Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BENT Surf Gate Dress Up Plate

sounddude03

After a day of surfing I pulled the boat out and found the Dress Up Plate for the surf gate was bent.  The plate is made from a thick stainless steel and is attached to the actual gate with 6 threaded studs that screw into the backside of the gate.  Has anyone else had an issue with this dress up plate bending?  I did not hit anything and have to assume the force of the water caused it to bend.

IMG_7378.JPG_zpsvxnrmtu5.jpeg

IMG_7376.JPG_zpsge08eyhm.jpeg

Wow why would it not be attached at the very front? I can't believe there are no screws or glue at the very front they must plan for these to fail. Would probably look better without those things anyway. I can't see them aging very well. 

1 hour ago, robbennett said:

Wow why would it not be attached at the very front? I can't believe there are no screws or glue at the very front they must plan for these to fail. Would probably look better without those things anyway. I can't see them aging very well. 

You can tell the plate was an after thought by Malibu.  When they introduced the gates in 2013 there was not a graphic plate on the gates, then they added it in '14 and on.  I believe the reason they didn't put a screw at the front is because that would have interfered with the mounting hardware of the actual gate.  

1 hour ago, Ahaspert said:

Our 16' 23 LSV did this in the first 30 hours of use. The dealer fixed it over the weekend and you couldn't even notice it had happened.

Did your dealer bend the plate back flat, or did they replace it?  I tried to bend it back, but you can still tell there was a bend.  I also managed to break off one of the mounting studs because the tack weld broke when trying to straighten it.  I figured I would take it out an see what happens, but I expect I'll need to replace the plate.  

This happened on my 15 VLX.  One of the front screws just fell out and the rushing water bent the plate back.  It is a warranty item (if still under warranty).  I suggest using permanent locktite when you replace it and let dry overnight.  Double check all other screws are tight, but don't over tighten.  Just order another plate and replace it yourself.  In fact, I had the dealer mail the replacement plate to me and I replaced it.  That was easier than taking the boat in...

14 hours ago, Cory said:

This happened on my 15 VLX.  One of the front screws just fell out and the rushing water bent the plate back.  It is a warranty item (if still under warranty).  I suggest using permanent locktite when you replace it and let dry overnight.  Double check all other screws are tight, but don't over tighten.  Just order another plate and replace it yourself.  In fact, I had the dealer mail the replacement plate to me and I replaced it.  That was easier than taking the boat in...

Yeah, I plan to order a new one and replace it myself too.  The only odd thing is that all 6 screws were still attached and tight when the plate bent.  Hopefully its a one off thing. My crew surfs port and have never had a problem with the starboard plate, but we had someone surfing goofy the day it happened and perhaps that uncovered a problem on the port plate that was there all along, but never stressed.   

• 1 year later...

My gate and decorative plate are not flush on the 2019 25 LSV.  I am waiting for the day that it pulls back and fails.  There is a small lip that water can catch on.  

15 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

My gate and decorative plate are not flush on the 2019 25 LSV.  I am waiting for the day that it pulls back and fails.  There is a small lip that water can catch on.  

Or a towel. I had the same issues on the rear vent grates on my 2010. I don't want to know what those cost.  

Edited by wdr

Not too bad cost wise for the SG covers. Was commenting on both catching on stuff. The front vent screens where push points for the unknowing which I had to re epoxy a couple times and the rear “23” logos may as well of been fish hooks for towels.

Tempting to buy new plates and powdercoat them black. It’s literally the only chrome left on the boat.

Anybody know if I can remove my existing plates easily without destroying them or the gate?  

CFEAE4D3-29E5-47E8-9B34-EE58AD2C6995.jpeg

7CFF8F56-B3F0-49E1-9274-D11197592DC7.jpeg

5 hours ago, IXFE said:

Tempting to buy new plates and powdercoat them black. It’s literally the only chrome left on the boat.

Anybody know if I can remove my existing plates easily without destroying them or the gate?  

7CFF8F56-B3F0-49E1-9274-D11197592DC7.jpeg

I had one of the attachment screws fall out of my 17. It looked like it would be pretty easy to detach/reattach. Active fixed it for me when it was in for it's annual checkup. If I remember correctly there are 3 or 4 screws on the backside of the surfgate that attach it to the surfgate. I'm in Austin right now so I'm a couple thousand miles from my boat but I'll check it out when I get home and let you know.

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

Powdercoat those black as a trial for us... PLEASE! That would look so amazing on your boat.

You mentioned the only chrome left... did you do something different with your cleats?

1 hour ago, Raimie said:

Powdercoat those black as a trial for us... PLEASE! That would look so amazing on your boat.

You mentioned the only chrome left... did you do something different with your cleats?

Good catch, Raimie. After I posted that I realized the cleats, gas caps, and ballast holes are all chrome. And while we’re on the subject, so is the rub rail!  Still none quite as noticeable as the surf gate bling. 

@IXFE I know I'm a little late in responding but I did get the boat out today and checked the back of my surfgates. There are 7 screws on the back of my surfgate that hold the "bling" on. If you take all of those out the surfgate bling will come right off.

You probably already figured that out but I didn't want to leave you hanging.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:35 PM, IXFE said:

Good catch, Raimie. After I posted that I realized the cleats, gas caps, and ballast holes are all chrome. And while we’re on the subject, so is the rub rail!  Still none quite as noticeable as the surf gate bling. 

You live in Texas now.  Your favorite color should be chrome.  

On 7/18/2017 at 10:53 AM, Cmb396 said:

Can you mount these on '13s? I know they're merely aesthetic, but they do look cooler than the plain gate.

I purchased a 2013 and the previous owner had these installed already.

• 4 years later...

Just had this happen on my 2015 VTX, port side, during an active day of skiing, wakeboarding and surfing. Not sure exactly when but we rarely ski and I'm wondering if that's what we were doing when it occurred, during high speed turns.  Plan ordering a new one but really would like some thoughts on the cause so it doesn't happen again or if the replacement plate is better designed. 

I'm also wondering if sealing the leading edge with silicon might prevent water from getting behind the plate to prevent it from bending.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks