Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 and RI257 compare and contrast

DarkSide

23 minutes ago, Stevo said:

It’s ok little buddy, if you work hard and believe in yourself maybe one day, you’ll get to live in a real state.

Yes that culdesac in Commifornia is really something to aspire too. 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Dave,  

I understand what you were trying to show and it make sense and is a good starting point.  However does it really come as a surprise to people that Malibu is cheaper than Nautique and Mastercraft for compareable models.   This isn't really breaking news as it has pretty much always been this way.   

It comes as a huge surprise to me, because it is the exact opposite for me..... And not by a little. If I were to decide I wanted a 23LSV, it would cost me considerably more than my last G23, or my new XStar.

That said, I definitely know that is a complete fluke in this region. Both dealers are pretty firm at only 10-15% discounts. Probably the reason that my lake has 60-70 wake boats on it, and only one of them is a Malibu.

Back when I did buy a Malibu ('10 LSV). I had to buy a demo that was way out of territory. It was 40k cheaper than the best deal I could get locally, and only had 11 hours on it.........

1 minute ago, TenTwentyOne said:

It comes as a huge surprise to me, because it is the exact opposite for me..... And not by a little. If I were to decide I wanted a 23LSV, it would cost me considerably more than my last G23, or my new XStar.

That said, I definitely know that is a complete fluke in this region. Both dealers are pretty firm at only 10-15% discounts. Probably the reason that my lake has 60-70 wake boats on it, and only one of them is a Malibu.

Back when I did buy a Malibu ('10 LSV). I had to buy a demo that was way out of territory. It was 40k cheaper than the best deal I could get locally, and only had 11 hours on it.........

That's crazy and has to be an anomaly,   I think points to @bamaboy point on regional differences in pricing.   I wish I could get a G23 for the price of a 23 lsv around here.  

11 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Yes that calsac in Commifornia is really something to aspire too. 

Are you talking about CalSac youth enrichment program that provides services and training to underprivileged youths? Or did you misspell Classic? Based on your posts there can be ambiguity there.

10 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

That's crazy and has to be an anomaly,   I think points to @bamaboy point on regional differences in pricing.   I wish I could get a G23 for the price of a 23 lsv around here.  

Definitely. It's also a matter of the Nautique and MC dealers offering larger than typical discounts as well. Both things combined.....

3 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Are you talking about CalSac youth enrichment program that provides services and training to underprivileged youths? Or did you misspell Classic? Based on your posts there can be ambiguity there.

auto correct

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Would be a whole lot easier to compare prices and specs, if Malibu would post MSRP pricing, like most other boat companies. Then it would be easy to throw together some apples to apples builds, and see what the difference actually is.

(Doesn't seem Centurion does this either)

can help out here on the 23LSV and the 25LSV - tired of this as well

Base price 23LSV  108642
Base price 25LSV  125948

Any flake   1083

CS Bimini top 1632
shipping cover  375

Surf pipe   858
Heater   832
Sound system pack 4657
subwoofer/amp 933

Illusion tower color 583
Matching arch color 362

Malibu launch system 833
PNP plumbing 567
Surf gate 4500
Wedge II 3748

Deck trac  725
Seat heater 408
Power lift seat 902
Soft grip flooring 1425
Sport dash rotary dial  395

battery charger 300
Battery setup option 2  215
Dual batteries 440
Pull up cleats (3 pair) 600

Bow light popup (25LSV only) 280
Docking lights 585

Trailer straps 167
Transom step 300

What about engines, racks, tower speaks, trailer base price, etc.,

Got any of that?

No matter the brand, its crazy to me how much options add up. They can end up being almost as much as the boats base price!

Edited by TenTwentyOne
34 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

What about engines, racks, tower speaks, trailer base price, etc.,

Got any of that?

only partially and some from recalling from last year.  But first - trailer is included in basic boat price with Malibu - not like Nautique or MB Sports.  Supra includes the trailer as well.  However I know that my dealer put the trailer at around 7K for my 2017 23LSV.

Supercharged engine on the 25LSV (which comes standard with the 450 which again is in comparison to Supra prolly around 6K) was quoted net at 9500.  If you look at the Supra web site - the 440 is 6130 and the 575 is 18060.  If I look at MB pricing - the 440 is 7150, the 460 (odd ball but it does exist) is 9500 and the SC is 17000.

Rear view seat bench is around 1900 and flip up seats are around 1100 if I remember correctly.

Surf racks are ~2300 if I remember correctly - someone here can confirm this for sure.

Tower speaker pair last year were 1258 - option pricing increased by 2 - 3%

I think Malibu's pricing is misleading for any non-waterski boat because w/o wedge, ballast (and additional PNP) and gates - you ain't surfing and have little fun wakeboarding.  You  ski but I would assume that you then would opt for a different model than a 23/25LSV or 22/24MXZ for that matter.  Mastercraft doesn't seem to be much better in that area?

From my 2017 invoice. In MSRP!

Base  130,910

Surf prop 71

Flake 428/per location

Hull black 714

Deck base black 357

Tower accent 785

Dash accent 214

Gator Step 1857

Gator Step seat bases 561

Downfire Audio (sub/tower/led lights) 6179

Speaker covers 114

Clamping racks 2785

PNP rear 2243 (includes bags and reversible pumps)

Quick surf Pro 2214

Silent stinger (FAE) 612

Boat cover (towable) 1143

Slide seat lean back 300/each

Bow filler cushion 543

Ice breaker (heater/heated seat) 1086

Limo lights 235

PTM mirror 286

2nd battery/charger 329

Spare tire under mount 265

Spare tire 387

Loading lights (runway) 357

Boarding steps 155

Boarding ladder (front) 408

Grow boating fee 82

Shipping 1800

Total MSRP 158,719.  

Prices surely increased but I don't think they changed that dramatically.  ( Things like Ram Fill, CATS, Triple Axle trailer were standard features)

Edited by DarkSide
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

From my 2017 invoice. In MSRP!

Base  130,910

Surf prop 71

Flake 428/per location

Hull black 714

Deck base black 357

Tower accent 785

Dash accent 214

Gator Step 1857

Gator Step seat bases 561

Downfire Audio (sub/tower/led lights) 6179

Speaker covers 114

Clamping racks 2785

PNP rear 2243 (includes bags and reversible pumps)

Quick surf Pro 2214

Silent stinger (FAE) 612

Boat cover (towable) 1143

Slide seat lean back 300/each

Bow filler cushion 543

Ice breaker (heater/heated seat) 1086

Limo lights 235

PTM mirror 286

2nd battery/charger 329

Spare tire under mount 265

Spare tire 387

Loading lights (runway) 357

Boarding steps 155

Boarding ladder (front) 408

Grow boating fee 82

Shipping 1800

Total MSRP 158,719.  

Prices surely increased but I don't think they changed that dramatically.  ( Things like Ram Fill, CATS, Triple Axle trailer were standard features)

Which brings for the question of the hour...how does that relate to what you actually paid?

1 minute ago, carguy79ta said:

what is the total dollars per hour of work not being done because we are all following this thread?

I got two tabs going so I'm breaking even, 1 work 1 tmc 

1 hour ago, 05hammerhead said:

Which brings for the question of the hour...how does that relate to what you actually paid?

Well 2 parts first it shows that no way your getting 25% off like you can with a Malibu.  Most of the options are priced realistically, instead of inflated then discounted.  Look through the lists and see comparable items flake 1083/428, surf system 4500/2214, FAE 858/612, battery&charger 955/325, etc. So as the items are already priced accordingly, there is no room for deep discounts.  This is not a knock on BU, it is simply a different marketing strategy.   

Second price and discount rate is a function of the total deal.  I.e. trade valuation, purchase price, etc.  Here you only pay sales tax on the delta of trade vs purchase.  So if you sell on your own (max trade), then you pay tax on 100% of the purchase.   With tax 8.2% this can easily be $10,000.   So Centurion dealer offered significantly more for trade, than other dealers,  but the discount on the  new boat was less than if I had no trade.  (They gotta make money somewhere.)   Realistically I know they actually lost money on my trade.  

All that said I would expect discount of less than 15%, with a 10%-13% much more likely.  Especially as they are not having problems selling 257's.   I do also know if you check EVERY box you can get MSRP over 190K.  

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

Well 2 parts first it shows that no way your getting 25% off like you can with a Malibu.  Most of the options are priced realistically, instead of inflated then discounted.  Look through the lists and see comparable items flake 1083/428, surf system 4500/2214, FAE 858/612, battery&charger 955/325, etc. So as the items are already priced accordingly, there is no room for deep discounts.  This is not a knock on BU, it is simply a different marketing strategy.   

Second price and discount rate is a function of the total deal.  I.e. trade valuation, purchase price, etc.  Here you only pay sales tax on the delta of trade vs purchase.  So if you sell on your own (max trade), then you pay tax on 100% of the purchase.   With tax 8.2% this can easily be $10,000.   So Centurion dealer offered significantly more for trade, than other dealers,  but the discount on the  new boat was less than if I had no trade.  (They gotta make money somewhere.)   Realistically I know they actually lost money on my trade.  

All that said I would expect discount of less than 15%, with a 10%-13% much more likely.  Especially as they are not having problems selling 257's.   I do also know if you check EVERY box you can get MSRP over 190K.  

I posted this awhile back as my experience with building/quoting an RI and fi was inline with 10-13% off msrp and @TenTwentyOne and someone else told me that They were quoted over 20% off msrp when they priced centurions. Too lazy to dig up the posts but bottom line is pricing seems to vary widely. 

8 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

^ That was the case for me. Still a lower percentage than I typically see on a MC or CC, but it did break 20%.

Just curious did MSRP data match mine or was it inflated?   Do you work with high volume dealer, where they get better factory pricing?

12 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Just curious did MSRP data match mine or was it inflated?   Do you work with high volume dealer, where they get better factory pricing?

I’ll take a look later on and see what it was. Based on your posted prices for certain options, it is definitely clear that some margins are less compared to what was posted for Bu. Probably the easiest to spot, is the clamping racks. They are the same exact thing, and there looks to be a pretty big difference in MSRP.

As for the dealer, I’m not really sure. I believe they move quite a few, but they aren’t close to me. I had some interest in trying out a Ri257, but decided not to look into it much further, only because the closest dealer is 150 miles away from me. (SC is within 2 miles of my house, and MC, CC, and Bu are all within about 30-40 miles). Just too far away to do Centurion, but I’m guessing with a territory that big, they sell a few. I have seen a couple new Ri237s in the area last fall, so somebody is going that far to get them.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
5 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

I’ll take a look later on and see what it was. Based on your posted prices for certain options, it is definitely clear that some margins are less. Probably the easiest to spot, is the clamping racks. They are the same exact thing, and there looks to be a pretty big difference in MSRP.

Yes,  something doesn't make sense.  I mean 20% off the sheet I have and you would have been in the 120's.  Last boat show season they were averaging mid 140's.   

On a different note you got your X-star yet?  Sweet boat!  Curious how it compares to your G23's.

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

Yup, and a hell of an investment 

You sir ....are.the.man 

everyone knows on this site the only thing worth investing in is crypto.  The USD and all other assets will be worthless once the next recession hits. 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown