Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

drive shaft coupler issue - advice

southernfried

Hey guys, was out on the lake and heard super quiet clicking while my 02 VLX was in gear. Inspected it on the trailer and didn't see anything obvious(oops). I used the boat a little over the weekend. I was slowly powering out of the pocket with the throttle and that's when it happened. The shaft coupler bolts came out, or enough came out for it to look like below. Again it wasn't under a full load or anything when it happened fortunately.

My question is, can I get by just by replacing the nuts/bolts of the shaft coupler or should I go ahead and order a new shaft coupler and replace it all together? Anything other advice or suggestions/parts to replace please let me know.

Pictures(the crack you might see is from me taking a picture of the pic/phone with another phone):

iwusys.jpg

2uhbe6s.jpg

jsk2kw.jpg

Edited by southernfried

@southernfried:  Maybe, but I would root cause why the bolts came out before I proceeded & check engine alignment while you are at it.  What is the wihitish stuff on the coupler, maybe I just can't tell what that is.  You might want to take the coupler and have it crack tested and I would inspect or check the mating face to ensure it is flat (if not, the same thing will happen again).

Woodski, the whitish coloring is from the coupler hitting something(assuming). I haven't had a chance to look at it again since I've taken those pictures. I don't have a certified malibu dealer close to me, this might be a huge headache. As far as I know, I think one bolt came off, then another loosened and there's finally only one bolt holding it intact. Since the top layer is shaved off from the coupler shaft hitting something over and over I was uncertain if I should try to replace the bolt/nuts only or go ahead and replace the entire coupler shaft as they are only $100 on skidim.

I first noticed or started to check for issue when we were headed to trailer the boat to leave for the night. I smelled a burning plastic type smell and checked the engine compartment, extinguisher in hand. Nothing so I turned the boat on again and proceeded to put it in gear. I applied a little bit of throttle and then that's when I felt the shaft loosen up to where it is now. Still unsure what the burning smell was but it smelled similar to plastic, in my opinion.

Well the engine is out of alignment so that has to be taken care of. I cant see the end of the coupler so if it is not bad chewed up, might get by with corase alignment and then fine tune with feeler if the coupler is not too bad. Or while you work on the alignment, get a new coupler and fine tune with the new. Might as well replace strut bushings at the same time if you pull coupler. 

Happened on a friend's 09 moomba, the coupler bolts came off.. he put them back and had a couple more trouble free seasons before selling it... 

I ordered the bolts and a blower fan from skidim, great people over there. I will put new bolts in first, take it out for a small test and if it doesn't feel right I've spoken to a dealer in Bossier City, LA(Bayou Outdoor) that will look at it. That's the closest malibu dealer as far as I know.

1 hour ago, southernfried said:

I ordered the bolts and a blower fan from skidim, great people over there. I will put new bolts in first, take it out for a small test and if it doesn't feel right I've spoken to a dealer in Bossier City, LA(Bayou Outdoor) that will look at it. That's the closest malibu dealer as far as I know.

Are you mechanical? I would align the motor, gap it to .003 and put the bolts back in. 

Any local boat shop would be able to fix that if the dealership is a long drive. 

2 hours ago, malibu2004 said:

Are you mechanical? I would align the motor, gap it to .003 and put the bolts back in. 

Any local boat shop would be able to fix that if the dealership is a long drive. 

Somewhat but would have some help from my father but if he's too busy I might take it to a local service shop.