Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Aftermarket rear camera install on 2017 VLX

crstein70

I bought an aftermarket waterproof camera and mounted it under the rear ateo of our 21 VLX. I ran both the power and the video cable up behind the glove box. I connected the power to the back of the 12 volt adapter and added a female to female rca adapter and pulled the video cable out the back of the glove box video adapter. When you power up the boat and chose video the camera appears and it works great. The video seems to turn  black if you turn on the engine. 

#1. Does the dash came only work with the engine off?

#2 Where would I find the video connection for the rear view input?

the rear camera input is actually up under the helm. it should be labeled. once you have that connected, you will be able to see it from the 'media' page. however, I order for you to activate the auto back up, you will have to go into the settings and turn it on. 

question for you, when you plugged it into the video port in the glove box, did you select the 'front camera' from the media screen?

On 8/4/2017 at 11:15 AM, NewMalibu said:

the rear camera input is actually up under the helm. it should be labeled. once you have that connected, you will be able to see it from the 'media' page. however, I order for you to activate the auto back up, you will have to go into the settings and turn it on. 

question for you, when you plugged it into the video port in the glove box, did you select the 'front camera' from the media screen?

I still can't find the video port for the rear camera. Any help?

• 5 weeks later...

I just did the same on my 2017 21 VLX. The rear camera port is in the wire lume that comes out of the 7" screen. Here is a picture of the connector and lume. The rca connector was pushed through the hole in the hull.

I originally wired mine to the glove box and had the same issue. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Can you give us a bit more info? Which camera did you go with? How is the quality? Has it been tested with actual movement behind it? Was the frame rate legit?

I am looking to setup a camera for surfing as well.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:24 PM, dielawn said:

Can you give us a bit more info? Which camera did you go with? How is the quality? Has it been tested with actual movement behind it? Was the frame rate legit?

I am looking to setup a camera for surfing as well.

I picked up a cheap cam from amazon for $9 just to try it. Frame rate is slow, but does help see a rider if crew is in the way. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just tried this on my 2015 22VLX and I only have the one video input. It’s the same one that is for the glove box. So when I turn on the engine, the video cuts out. What am I missing?

7 hours ago, NewMalibu said:

did you look up underneath the helm? that is where the rearview camera inputs are. the one in the glove box are different.

Soooooo after days of searching for my rear video cable input under my helm a buddy of mine recommended that I remove the starboard side passenger back pad up in the bow..... and boom there it was hanging... to include the OEM power plug for the OEM Malibu camera.   I was beginning to think that I didnt have a video cable.  2018 21VLX by the way.

Edited by Blenderhead
On 30/05/2018 at 9:47 AM, Blenderhead said:

Soooooo after days of searching for my rear video cable input under my helm a buddy of mine recommended that I remove the starboard side passenger back pad up in the bow..... and boom there it was hanging... to include the OEM power plug for the OEM Malibu camera.   I was beginning to think that I didnt have a video cable.  2018 21VLX by the way.

Are they labeled?

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, Jusmud said:

Are they labeled?

they are definitely labeled.  For your cable on the 22vlx...you should be able to locate right up under your helm.   My buddy just looked up there and it was hanging on his 22. 

So on my 17 25LSV there is a yellow RCA input in the glove box. It sounds like this is different then the backup camera input. I want to install a camera to watch when a surfer falls on the dash screen. Anyone have a link to the camera they used?

I recently had my mechanic install a decent back up camera on my 2015  22VLX, and the quality of the camera is just fine, but when the engine is one, it turns choppy and unusable due to engine interference. Does anyone have a quick fix for such a thing? Is this a grounding issue of some type? 

On 6/11/2018 at 9:53 AM, Blenderhead said:

The rear camera input is up under the helm.  The front camera input is in your glove box.

this is the camera I installed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07872V3GF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How is the refresh rate on that camera? I installed this one but the refresh rate is really jumpy.

https://www.amazon.com/Esky-EC170-11-Smallest-Waterproof-Rearview/dp/B00H3ZN3JK

The refresh the camera I installed has a decent refresh rate but you can still notice some (very minor) lag.  A buddy of mine said to go with a CCD instead of a CMOS camera for the best results.  This weekend I will take some video and send to you so you can see the quality of the video.

Thanks to this thread I was able to locate mine on the third attempt at searching. Still haven't seen the power cable for the OEM camera, but I have an adapter I can use. Does anyone have a picture of the power cable under the dash?

This is on a 2017 25LSV
I tried to show the location as best as I could in the photo.

camera2.jpg

camera1.jpg

• Like 1

If you cant find the camera power cables, a buddy of mine found a wire labeled "gray hill" (under the helm) that will work for powering the camera.  It powers up 12v when you power up the dash.  You can run the negative to the negative bus bar up under the dash.   This combo works well for the backup camera

Edited by Blenderhead

I bought one of these :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3ZN3JK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I havent been able to find my connector yet, but I think with the pictures here I should be able to the next time I search. 

Where did you guys mount the camera on the 22VLX?   Im thinking of mounting it to the bottom of the center aluminum step over the blower vent.. but it is not obvious to me where I want to take the cables into the boat.  Im also a little reluctant to peel back the sea deck on that so I can put screws through it, at least until I can see how well it works.   Im thinking of velcro or hot glue as an initial solution until I know everything is working well.   Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, JeffC said:

I bought one of these :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3ZN3JK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I havent been able to find my connector yet, but I think with the pictures here I should be able to the next time I search. 

Where did you guys mount the camera on the 22VLX?   Im thinking of mounting it to the bottom of the center aluminum step over the blower vent.. but it is not obvious to me where I want to take the cables into the boat.  Im also a little reluctant to peel back the sea deck on that so I can put screws through it, at least until I can see how well it works.   Im thinking of velcro or hot glue as an initial solution until I know everything is working well.   Any thoughts?

I used crazy glue to attach it to the underside of the aluminum step just for testing but after a year and half it is still stuck there solid. As for the wires I went down the blower tube a little and then just poked a small hole in it. After routing the wires I used some electrical tape to close it up.