Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

On the hunt for used Mailbu

afcase

1 hour ago, mackie12 said:

everyone has posted good points for sure, and I would pick the Sunsetter LXI with a wedge and some ballast. I ski behind an 03 frequently and am happy with the wake at 34mph and 28 off. in my mind this boat is the "Unicorn" of all Malibu has ever offered, you can ski, wakeboard and surf comfortably. 

With you except for the surfing part.  The overhang setup doesn't work well for surfing.  @braindamage can give you more info, but I know he's tried about every combination out there to get his SSLXi to surf well and the platform always ends up acting like a road grader and knocking down the wave.

On 8/9/2017 at 11:54 AM, UWSkier said:

With you except for the surfing part.  The overhang setup doesn't work well for surfing.  @braindamage can give you more info, but I know he's tried about every combination out there to get his SSLXi to surf well and the platform always ends up acting like a road grader and knocking down the wave.

Yep, the stepped transom is the issue. I'm not sure if there is an LXI in the '99-04 range with a flat transom. If so, then I think the "unicorn" label would apply. 

I tested a 01 sunsetter VLX on a SV23 diamond hull. Great slalom wake. No stepped hull. Crappy digital gauge tho. Would b a great ski and surf boat. Too bad it wasn't in good condition.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but a related on-topic question.  I have a 2000 Response LX, but at some point soon would love to upgrade just a smidgen to a walk-through bow and maybe the next hull rendition that might be a tad better than my present one.  What i don't know is the difference between the Sunsetter and Response, and the model year I should look for.  I think 2007 is the first year for the Response walk-thru, but don't know about the Sunsetter. It seems like I've read here somewhere a few less than glowing comments about that 2007 model with regard to hull, wake, and balance.  I see member Sixball has that one, so I'd love to have his input as he is also a dedicated though much better slalom guy than I. 

We have owned a 2002 Wakesetter LXi with Diamond Bottom (in 2002 same boat as the Sunsetter but with a Bag) since 2003. It is a DD. Has the wedge and one 500LB Bag. Has been a good all around boat for Kids to Ski and Wakeboard.

It is 21-6 long. My wife and I Ski Aggressively (but not on a course) and the wake is good, Son Wakeboards behind it and get good air when Bag is full and Wedge is down.

Just recently purchased a 2015 Response TXi for my wife and I, (the Kids are grown up and seem to  Prefer Waterskiing now and not much Wakeboarding).  The Response is DD but is 12" Shorter.

We will be selling our Wakestter LXi soon if interested.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:08 PM, HRemington said:

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but a related on-topic question.  I have a 2000 Response LX, but at some point soon would love to upgrade just a smidgen to a walk-through bow and maybe the next hull rendition that might be a tad better than my present one.  What i don't know is the difference between the Sunsetter and Response, and the model year I should look for.  I think 2007 is the first year for the Response walk-thru, but don't know about the Sunsetter. It seems like I've read here somewhere a few less than glowing comments about that 2007 model with regard to hull, wake, and balance.  I see member Sixball has that one, so I'd love to have his input as he is also a dedicated though much better slalom guy than I. 

2003 Response LXi is the first year of the walk through bow.  As far as hull, wake, and balance, are you referring to the Sunsetter?  I don't think the LXi has issues with any of those.

10 hours ago, afcase said:

Good new bad news.

I searched and searched and read all the post.  I started to focus on the 01-04 21 LSV.  I found one about 4hours away in FL  and decided to give it a good look last weekend.  

The stats.  2004 21' LSV, after market Tower, aftermarket single axel trailer, no cover and only 59hrs on the motor (original ), included three sets of skis, two older slalom skis, new wake board , tube and knee board.

Sellers story: The seller was the second owner in his early 60's bought it for his grand kids last year to tube and ski, but they did not use it over the last year so he is selling it.  He said the previous owner was also a GF and it was on a very small lake in middle FL with little use over the years.

Went down to take a look and got sucked in.  Outside was very clean except a few gel coat spider cracks around the right side platform bracket.  It has been stored in a carport in central Florida without a cover over the last year.  He said the guy he purchased it from in Tampa had it outside  and on a lift with a non vented cover.  There was some minor wear to the vinyl but overall look pretty clean.  The gray carpet needs a little TLC.   The engine was clean, no leaks.  Took it out for  test drive ran great , started right up , idled fine, all gauges worked (except for the depth finder, which he told me about ahead of time). Fins were solid, prop clean , no dings.  Seemed nice.  Was asking 28,900 agreed on 25500.  I was super stoked and obsessed.

Now the bummer part.  Get back to GA 4 hours later very excited.  The aftermarket tower has a bracket ( which had said was foldable for storage), after I tried to fold it forward I quickly realized  it would take two grown adult males to tilt it forward for storage.  I have what I thought was the perfect storage spot , a full size barn at the end of our lower drive with 10' wide by 11' high barn door 26ft deep .  I quickly discovered without the ability to easily tillt the tower for storage the BOAT WONT FIT!  It has no cover either. 

It hurts me to think about leaving this boat out in the GA sun in the summer with or without a cover. 

Now I am stressing ... put the boat back up for sale or try and figure out how to rig a system to fold the tower with one person. 

Thoughts, comments suggestions.

Cant figure out how to post pictures??

Buy a new cover and find a new storage space?

• Like 2
On 8/12/2017 at 5:55 PM, obski said:

The banker is back in the house. 

How does the toolbox smell?

Oh man that is the best!  I joined in 07 and read all the old threads back then.  Hank's profile pic used to be animated dollar bills being flipped haha!  

13 hours ago, afcase said:

Good new bad news.

I searched and searched and read all the post.  I started to focus on the 01-04 21 LSV.  I found one about 4hours away in FL  and decided to give it a good look last weekend.  

The stats.  2004 21' LSV, after market Tower, aftermarket single axel trailer, no cover and only 59hrs on the motor (original ), included three sets of skis, two older slalom skis, new wake board , tube and knee board.

Sellers story: The seller was the second owner in his early 60's bought it for his grand kids last year to tube and ski, but they did not use it over the last year so he is selling it.  He said the previous owner was also a GF and it was on a very small lake in middle FL with little use over the years.

Went down to take a look and got sucked in.  Outside was very clean except a few gel coat spider cracks around the right side platform bracket.  It has been stored in a carport in central Florida without a cover over the last year.  He said the guy he purchased it from in Tampa had it outside  and on a lift with a non vented cover.  There was some minor wear to the vinyl but overall look pretty clean.  The gray carpet needs a little TLC.   The engine was clean, no leaks.  Took it out for  test drive ran great , started right up , idled fine, all gauges worked (except for the depth finder, which he told me about ahead of time). Fins were solid, prop clean , no dings.  Seemed nice.  Was asking 28,900 agreed on 25500.  I was super stoked and obsessed.

Now the bummer part.  Get back to GA 4 hours later very excited.  The aftermarket tower has a bracket ( which had said was foldable for storage), after I tried to fold it forward I quickly realized  it would take two grown adult males to tilt it forward for storage.  I have what I thought was the perfect storage spot , a full size barn at the end of our lower drive with 10' wide by 11' high barn door 26ft deep .  I quickly discovered without the ability to easily tillt the tower for storage the BOAT WONT FIT!  It has no cover either. 

It hurts me to think about leaving this boat out in the GA sun in the summer with or without a cover. 

Now I am stressing ... put the boat back up for sale or try and figure out how to rig a system to fold the tower with one person. 

Thoughts, comments suggestions.

Cant figure out how to post pictures??

Does the tower only fold forward or will it fold back also?  Not sure why it's so cumbersome.  Most towers can be folded by one person carefully.

Other option is just dump the tower.  You said you're not big-air types and mostly slalom.  Tower and speakers just add weight.

Can always try taking off the tower speakers too for making the folding easier.  They're really pointless appendages that just annoy everyone on the lake anyways...  :whistle:

If the boat linked above is what you bought, looks nice!  That's not a Monsoon engine though.  Looks like the LCR to me.  320 HP TBI instead of 340 HP MPI.

Edited by UWSkier

Yes the link above is the boat.  

Tower is 15’ tall on the trailer.  I don’t think after looking more closely it is was built to fold down.  I think it’s three piece and the front and rear brackets are just to assemble, It could only fold forward but looking on line at other towers this one is not like any others. Custom made by a company in FL that makes off shore boat rigging.  

I was thinking about dumping the tower too. If so how hard is it to get the holes patched and repaired so I don’t ruin the boat. 

Thanks 

29 minutes ago, afcase said:

Yes the link above is the boat.  

Tower is 15’ tall on the trailer.  I don’t think after looking more closely it is was built to fold down.  I think it’s three piece and the front and rear brackets are just to assemble, It could only fold forward but looking on line at other towers this one is not like any others. Custom made by a company in FL that makes off shore boat rigging.  

I was thinking about dumping the tower too. If so how hard is it to get the holes patched and repaired so I don’t ruin the boat. 

Thanks 

Remove the bolts at the rear joint (even height and to the rear of the bimini mount) and fold the center section forward. Those are flat-plate joints that drop into a grooved mount front and rear, it should fold.

Beautiful boat! Once you figure out these little quirks I'm sure you'll end up loving it.

• Like 1

That’s what I was trying to do, pulled the back bolts but it’s so high and heavy as I started to tilt it I was afraid it would get away from me and come crashing down.  I weigh about 200# and pretty strong and as it went more forward it was clear this was not a one man job so I brought it back. 

Thinking of pulling it 

If i bought it i would be concerned with towing it and getting caught on an overhang or tree limb, drive through or something. My 01 with tower is only 9' 4" or 6 i believe. On the swoop tower like mine, the front bolts come out and tower pivots down toward the back. Front legs come up and back legs are the fulcrum point. One thing is maybe you can buy a custom cover or modify barn. Maybe buy  a fabric tent shelter or have barn added onto with lean to. Thats a tall tower if on the trailer you get 15 feet. 

Looking at the pics, it looks like a nice tower. Just to add, i park under a lean to that is tall enough to not fold. My barn had 9' doors so i cut a notch in the header above the door so i could put boat in there unfolded too. The header is not a weight bearing header on mine since it is more of a closed pole barn. So you did in fact buy that one? Congrats. Thats what i say. Buy ithe boat and proper storage will present itself in some way. 

Edited by williemon

I looked at the pics on my mac. Thats a nice boat. Id keep the tower. The tower speakers are a nice touch but i might take those off. Looks like the speaker wires would prevent a fold back so i guess fold forward would be the way to do it. The engine is MPI. I can see the fuel rails and the injectors. The rails are black. Id try to mod the barn you have or take tower speakers off to lighten the load. 

Update.  

I was able to get the tower folded forward with the help of a home made tool. The Height with the tower forward is 9’6” so it should fit in the barn!  It only took me maybe 5min to tilt it. I can live with that.   Good idea on removing the speakers .

Now the Engine question.  This boat was sold as having a monsoon 340hp engines.  It has been stated here that it is not. 

The engine plate does say Indmur 5.7L MPI. Mfg. date 6/23/2003.  I’m just not clear what engine it is if it’s not the monsoon.  If you look at the above posted web site there is no plastic cover and no name like i see in other pics for the LCR and Monsoon. 

Do I go back to the seller to get some $$ back ?

Thoughts ?

LCR didn't always have a plastic cover.  I misspoke above where I said it was TBI.  It's PFI just like the Monsoon, just slightly less aggressively-tuned.  It's actually more like the original Monsoon which started as a 320HP, then 325, 335, 340 HP before Malibu started using that name haphazardly.

It's possible the PO didn't realize it wasn't a Monsoon either.  You could always call him and see if he offers anything to make you happy, but sometimes with used vehicles, it's buyer beware.  That and the LCR really is a great motor.  You're not giving up much having that vs the Monsoon.