Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone use Floor Ballast Bags?

Q85

Just wondering why you need a floor bag. You should be able to make a great wave with all hidden ballast (except maybe need bow sac). Are you listed or gated?

I'm using the Mission Delta.  Some surf sessions its just my wife and I; w/o the the weight of a bigger crew I don't get enough push.  I'm currently running full MLS, 500lbs bow, 1100 x 2 rear (3/4 full), wedge all the way down, 10.8mph - maybe i should fill the lockers to the max and increase the speed instead of adding more cabin weight when its just the 2 of us?

Fill the rears all they way for sure. Adjust the wedge: Start all the way down and click it up 1 at a time every 10 seconds till the wave doesn't get any better. If you didn't know: all the way down is 400#, 50% is 1200#'s. (or it's at least proportional that way). Adjusting speed up with loose a bit of wave height, but will lengthen the wave. Try 11.4 to 11.6. If you can't reach that, then lower the wedge or drop some rear weight.

What boat do you have?  My 2006 23 LSV likes weight midships.  When I ran a surf device, I used an 800 lb Sumo Floor Sac.  It made a world of difference.  Now that I have GSA and ballast under the seats, I don't use it.  

For most people my hidden ballast is enough.  When I surf, I still like to have a Sumo 325 on the floor.  It just seems to help the wave have more push in the curl. 

Edited by Kojak

2013. 23lsv. And now especially the 2016  25 lsv..  

Both these boats love a 1 k sack in center floor.. way better than bow weight. Anytime I tried bow weight in either of these boats it killed the wave and made it worsr. And especially more so in the 25. 

It's so noticeable I never actually understood why anybody put weight in the bow in either of these boats.. the only thing I could figure is people didn't try putting it in the center floor.. granted I had the 550's in the old boat and what I think are 750s in the new boat 4 rear Locker bags

Edited by The Hulk
19 hours ago, The Hulk said:

2013. 23lsv. And now especially the 2016  25 lsv..  

Both these boats love a 1 k sack in center floor.. way better than bow weight. Anytime I tried bow weight in either of these boats it killed the wave and made it worsr. And especially more so in the 25. 

It's so noticeable I never actually understood why anybody put weight in the bow in either of these boats.. the only thing I could figure is people didn't try putting it in the center floor.. granted I had the 550's in the old boat and what I think are 750s in the new boat 4 rear Locker bags

I think yours didn't like the bow ballast because you didn't have enough weight in the rear lockers to balance it out. It's all about the boat having the right attitude or balance. The 1k in the center floor with 750's in the rear locker is equivalent to 1000 in lockers and 500 in bow. I'm much happier giving up the bow seating than having to climb over a bag on the floor, while simultaneously ducking the tower. I run 1200# rear lockers and 1100 bow and full MLS on my 247.

13 minutes ago, TimbrSS said:

I think yours didn't like the bow ballast because you didn't have enough weight in the rear lockers to balance it out. It's all about the boat having the right attitude or balance. The 1k in the center floor with 750's in the rear locker is equivalent to 1000 in lockers and 500 in bow. I'm much happier giving up the bow seating than having to climb over a bag on the floor, while simultaneously ducking the tower. I run 1200# rear lockers and 1100 bow and full MLS on my 247.

i agree it could be equal but just referencing stock or the standard custom bags designed. most people dont have the 1100s-1200s if you add these then yes you would need to add bow.

i was planning to try this getting the 1100s then moving bow sac up front but wanted to wait until i do custom bags with adding another fill/drain pump on. 

i'm still skeptical in the 25 because even when we have a big crew in the back-back, any bow weight still kills the wave, granted the rear lockers are further back for more leverage but i'll have to test it out.

@The Hulk FYI, I have Wakemakers 910# bags which likely fill fuller than that number, and then 200# lead right in front of each bag. So it's 1100-1200. (and full wedge too.) I run a light crew though.

2 minutes ago, TimbrSS said:

@The Hulk FYI, I have Wakemakers 910# bags which likely fill fuller than that number, and then 200# lead right in front of each bag. So it's 1100-1200. (and full wedge too.) I run a light crew though.

your in a 247 though right? hard to say with bigger wedges now and boat differences.. 

my origional thinking was to upgrade heavier so i could put the bow sac in the bow....but then i'm worried if the bow is saced down if it will be easier to cut through the waves vs rising over the wave for a novice driver that might be at the helm. i like to keep the bow nice and floaty! 

3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

your in a 247 though right? hard to say with bigger wedges now and boat differences.. 

my origional thinking was to upgrade heavier so i could put the bow sac in the bow....but then i'm worried if the bow is saced down if it will be easier to cut through the waves vs rising over the wave for a novice driver that might be at the helm. i like to keep the bow nice and floaty! 

Yep, if you position the weight towards the ends of the boat (front and rear), it's like an ice skater with their arms in, it rotates slower.  The opposite is true too, weight concentrated toward the center, skaters arms in, it rotates quicker.  Called moment of inertia.

Yes 247. Sure it's a little different. I find with all the rear weight, the bow doesn't ride that much lower than normal (with bow triangle)... when I've had less weight in the rear, sure sits low... vice versa with the swim step depth under water with less bow weight... All about the balance.

Edited by TimbrSS
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input! Took me some time but i  finally have my wave dialed in pretty nicely.  Here's my setup for an 08 23lsv - hope it helps out others.

-mls full, Didn't come with stock bow hard tank 

-1100# plumbed in each rear locker

-500# underseat plumbed in bow - prob only gets to 350-400# 

-mission delta positioned under the "L" in the Malibu logo

-acme 2419 prop, this thing is a beast, one of best upgrades I've made

-I ended up getting a Ronix 800# eight.3 trapezoid bag that I lay horizontal across the  bow.  I didint like it on the floor for all the reasons @TimbrSS mentioned.

-wedge 2 clicks up from bottom for me ( gives the wave extra height), all the way down for beginners

-10.8 mph w 2-4ppl on board 11-11.2 w more

im very happy with this setup, lots of wave height and length. The push is great, it's so much easier for beginners to go ropeless. 

@95echelon I'm 165lbs and ride a 4'3" ronix hex shell skimmer - just got the board and I love it over the ronix blender I had.  I keep a cwb ride on board for beginners.