Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Discuss: Sign of the apocalypse or genius innovation?

shawndoggy

Cool, as long as it doesn't wash out the wave. 

Oddly enough, I hear it a lot when tied up at the cove that the boat has no ladder (towboats are fairly uncommon where we are). 

Cobalt holds the patent on that and Malibu now owns Cobalt. The best version by far is on the new Sea Ray inboard. Sea Ray just lost a lawsuit to Cobalt however. Not sure if they can still use it. The platform is one of the most liked features on a Cobalt. Makes a great place to sit and enjoy a drink or for kids, pets and others to get in and out of the boat. The Sea Ray and Cobalt platforms extend almost the full width of the platform. Makes for a better execution than the one shown. It has zero effect on the wake.

Edited by Sailvi767
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Sailvi767 said:

That did not take long after Malibu bought Cobalt. The platform will have no effect on the wave. It hinges back up. See this thread I started.

That is an MB not a Malibu ;)  The potential issue from the wake is those huge L hinges that you can see hanging down when it is closed.  Not to mention just slamming your knees into them if you climb on without dropping the step

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, Sailvi767 said:

That did not take long after Malibu bought Cobalt. The platform will have no effect on the wave. It hinges back up. See this thread I started.

Huh? Isn't this more a function of centurion buying supreme and then being swallowed by Nautique?

8 minutes ago, NAW said:

I hope a small company like MB can withstand the lawsuit that's headed their way by Cobalt.

Is the concept patented?  First thing I thought was that it looked just like the step on my grandparents' 74 airstream. 

Edited by shawndoggy
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Is the concept patented?  First thing I thought was that it looked just like the step on my grandparents' 74 airstream. 

I don't have any knowledge of what the patent pertains too.  And I don't have any insider knowledge...just a guess that if it's even close to infringing on the patent, Cobalt would and should go after them.  Unfortunately for MB, I bet paying a royalty, or ceasing the production of the infringing item will be cheaper than fighting a lawsuit.

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

New for 2018 MB swim platform with integrated boarding step

post-921-0-18508100-1501003862.jpg

Vid of step in action: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1st9rgw9ltnilhx/24226.3gp?dl=0

Does it stay under water all of the time when the hull is wet? If so this would be a mess for those of us who moor or use a slip. Looks like the one way below the water line must stow like the ladders do.

Like RyanB, I installed a ladder as well to give my wife easier access to the water and I'm glad it did it. Makes boating more enjoyable for her which makes it more enjoyable for me...I'm sure you understand. :biggrin:

42 minutes ago, DAI said:

Apocalypse . . . Wakesurfing just became the bowling of water sports.

...or the equivalent of 6x6 co-ed beach volleyball

28 minutes ago, jgates237 said:

Does it stay under water all of the time when the hull is wet? If so this would be a mess for those of us who moor or use a slip. Looks like the one way below the water line must stow like the ladders do.

Like RyanB, I installed a ladder as well to give my wife easier access to the water and I'm glad it did it. Makes boating more enjoyable for her which makes it more enjoyable for me...I'm sure you understand. :biggrin:

The lower thing just flips up and fills the inset on the platform, although I think you would get a lot of slime build up in there if moored.   I guess we are lucky, my 71 year old father in-law and his 80 year old buddy are still skiing the course every morning so getting onto a platform is just part of the daily routine.

Edited by oldjeep
58 minutes ago, DAI said:

Apocalypse . . . Wakesurfing just became the bowling of water sports.

Isn't bowling a lot more difficult?

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, jgates237 said:

Watch the linked video