good size bodies of water.

I have been reading this forum as a non member and going back and forth with my buddy with the Echelon for some ideas.

I would like a decent ski wake with the ability to wake board as well.  I don't foresee my girls or wife wanting to  get big air.  None of us have every tried surfing, so I don't really feel that is a must have.

Would like your thoughts on a few models and years to look for and ones to avoid. 

Also direct drive vs V drive. I don't really understand the benefit of either. 

The Echelon and a standard I/O is what I skied behind for years, have never skied behind a V drive.

Some models I have looked at 99-04 Sunsetter LXi,  Repsonse LXi ,

My buddy recommended a VTX but it seems that is a good bit out of my price range.

Look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Welcome! If you are an aggressive skier, I would limit my search to a DD vs V drive.  A slalom tug with a wedge makes a fine wake for the recreational wake boarder. My buddy's 98 sportster has an awesome slalom & barefoot wake, and when he drops the wedge wakeboarders like the boat as well. If you love slalom, find a course and become a buoy addict! You are a youngster at 50 and will love the challenge of a course. 

So, the seating arrangement on a v-drive is a huge plus, at least IMHO.  Pylon sitting just behind the rear seat means nobody ever has to move, and its just so darned comfortable.  Heck, I've had a number of occasions, over the years, when several friends/couples showed up, but weather conditions (wind/rain) were not conducive to a safe or enjoyable outing, and we just sat in the boat, still on the lift, and had some cool beverages and a great time. 

Storage on a v-drive is also incredible, extending underneath every cushion in the wrap-around seating plus, of course, under the port-side dash and on either side of the engine. 

But, flipping that engine around and moving it to the stern is detrimental to the slalom wake (as is, of course, having more than the bare essential number of peeps in the boat [only driver is required in my state] and anything more than half a tank of gas).  If you are really serious about slalom, you should probably stick to a DD.  

Having said that, I purchased my boat (21 LSV Sunscape) when I was 48.  I chose the v-drive because of the comfort factor and because I assumed my kids, and all of their friends, would want to wakeboard. 

I have been slaloming behind it ever since (15 off @ 32-33 mph), strictly recreationally, and have been quite happy with it.  A 2002-2004 21 LSV, although difficult to find, would be the best v-drives for slalom in your price range, or an early 20 LSV (VTX without the ballast or tower), first available in 2007, might also be found at the top of your budget.  2005-2008 21 LSV or VLX on a diamond hull might also work, just not as well.  It depends on how much you are willing to compromise on the slalom wake.

It's about as simple as this.

V-drive= better family boat, better wakeboard and surf wave. Better resale, cost more. 

DD= better slalom wake, better handling, easier maintainence, cheaper 

There are some great skiing v drives and there are some ok skiing v drives.  Really the only reason most people get a DD anymore is course skiing or budget. 

It sounds like you need a boat that skis pretty well that the whole family can enjoy. There are tons of options in that catagory so if I were you I'd be shopping based more on price and condition more than model. Figuring out what size you'd like will help too.  My 23lsv is super comfy even if we only have a 4 person crew but I have to tow and store it so you may prefer something smaller. 

Edited by Gavin17
  • Like 1

I should mention that I also have to tow and store the boat.

Have a nice barn to store it in about 26ft front to back, maybe 26 1/2. 

Also what about tandem vs single axle trailer. 

Finally, how many hours on boat where I should start getting worried about overhaul or significant maintenance .

Sounds like so far

V drive would be better for family and still a decent ski wake.

20 or 21 LSV maybe in my budget. 

I worried that anything over 21 might be to hard to handle getting on and off the trailer with the kids.

I will continue to read recs here and continue my search.

So far I have been looking at craigslist, boats.com any other places that are good.

Finally, if a boat is more than a 3-4 hours away, how does one go about checking it out and getting it back home?

3 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

Welcome! If you are an aggressive skier, I would limit my search to a DD vs V drive.  A slalom tug with a wedge makes a fine wake for the recreational wake boarder. My buddy's 98 sportster has an awesome slalom & barefoot wake, and when he drops the wedge wakeboarders like the boat as well. If you love slalom, find a course and become a buoy addict! You are a youngster at 50 and will love the challenge of a course. 

so are you saying stick to a DD rather than a V drive?  Again, I am new to all the lingo but starting to figure it out. 

Tandem trailer is awesome if you plan on towing long distances.  If you only do short trips a single is fine, cheaper and more maneuverable. 

I don't really think the bigger boats are any harder to launch or retrieve than a smaller boat. Now towing down the highway is another story what are you using for a tow vehicle?  If you're not familiar with inboards you'll need some practice but it's a pretty easy learning curve. 2 years ago we had an IO and now I can't imagine going back.   

• Like 2

I looked for over a year for the same boat. Keep your eyes open, it will pop up.

Steve B.

quick edit: I found mine on onlyinboards.com

Edited by Steve B.
adding some info
20 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

These both look like good values to me in V drives. There is a clone to that lsv at our lake. I haven't skied behind it, but they do, and to me the wake looks very small.

Steve B.

Best crossover boat that Malibu has ever made that leans to skiing but opens up wake boarding in my mind the 99 - 2004 Sunsetter  LXI.  a little more room then the Response line witch is a very good choice for skiing.  The SS LXI with a wedge will keep the less then aggressive boarder happy.  And then one could get into ballist but that takes space.  For me if you are into anything other then ridding a ski you need to stay with a DD boat.  But I am a hard core skier. I sold a reasonable V drive to get a good ski tug.  

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

It's about as simple as this.

V-drive= better family boat, better wakeboard and surf wave. Better resale, cost more. 

DD= better slalom wake, better handling, easier maintainence, cheaper 

There are some great skiing v drives and there are some ok skiing v drives.  Really the only reason most people get a DD anymore is course skiing or budget. 

It sounds like you need a boat that skis pretty well that the whole family can enjoy. There are tons of options in that catagory so if I were you I'd be shopping based more on price and condition more than model. Figuring out what size you'd like will help too.  My 23lsv is super comfy even if we only have a 4 person crew but I have to tow and store it so you may prefer something smaller. 

I think that is a decent summary, except for the part I bolded.  I chose a DD Response LX because it did everything well enough for our preferences, and slalom, mostly freeskiing behind this boat, is a priority, and price.  

@afcase , I am 4 years older than you and upgraded from our old family outboard to our Response LX last year.  I love the SV23 diamond hull.  Yes, the seating is less convenient than a V-drive.  But for family use, tubing, or beginning skiing, say like on doubles, we can hitch the line to the rear towing bar on the transom, which then opens up the seating just fine.  i have not done it but I suppose one could pull a beginning wakeboarder from back there too.  Not as ideal as the pylon, but for a kid learning, probably would be ok.  (yes, I know not high enough like on the pylon, but a lot of us learned behind i/o's and outboards with the slalom line hooked on the the stern eyelets either directly or via a harness.).  So a Response can do family too.  I am not a tower fan myself, but a a tower can add a tow position for wakeboarding and I suppose beginning skiing, and can add some board/ski storage.  I still don't want one but it is an option.  And the slalom wake is superb.  I am also told it is a great barefooting boat, if you do that.  I do wish I would have gotten one with a wedge, but I can add one.  If you can find one with a wedge, that will help with the wakeboarding.  You can do basic family surfing too, with a wedge or "suck gate" or other device.  Lots of threads about that around here.  

Point being, the response is a decent option, and can be found.  And can be found in good shape for a reasonable cost.  Here is my first thread detailing some of my quest and purchase.  

So I would suggest not ruling out a Response.  :D  Good luck with your shopping!

Edited by sunvalleylaw

Im biased to a v drive. Im purely a rec skier and wakeboarder as is the rest of the family. Id love to have a DD but with my two kids, wife, and other friends and kids we take out, the seating on a DD just would not do for us. I chose a 21 foot 2001 sunsetter vlx with diamond hull (smoother ski wake at 25 plus), tower and wedge about 3 years ago to replace a small I/O. Plenty of storage options. I store 2 wakeboards, 2 slaloms, adult and kids combo skis, 2 kneeboards, several ropes, lifejackets and a big daddy set of skis all in the storage lockers of the boat. I start pulling stuff out and people are in awe. The 2001 was what i could afford and had the three piece rear deck making it easy to  pull skis and wakeboards out while standing on the swim platform. Make sure to get a bimini as well. Makes for nice shade. Read a good bit on here. These guys helpd me make my decision. I read you are in central Ga. Im in west central Ga on the Chatahoochee river. Have fun and happy hunting. I should add that enjoying slalom as I do, i woukd avoid the 2005 and up to 2007 or 08 sunsetter/wakesetter and non diamond hull of the 01 to 04 sunsetter V drives. On the 01 to 04 V drives there is the diamond and non diamond hull. Non diamond has a less pronounced turn down of the chine? at the transom. Also the 05 went to a different hull. The ski wake went bad on those up until maybe 07 or 08 (someone help me out here) due to the new hull design. Later designs ( might be the vtx) had a better crossover hull thus better ski wake. 

Edited by williemon
  • Like 2

I love my DD but that's just because we almost exclusively use it for slalom skiing. (And sunset Margarita cruises...)

if I were you, With kids relatively new to water sports and wanting it to be good for the whole family, I'd definitely get a v-drive. that way you can do ski, wake, and surf. If you find that everyone loves the slalom almost exclusively, you can always sell and get a DD. A v-drive is more marketable and more money, so if you sell you could use the extra $$ for some nice skis or a newer boat.

• Like 3
On 8/5/2017 at 8:30 PM, Gavin17 said:

That second one would be a great crossover boat in your price range. The 2001 SS VLX was built on the SV23 Diamond hull and puts out a great slalom wake above 30mph and a really good wakeboard wake. I had one and it was as good or better at those than my current VTX. For that particular one you should figure on extra $$ for perfect pass, a tower, and plumbed in ballast.

• Like 2

I do a lot of skiing behind the boat in my profile... It's one of the best slalom V-drives ever created and is really impressive wake-wise at 34 and 36 MPH.

BUT

You mentioned young girls.  If you think slalom is going to be their primary thing with a little wakeboarding mixed in, do NOT get a V-drive.  Below 30 MPH, which is where most young girls ski, even the best V-drives make absolutely massive wakes.  When my younger sister was learning the course, she could run it no problem at 28 MPH behind a direct drive, but our V wake was just too much to deal with, even with proper edging, at those low speeds.

I'd look for an Sunsetter LXi up to '04 (prefer '01 and up due to newer dash layout) with PerfectPass in good shape, or a Response LXi or FXi (the latter is quite rare) in your price range...

The DD will throw a WAY smaller wake at speeds below 30 MPH, and dad gets the benefit of a better slalom boat for his aggressive style (and a more-fun boat to drive).

• Like 2

@afcase:  I recommend that the girls ski behind every boat you consider as they will be the most sensitive to wake characteristics and you certainly don't want to dampen the high level of excitement they currently have for dad to go buy a ski tug.  DD boats are clearly designed to minimize wakes for slalom skiing enjoyment, V drives are more versatile and give up slalom wake performance.  A Gen 1 Response LXi ('03-'06) would probably offer the best slalom wake for your budget and has an improved wake over the Echelon the girls enjoy.  It is also a few inches wider so a bit more room although it does have a tendency to dip the bow (more-so than the Echy) until you understand how to manage that aspect.

You definitely have to pick your priorities. If it's slalom, own it and get a DD. Have you tested any boats yet? We're gonna need some photos stat.  I slalom but have access to tournament boats for the course. I recreationally ski my boat but you have to go fast so it's not great for beginners.  A big difference is I can ski one or two sets in the morning or evening before getting tired and sloppy but we can cruise and surf all day.

UWskier does have a point. Even though my SS VLX has the diamond hull, the wake does start to lay down at 23 mph but is still there. No worse than an I/O in my opinion though. 28 and faster is better. My kids do slalom some at 25 And 28 but i have wondered if they would enjoy more with less wake, but the space for them and their friends makes them enjoy the v drive more since they have never tried a DD before. 

On 8/5/2017 at 2:57 PM, afcase said:

Hey all. 

I am new to the forum and wanted some feedback and recommendations.

I grew up on lakes in MN and skied all my life.  While I  never was on a course or competition, I enjoy aggressive slalom skiing and some wake boarding.  I now live in middle GA and have been away from the lake for about 10 years.  I just turned 50 this year.

This summer I took my family back to MN and my buddy who has a 90's Malibu Echelon boat go both my 9 and 13 yo girls out and skiing for the first time.  They had a blast and cant stop talking about it.  It lit the fire back in me to get my family out on the lake and get my girls skiing and wakeboarding.

So long story short.  I am now on the hunt for a gently used Malibu boat, unsure of specific model or year. 

I am looking to spend between $20-30K and would love some recommendations as to a good boat that would fit my families needs.  We have several lakes near by none are massive but pretty good size bodies of water.

I have been reading this forum as a non member and going back and forth with my buddy with the Echelon for some ideas.

I would like a decent ski wake with the ability to wake board as well.  I don't foresee my girls or wife wanting to  get big air.  None of us have every tried surfing, so I don't really feel that is a must have.

Would like your thoughts on a few models and years to look for and ones to avoid. 

Also direct drive vs V drive. I don't really understand the benefit of either. 

The Echelon and a standard I/O is what I skied behind for years, have never skied behind a V drive.

Some models I have looked at 99-04 Sunsetter LXi,  Repsonse LXi ,

My buddy recommended a VTX but it seems that is a good bit out of my price range.

Look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Did you see the 2001 Sunsetter posted on the classifieds here today?

Steve B.

That's a hard decision.  I would normally say look at the V drives posted above but I have a lot of experience in a friends 97 sunsetter lx.  It was one of our first wakeboarding boats and we spent numerous hours in that thing.  Had a decent wakeboard wake with wedge and bag in the ski locker.  I would look at the sunsetter lxi years listed above and compare to the v drives.  There is a TON of research you can do just on this website.  The best thing you can do is try to get out on as many boats as possible.  Good luck and the more info and questions you answer the easier it is for us to spend your money :rofl: 

everyone has posted good points for sure, and I would pick the Sunsetter LXI with a wedge and some ballast. I ski behind an 03 frequently and am happy with the wake at 34mph and 28 off. in my mind this boat is the "Unicorn" of all Malibu has ever offered, you can ski, wakeboard and surf comfortably. 

33 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

everyone has posted good points for sure, and I would pick the Sunsetter LXI with a wedge and some ballast. I ski behind an 03 frequently and am happy with the wake at 34mph and 28 off. in my mind this boat is the "Unicorn" of all Malibu has ever offered, you can ski, wakeboard and surf comfortably. 

Agree 100% on ski-ability of this boat - our group skis the course every Wed and alternate between the 98 Sportster and an 03 Sunsetter LXI. Never heard a complaint on wake differences and we all ski equally well behind both boats.