Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 and RI257 compare and contrast

DarkSide

On 7/10/2017 at 4:35 PM, DarkSide said:

The BT is very good with the RI, it connects everytime and is simple to change devices. 

As for fuel economy, the H6 is great.   I am using significantly less fuel than the LSA in my MXZ.  I am not sure how Raptor 575 does vs. LSA.  The H6 also runs on anything, even 87 octane.   I still use premium, but it only requires 87.  My worst fuel day ever has been 62 gallons.  I have used over 100 gallons in my MXZ before.    The transmission ratio are different for H6 vs. LSA, 1.72 for H6 and 1.5 for LSA, so there is not enough upside to order LSA with the RI.  It really only gets you better top speed and lower RPM's.  As for pulling power low end torque is almost identical due to the tranny difference. 

Hopefully we can do this again next year, it was so much fun.  

The 575 in my M235 witb 1100 lbs of pnp, wedge, and a torque prop 17x14 going 11.4-12 mph guzzles 12 gph on average.  The wave is worth it!  I also love that I can go 30 plus when we need to go to a new location  without draining anything.  FYI emptying the Ms center tank takes forever. Fills relatively fast with massive fill pump but trickles out with a regular pump on the way home.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, potterm said:

The 575 in my M235 witb 1100 lbs of pnp, wedge, and a torque prop 17x14 going 11.4-12 mph guzzles 12 gph on average.  The wave is worth it!  I also love that I can go 30 plus when we need to go to a new location  without draining anything.  FYI emptying the Ms center tank takes forever. Fills relatively fast with massive fill pump but trickles out with a regular pump on the way home.

17x14?? Was it struggling with the stock prop?

I would have thought that 575 wouldn't have any problem at all with the 2:1 and 17x19...... I think I'd hate listening to the engine rev that high all the time.

7 hours ago, potterm said:

I honestly normally burn about half that, I am in the 5-7 GPH range.  The cruise speed doesn't normally bug me because I have very small lakes.  If I were on a bigger lakes regularly I would want the bigger engine for the 30 MPH cruise, 40MPH top speed.  For our small lakes, the  $10k for a engine upgrade just isn't worth it.  

I don't mind filling/draining as we move around because it is so fast.  Sub 30 seconds  to fill, about 45 seconds to drain.  

I have a different prop that works fairly well, 16x15 vs. the 16x13 I have on there.   It gets me an extra 4 mph, but at 2200' I it struggles with full ballast AND large crew.   Small crew it does fine, large crew I let out a couple hundred pounds and it works fine.  It just boggs down the engine too much in the fully loaded large crew scenario, WOT is 4300 rpm, it can't spin it any faster, so too much prop. With 16x13, there are no weight limitations that I have found. 

@potterm you will have to join us at least one day on Norris next year, you are close right?

• Like 1
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:37 PM, NAW said:

Sorry man, I hope you didn't take my comment as 'your boat sucks' or that you're being bamboozled.  It just an observation that I've seen from all manufacturers in this space.  

Nonetheless, I don't have 'sales pitches' and I don't think anyone is scared of a little competition.   

However, I think anyone can agree that in most industries, rarely will a low single digit (and declining) share player have the 15, 20 or 30% share players scared.

Arrogance much?????:yes:

Declining huh?.......Not last I checked. You just keep that mind set. We have all seen it before, you know .... "TO BIG TO WORRY ABOUT IT " huh? In this fickle market the one thing is certain...CHANGE.

That's what we are seeing RIGHT NOW. Keep littering the classified with all your unsold inventory......

Cmon man, I don't even own a boat right now, much less enough to post on classifieds.

market share is market share, I can't make up the data.

But, no need to derail Joe's thread anymore. 

25 minutes ago, Bawshogg said:

Arrogance much?????:yes:

Declining huh?.......Not last I checked. You just keep that mind set. We have all seen it before, you know .... "TO BIG TO WORRY ABOUT IT " huh? In this fickle market the one thing is certain...CHANGE.

That's what we are seeing RIGHT NOW. Keep littering the classified with all your unsold inventory......

Seriously, you could dial it back a little.  Half of your posts lately are just arguing with other people on how you know something the rest of us don't.  Everyone gets it, you love your boat and you'll fight for it like it's your first born child.

The Ri series IS a really nice boat.

• Like 2

@tjklein Really Homie? I haven't said two words about my boat. I know better than to come on here bragging how in love I am with my boat... not the correct venue.  Look back through this thread....its an EXACT example of this.

@NAW wants to play passive aggressive with me...  and maybe this spills over from a few of the other threads....buuuuuuuT,  he started with the pop shots, and I'm allowed to pop right back. In FACT he came back and edited his post to INCLUDE that P/A ness.

Not sure what boat I'll have, but I will make it a priority to be at this event with boat in tow.

Arkansas has amazing lakes and is pretty central to everyone!!

Are we going to start and EVENT thread?????

On 7/14/2017 at 6:33 AM, TenTwentyOne said:

17x14?? Was it struggling with the stock prop?

I would have thought that 575 wouldn't have any problem at all with the 2:1 and 17x19...... I think I'd hate listening to the engine rev that high all the time.

No,  my dealer ordered it that way for us because he knows us a little to well.  

IMG_5590.jpg

Just now, potterm said:

No,  my dealer ordered it that way for us because he knows us a little to well.  

IMG_5590.jpg

Even still...... I'd think it was propped way too low with that engine. You'll obviously have no problem moving that extra ballast, but for what it's worth, I jumped up to a 17x19.5 on my G with a 2:1/550 and tested it with over 5k total ballast. It will still hit wakeboard speed in less than 15 seconds and burns about half as much fuel as you are burning. I would think the M would have similar results with that driveline, and you could save a lot of fuel and not have to listen to the engine revving so high all the time.

plus you'd probably have a top speed of 44ish, so cruising at 30 would be nice and quiet.

12 hours ago, DatTexasBoy said:

Not sure what boat I'll have, but I will make it a priority to be at this event with boat in tow.

Arkansas has amazing lakes and is pretty central to everyone!!

Are we going to start and EVENT thread?????

Thread is already started.  "TMC Lake Fest 2018".  Sign up on the Google Doc in the first post!  We (I) will get serious about planning the logistical details after Wake the World here in Wisconsin, which is on August 3rd.

Edited by BadgerBoater55
On 7/14/2017 at 1:20 AM, potterm said:

Take that prop off and put a 17x17 on the boat. You will be very happy!

• 6 months later...

Respectfully your greatly missing the boat on the wave.  When you add 700 - 1000 lbs to the M235 bow, the wave explodes.  Especially when you run around 11.7 on speed.  I have been running the last 2 year LSV23's with 1100 front, 1100, center, and 2 x 750's rear and it was the best wave on the water until the M235.  The M235 wave can be as long, tallest on the water by a foot, and the only barrel / wall I have ever surfed.  If you are really into surfing, and if the M fits your budget, don't buy anything until you surf the M235 setup right.  

22 minutes ago, Gusto said:

Respectfully your greatly missing the boat on the wave.  When you add 700 - 1000 lbs to the M235 bow, the wave explodes.  Especially when you run around 11.7 on speed.  I have been running the last 2 year LSV23's with 1100 front, 1100, center, and 2 x 750's rear and it was the best wave on the water until the M235.  The M235 wave can be as long, tallest on the water by a foot, and the only barrel / wall I have ever surfed.  If you are really into surfing, and if the M fits your budget, don't buy anything until you surf the M235 setup right.  

Quite honestly, that's a lot of the reason that I have stayed away from another Bu over the last 7 years....... having to fill a bow bag, and lose the bow of the boat? I hated having to do that......

That statement alone would make me love the 25LSV just that much more, especially at 30k less money. Love that boat, and no need for a bow bag to get its best wave.

I know the M doesn't "need" the bag. I got a chance to surf one last summer on stock ballast and PnP. It was a really nice wave. The boat was riding fairly "nose high", and working pretty hard, but definitely not that bad..... I can see how some bow weight would have helped get the nose down and drop RPMs. But it didn't seem like it would need anything more than 400-500lbs.

As far as fuel economy and engines both companies and Nautique will be using the same motors in 2019. The H6 is a great engine. That plus the possibility of the Cobalt swim platform showing up on the Malibu”s will cause me to Upgrade!

1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Quite honestly, that's a lot of the reason that I have stayed away from another Bu over the last 7 years....... having to fill a bow bag, and lose the bow of the boat? I hated having to do that......

what's wrong with a front bag underneath the seats?  do you use the front storage area that much?

15 minutes ago, jtryon said:

what's wrong with a front bag underneath the seats?  do you use the front storage area that much?

There is a hard tank under the front seats. No room for additional ballast.

45 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

As far as fuel economy and engines both companies and Nautique will be using the same motors in 2019. The H6 is a great engine. That plus the possibility of the Cobalt swim platform showing up on the Malibu”s will cause me to Upgrade!

Care to elaborate?  I hope it's not the flip down platform.....

39 minutes ago, jtryon said:

What front storage?!?

edit- sailvi got it covered....

Edited by TenTwentyOne
3 hours ago, Gusto said:

If you are really into surfing, and if the M fits your budget, don't buy anything until you surf the M235 setup right.  

This is the challenge,  getting a demo in a boat that is set up the way you would have your own.   

Plus "Right" is different for different people.   I like the fact that aside from the lead bags I already had, I have spent less than $50 on boat upgrades.   Everything came from the factory.   

you can order the 257 with a bow sack that sets under the bow cushions. I did.  keeps the bow down with all of the stock 6150 lbs ballast plus 1000 lead.  the bow sack allows me to run the lead in the back. huge barreling wave.  see short 9 sec vid.