Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Aftermarket rear camera install on 2017 VLX

crstein70

For my 22 VLX I bought a camera that has the double side mount with it.  Cleaned the bottom side of the aluminum plate real good and applied the mount with the double sided tape.  It's been in the same place now for a few months now and not looking like it has loosened any.  I would just make sure you have the orientation right before mounting it.  It's a PITA to try to unscrew the camera from the mount once it is stuck there on the plates that the mounting screws are covered.  I did the same as Phinz for getting the cables into the boat.  Then ran them up to the helm for the connections. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Photos please 

On 30/05/2018 at 9:47 AM, Blenderhead said:

Soooooo after days of searching for my rear video cable input under my helm a buddy of mine recommended that I remove the starboard side passenger back pad up in the bow..... and boom there it was hanging... to include the OEM power plug for the OEM Malibu camera.   I was beginning to think that I didnt have a video cable.  2018 21VLX by the way.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, Jusmud said:

Of the camera placement please 

Of the process or the camera?   My boat is up getting serviced and wont have it until the end of the week if you are asking for pictures.

As another option for a rear camera. I took my GoPro hero 4 and hooked it up to the screen. This way I can record good quality footage and have a rear view camera. Works great through rca and I also have power. 

• Like 2

We tried the GoPro ( had a Hero 5 Session) set up at the back but it kept getting in the way & riders kept knocking it.

We are looking for something that doesn't interfere with movement on & off the boat.

BTW Cole2001 how did you power your GoPro & keep its waterproof integrity ?

Did anyone thing to mount it to the tower like Nautique does? My biggest gripe about the location of the Bu camera is that I can't hardly see anything with it. Surfers I can see marginally well, but any other sport you can't see anything. Would be nice to get a view from up top to also be able to see the crew in addition to the rider.

• 3 weeks later...

Same I spent an 1 hour yesterday on my back under the helm looking for the input or something similar  to no avail

Maybe the the wiring harness on the early 22VLX are different to the later models VLX's

Will continue to look the the elusive input tonight and when I find it I will post photos.;)

On my LSV I “think” I recall seeing the camera pigtail hanging closer to the throttle while messing with a stereo issue over the weekend.  Just a thought for those looking

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, Cole2001 said:

As another option for a rear camera. I took my GoPro hero 4 and hooked it up to the screen. This way I can record good quality footage and have a rear view camera. Works great through rca and I also have power. 

Any details on this install / setup?

45 minutes ago, AussieSkier said:

Any details on this install / setup?

Well not sure if Malibu has the rca input like my new Tige does but if so I’ll list off the parts. 

~Gopro skeleton case found anywhere on amazon 

~25ft of rca (I used subwoofer cable just because it’s a single strand and high quality) 

~15ft mini USB to the closest 12v plug for power 

~most importantly the GoPro combo cable (I cut the red and white off just to minimize clutter).  https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00A3MY6X2/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~standard GoPro mount attached just behind the rear locker so cable can just hang out and look super neat. Because I mounted it where water splashes up I took some silicone and sealed the plug into the case so water doesn’t get in. Only downfall is I can’t take the GoPro out so I need to download over wifi. 

• Like 1
On 30/07/2018 at 4:36 PM, Jusmud said:

Same I spent an 1 hour yesterday on my back under the helm looking for the input or something similar  to no avail

Maybe the the wiring harness on the early 22VLX are different to the later models VLX's

Will continue to look the the elusive input tonight and when I find it I will post photos.;)

Ok finally found the camera wire & followed it back to the helm (Photo #2) with the yellow & black wires going into the touch screen  , but still trying to find were abouts in the bow it finishes.   Open to suggestions !!!! 

5e65f9e6-76be-49ce-af9b-365403ae64b8_zpsf7b3950d-64de-405a-94d4-9cedb34bcef2_zps

Edited by Jusmud

You should have an open yellow RCA female connector under your helm that is labeled "rear camera".   The wire you followed (if not an RCA connector) could potentially be the front facing camera wire coming from your glove box which is not the wire you want to connect to.

There are also power wires that are labeled the same....BUT, you can also just connect to any power that shows voltage when ACC power is on and ground to the bus bar under the helm.  

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2018 at 3:43 PM, phinz said:

I used crazy glue to attach it to the underside of the aluminum step just for testing but after a year and half it is still stuck there solid. As for the wires I went down the blower tube a little and then just poked a small hole in it. After routing the wires I used some electrical tape to close it up.

Good lord, it took me a long time to get this thing installed.  I kept putting it off after having trouble finding the connector.   I FINALLY finished it off a couple weeks ago.    Based upon some of the comments here, I chose a "semi" permanent install.  Power and signal are run up to the dash (connector is right were everyone said it would be, but had slid down behind the panel with the breakers on it a bit... just pulled on wires gently until it came up... nicely coiled up, and labeled.   I have the camera itself mounted in the blower exhaust but chose not to make that permanent until I saw how it performed, so it is installed with a bit of Velcro.   

After setting it all up on the right screen, the picture looks decent when still... but underway two things are bugging me... First, under way it gets some horizontal line interference (as others have noted, but seems to clear up SOME as RPMs rise, which I think is interesting), and second, the refresh rate is not great either, so the video is kind of choppy when watching a surfer. 

Net, its better than not having it.   Very useful around the ramp on a weekend late afternoon... anything that helps me know where all the other boats are is a good thing.   It is also useful for knowing when my surfer goes down...  It is close to my line of vision while driving, so less time with my eyes off the water in front of me.  It is NOT so useful for trying to coach someone.  as the video quality just isnt good enough. 

SO.... has anyone found a better camera that has a better refresh rate?  I suspect the interference COULD be a crappy signal cable... so I might try buying a better quality cable and see if that helps, but clearly the refresh rate is as much of an issue as anything.  If there isnt anything better out there, Ill try a better cable, and mount it permanently as @phinz did.

Thank in advance!

After I posted this post I had my boat in the shop and they knocked my camera loose. So much for using crazy glue but 2 years wasn't bad. When fixing it this time around I went with the CCD camera like some of the others have said. It's better but don't expect HD quality. Also this time around I used JB weld for attaching it.

How is the picture quality of the stock camera?