Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sounddude03

BENT Surf Gate Dress Up Plate

After a day of surfing I pulled the boat out and found the Dress Up Plate for the surf gate was bent.  The plate is made from a thick stainless steel and is attached to the actual gate with 6 threaded studs that screw into the backside of the gate.  Has anyone else had an issue with this dress up plate bending?  I did not hit anything and have to assume the force of the water caused it to bend.

IMG_7378.JPG_zpsvxnrmtu5.jpeg

IMG_7376.JPG_zpsge08eyhm.jpeg

Wow why would it not be attached at the very front? I can't believe there are no screws or glue at the very front they must plan for these to fail. Would probably look better without those things anyway. I can't see them aging very well. 

Our 16' 23 LSV did this in the first 30 hours of use. The dealer fixed it over the weekend and you couldn't even notice it had happened.

1 hour ago, robbennett said:

Wow why would it not be attached at the very front? I can't believe there are no screws or glue at the very front they must plan for these to fail. Would probably look better without those things anyway. I can't see them aging very well. 

You can tell the plate was an after thought by Malibu.  When they introduced the gates in 2013 there was not a graphic plate on the gates, then they added it in '14 and on.  I believe the reason they didn't put a screw at the front is because that would have interfered with the mounting hardware of the actual gate.  

1 hour ago, Ahaspert said:

Our 16' 23 LSV did this in the first 30 hours of use. The dealer fixed it over the weekend and you couldn't even notice it had happened.

Did your dealer bend the plate back flat, or did they replace it?  I tried to bend it back, but you can still tell there was a bend.  I also managed to break off one of the mounting studs because the tack weld broke when trying to straighten it.  I figured I would take it out an see what happens, but I expect I'll need to replace the plate.  

This happened on my 15 VLX.  One of the front screws just fell out and the rushing water bent the plate back.  It is a warranty item (if still under warranty).  I suggest using permanent locktite when you replace it and let dry overnight.  Double check all other screws are tight, but don't over tighten.  Just order another plate and replace it yourself.  In fact, I had the dealer mail the replacement plate to me and I replaced it.  That was easier than taking the boat in...

14 hours ago, Cory said:

This happened on my 15 VLX.  One of the front screws just fell out and the rushing water bent the plate back.  It is a warranty item (if still under warranty).  I suggest using permanent locktite when you replace it and let dry overnight.  Double check all other screws are tight, but don't over tighten.  Just order another plate and replace it yourself.  In fact, I had the dealer mail the replacement plate to me and I replaced it.  That was easier than taking the boat in...

Yeah, I plan to order a new one and replace it myself too.  The only odd thing is that all 6 screws were still attached and tight when the plate bent.  Hopefully its a one off thing. My crew surfs port and have never had a problem with the starboard plate, but we had someone surfing goofy the day it happened and perhaps that uncovered a problem on the port plate that was there all along, but never stressed.   

Can you mount these on '13s? I know they're merely aesthetic, but they do look cooler than the plain gate.

Great Lakes Skipper

This guy had some, you can check the website to see if he still does.