Katman1100

Torch Lake

I am thinking about make a trip up to torch lake in Michigan the end of July, just because I have heard how beautiful the water is.  Is it worth it? I am about 6 hours away in Indianapolis and would normally just drive down to Dale Hollow or Cumberland.  I am just thinking of doing this for a change of pace.  I realize it is a much smaller lake and probably alot colder.

We will probably just camp somewhere near and go out every day for for 3 or 4 days.  What else should we see when we are up there? Any recommendations on places to stay, we have an rv we will probably bring unless something better is recommended. 

Also any specific areas of the lake better than others? We like to slalom and surf. What lakes are connected to it and can you get to them with a tower up on the boat. I have a 2000 vlx if that matters.

Thanks for any help, hopefully I posted this in the correct forum.

torch is AMAZING! 

If you need any early skiing, I believe clam, which is connected, would be the way to go

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Well worth the trip!  Connects to several lakes, more boating than you'll ever need.  Elk, Skegemog, Torch, Clam, and Belliare.   Your boat can do them all as I have with my LSV.  Clam would be best for slalom, but there is a course at the south end of Elk.  Torch Has 2 gas docks and 1 boat up restaurant.  Elk has 1 Gas dock, and 1 boat up restaurant. Elk  Also has docks you can use to walk into town for more food options.  Feel free to pm me for more info it's truly a great area.  I'm on Elk stop by and say Hi!

elkglass1.JPG

Edited by powderjay
3 people like this

Thank you so much for the info that is exactly what I needed to know.  Is there any places to take kids snorkeling in any of those lakes?  Also I have been researching the area a little bit, is it worth a day trip up to cruise on the Inland waterway  if  I have time.  It looks like I may be able to be up there for 5 days now?

filet mignon at modes bum steer, traverse city, is one of the nicest cuts of meats i've had in a long time.

boone's long lake inn serves up some really nice fish dishes.

If you are interested in beer definitely try and stop by Short's either in Elk Rapids or in Bellaire. Pub in Bellaire serves up some great food and they do a neat tour of the original building for $10 that includes a beer and a souvenir pint glass if you've got a rainy day. I think they offer tours of the Elk Rapids facility as well.

Inland Waterway is definitely something to experience if you have the time and willingness to trailer up there. Girlfriend's folks have a place on Mullett that we visit frequently so I know Mullett and the Cheboygan/Indian Rivers better than Burt and Crooked so I'll provide any info I can. If you are trying to cruise the whole waterway be prepared for a long day. Going through the locks on Crooked Lake/River as well as in Cheboygan to Lake Huron is a cool experience. Both Mullett and Burt are known for being some of the best inland fishing in Michigan if you are into it. If you are trying to ski/board/surf on Mullett you will want to be out there early and stick to the western shore as the trees block most of the wind. Even on calm days the eastern shore is a rough ride.

Pier 33 on the Cheboygan has great lunch/dinner and Hackmatack Inn on the Cheboygan is a neat place to stop for a drink. If you are in downtown Indian River in the evening the pizza at Vivio's is a must.

Thanks again for the all the info. I will let you know what I ended up doing  while I was there and give an update of how it went.

Posted (edited)

We go every year. Will be there this sat 7-22 through sat 7-29. We have 2 cabins, one is avail wed-sat at $175/night. 2br full kitchen w/slip on clam river. PM me if interested.

Edited by Kalamazoo

+1 on Short's brewery in bellaire!!

1 person likes this

Been there a few times for the sandbar on 4th of july but never adventured the lake.  The lake looks amazing too bad we just went to party