Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VTX Powerwedge Gauge Calibration

I have read some other threads on this but haven't found a definite answer. When I go into service on the screen and go to power wedge all I have is "present" there isn't an option for doing the up down calibration. My gauge reads that it is down all the time and it is not, it is all the way up. It goes up and down but I don't know where it is positioned at because the gauge doesn't work. If I go over 25mph it screen flashes because it thinks the wedge is down. What parts do I need or what do I need to do to fix this? Thank you in advance I know this topic is like beating a dead horse...

Travis.

I believe, it lets you program wedge "not present" or something like that. Maybe center button on the right. Dont Remember exactly. You can still use the wedge. Just wont get the warning if it is down.

2 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I believe, it lets you program wedge "not present" or something like that. Maybe center button on the right. Dont Remember exactly. You can still use the wedge. Just wont get the warning if it is down.

:plus1: I'm in this mode right now.  I'm experiencing the same problem as the OP.  However, I've recently replaced the actuators and the mini-mmdc and refuse to pay the ~80% markup dealers are charging for the control box after it comes from Lenco, to Malibu, and then to the dealership.  As much as I'd like the gauge to work I'm sorta getting used to having it turned off through the computer and manually controlling it.  Let me know if you're interested in the replacement part number for that control box, I'd just need to know your current control box #.  

14 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

:plus1: I'm in this mode right now.  I'm experiencing the same problem as the OP.  However, I've recently replaced the actuators and the mini-mmdc and refuse to pay the ~80% markup dealers are charging for the control box after it comes from Lenco, to Malibu, and then to the dealership.  As much as I'd like the gauge to work I'm sorta getting used to having it turned off through the computer and manually controlling it.  Let me know if you're interested in the replacement part number for that control box, I'd just need to know your current control box #.  

What is the mini-mmcd? Also where would I find the current control box number? What do you think I all need for parts to fix this so the gauge works? Thank you for your help. 

Translates data from the ECU to the gauges.  I had other issues, you shouldn't need to replace yours.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I was told I need control box # 30271-0025D since I installed the 5 lobe actuators.  

Just now, Signguy605 said:

What is the mini-mmcd? Also where would I find the current control box number? What do you think I all need for parts to fix this so the gauge works? Thank you for your help. 

I talked to a guy at Malibu today and he told me to find a 6" x 6" black box under the dash (Lenco Box) loosen the bolt on that box that holds the wiring harness connector. He said when you pull that connector out more than likely water will come out of that box. He said the the water will travel up through the actuators on the back and through the wire harness to that box. If there is water in that black box he said I'll need new actuators and an new Lenco box. 

Does anybody have any idea what that Lenco box and actuators cost? Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Signguy605 said:

I talked to a guy at Malibu today and he told me to find a 6" x 6" black box under the dash (Lenco Box) loosen the bolt on that box that holds the wiring harness connector. He said when you pull that connector out more than likely water will come out of that box. He said the the water will travel up through the actuators on the back and through the wire harness to that box. If there is water in that black box he said I'll need new actuators and an new Lenco box. 

Does anybody have any idea what that Lenco box and actuators cost? Thank you. 

The guy you talked to needs fired.

• Like 2

I thought about editing my above statement due to the possibility that some of the information you received may have misconstrued.  But after analyzing your post I feel I should point out all the wrong information, imo, that you received.  

1. Wedge control box is not square, it's more like 4x6, not exactly sure of the dimensions, it is black so he nailed that...

2. There is no bolt holding the wiring harness to the box.  I think you just pinch and retract a retaining piece and then pinch and remove the wire harness.  

3. Lenco has plenty of faults but at ~$500 a control box getting flooded while tucked under the dash...

4. So he honestly told you that water can travel from the actuators, along the elctrical wires behind the transom, through the watertight fittings at the transom,  up the gunnel, up underneath the dash, and into the control box?

On 7/13/2017 at 10:40 PM, Ndawg12 said:

I thought about editing my above statement due to the possibility that some of the information you received may have misconstrued.  But after analyzing your post I feel I should point out all the wrong information, imo, that you received.  

1. Wedge control box is not square, it's more like 4x6, not exactly sure of the dimensions, it is black so he nailed that...

2. There is no bolt holding the wiring harness to the box.  I think you just pinch and retract a retaining piece and then pinch and remove the wire harness.  

3. Lenco has plenty of faults but at ~$500 a control box getting flooded while tucked under the dash...

4. So he honestly told you that water can travel from the actuators, along the elctrical wires behind the transom, through the watertight fittings at the transom,  up the gunnel, up underneath the dash, and into the control box?

Yeah, that is what he told me, I'm with you Ndawg12. I took the boat off the water and put it on the trailer and took it to my shop. No water in the Lenco box... The power wedge is working just fine, goes up and down no problem (had to spin the speed sensor to go back up). So what I've found out is the gauge doesn't work and even with the wedge all the way up the dash alarm goes off and flashes and says power wedge down, slow down after 25 mph. So at the end of the day I'd like to figure out what the heck I need to do to fix the gauge and get that alarm to quit going off. Thank you in advance for your input.  

18 minutes ago, Signguy605 said:

Yeah, that is what he told me, I'm with you Ndawg12. I took the boat off the water and put it on the trailer and took it to my shop. No water in the Lenco box... The power wedge is working just fine, goes up and down no problem (had to spin the speed sensor to go back up). So what I've found out is the gauge doesn't work and even with the wedge all the way up the dash alarm goes off and flashes and says power wedge down, slow down after 25 mph. So at the end of the day I'd like to figure out what the heck I need to do to fix the gauge and get that alarm to quit going off. Thank you in advance for your input.  

Yeah, the more I think about it I'm not sure a new box will fix my issue.  I used to be able to cycle the gauge by pulling power to the control box.  Now the gauge is stuck down and the only way to move the gauge is with a swipe.  Maybe I pulled a wire loose with all my messing around under there lately.

Edited by Ndawg12

When I had to change my actuators. My gauge quit working. I eventually changed out the Lenco control box and all is now good. Until I changed out the control box this is what I did.

Setup-Service-Power Wedge-Now press the E button-The "PW Present" will flash-Now press an arrow Up or down-It should now say "PW    N/A"- Press the E button and it will quit flashing. Exit out by pressing the red button.

Wedge should be inactive, but should still work.  I always physically verified it was up or down.

Don't Forget you have the wedge down. :)

34 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

Yeah, the more I think about it I'm not sure a new box will fix my issue.  I used to be able to cycle the gauge by pulling power to the control box.  Now the gauge is stuck down and the only way to move the gauge is with a swipe.  Maybe I pulled a wire loose with all my messing around under there lately.

Can you fill me in on what you mean by moving the gauge with a swipe? Thank you. 

-on another quick note, my boat just quit in the middle of the lake this past weekend, absolutely won't restart. I think it is the coil. Unless there is a low oil sensor that shuts it down? I have the 383 hammerhead and I talked to Indmar last week and they told me if I don't have the dip stick update that they did back then to add one more quart after it reads full on my dip stick? 

18 hours ago, Signguy605 said:

Can you fill me in on what you mean by moving the gauge with a swipe? Thank you. 

-on another quick note, my boat just quit in the middle of the lake this past weekend, absolutely won't restart. I think it is the coil. Unless there is a low oil sensor that shuts it down? I have the 383 hammerhead and I talked to Indmar last week and they told me if I don't have the dip stick update that they did back then to add one more quart after it reads full on my dip stick? 

I believe you go into the service or diagnostics mode on the main display and select gauge swipe, something like that, there aren't a ton of options so it shouldn't be hard to find.  I think the gauge swipe just confirms that the gauge is functioning mechanically and receiving communication from the MMDC.  

I've experienced a low oil pressure alarm.  I could see the system going into limp mode if conditions got bad enough, but not totally shutting down.  FWIW I run 20W50 oil and I've never had the low pressure alarm come on since and I've also experienced less oil burn, almost zero actually.

Edited by Ndawg12
  • 10 months later...

Sorry to bring this up again.  I have a 2007 LSV23 with the same problem.  Power wedge works fine but the power wedge gauge is always stuck on down and does not move no matter what position the wedge is on.  I do see the gauge move upon boat power up and then just stays on down.  I can deal with no gauge but the 25 mph alarm is annoying.  I just want to clarify that going to the service menu, power wedge, then pw present and turning that off will solve this issue.  I have not tried that yet.  I just want to make sure the power wedge will work but the alarm will no longer go off?  Thanks guys.  Also, the gauge seems to move on power up so I believe the gauge works but what sends it the info to stay down?  Is there a fix to this anybody is aware of?

• 2 years later...

Anyone. Finally work out the fix for the non functioning wake gauge ? Mine does the same thing .. wedge works , alarm works but no gauge 

cheers Luke 

I believe 2007 had the Lenco box for the gauge readings.  A far as I know if you can't get the auto calibration to work by moving the wedge up and down a few times you may have to get a new Lenco control box if the actuator have been replaced or I guess if the Lenco box can just go bad. 

I have a 2010 and it has a wedge sensor (no Lenco box), which is a little puck looking thing connected to the wedge with a sensor wire going to the Medallion box / Malivue.  My gauge quit and I tried for hours to try and calibrate it, the gauge was all over the place.  I searched around these forums and determined it must be the wedge sensor.  I called Bakes and they told me they were no longer available and no one including Malibu has them anymore and that I would have to think about getting a manual wedge.... I then called a Malibu parts shop in Utah and they had the sensor in stock.  It was around $200 but once I installed it, I was able to calibrate my wedge again.  With the sensor not working the computer would think the wedge was in the max position as long as it was down, so it was not really doing much of anything as it would always be in the minimum position.  Also if I used the presets to deploy the wedge the actuator motors would just keep running thinking the wedge needed to go down more.  That is how I initially discovered the problem as I heard the motors running and after getting back there determined it was the wedge motors.  I only run factory ballast and we could not figure out why we could not get a decent surf wave, which turned out to be the wedge would only deploy to the fully down / minimum position.