Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to cut ties with Malibu? 3rd and last 'Bu

ChainSetter

1 minute ago, COOP said:

When we pull tubers who ever is driving is always DRIVING, not looking back. And lets be honest, I see plenty of drivers pulling wakeboarders or surfers looking back over their shoulder as well. Hell, I see many times one driver and one boarder/surfer no spoter except the driver. We have spotters even for the tubers, even if we are turning or doing 360s. And we ALWAYS are aware of any other boaters around us. 

I totally agree, but the difference is they tend to drive in a straight line so I can easily avoid them...thanks for being one of the good guys though.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, formulaben said:

FWIW, I hate tubing for a handful of reasons, but easily the #1 reason is that as I'm towing someone (and trying to hold a straight line) I have no idea where this tubing bozo is going because they're too busy randomly making hard left and right turns or even 360s all the while looking backwards at their kids instead of looking forward as the driver should be doing.

It makes my stomach sick to even type this, but we had some arse-clown miss my 6 yr old by less than 15 feet at 30mph doing this on a completely open lake.  He was pulling his 16-18 yr old sons and decided to make a b-line at us to take advantage of our wake.  He turned to watch his kids go over the wake and never looked forward.  I was pulling my kiddo on a wakeboard trainer at 11mph.  As he turned directly towards my wake, my 6 yr old fell off.  All four adults in my boat were screaming at the guy and he barely missed him.  There wasn't enough time to put our boat in between them and by the grace of God, he missed him.  We were on lake Cumberland, so he had 2000 yards of water to choose from, but decided to pick the 20 sq feet we were in.  It was a Thursday and the lake was deserted.  Had he not turned towards us, we had 60 yards between us, which is too close with that much open water on a Thursday, but not dangerous in my mind, so I didn't register the initial danger.  Everyone stood up to yell and I couldn't whip the boat into a turn to get him safe.  It was awful, with all the kids and parents in the boat screaming at the other driver and crying at the same time.  The kids learned quite a few new words that day.  Luckily from a trauma standpoint, my 6 yr old was oblivious and not impacted.  The rest of us took that time to park, turn on the tunes and partake in an adult soda. 

Your more of a man than I  am,  I would have boarded his Boat and that would have been the last time he ran that close to someone. I would have made sure that every time he got back in the boat he would think about it. What an idiot. Hard to drive with arms in casts. 

• Like 3

I might idle a tuber around. Tha'd be about it. The LAST thing I'm gonna do is tow one, whipping around, sending rollers everywhere within a mile. Not gonna happen. Frankly, I couldn't get far enough away for a tuber boat. I am a slalom, barefoot snob for sure.

Steve B.

It is without question, the worst thing I have ever witnessed on the water, and I've seen someone get pulled over the front of a pontoon, several different people require stitches, etc.  To feel that helpless was awful.  I'd guess partly because it was my child and partly because we were put into a stupid situation, not one we manufactured for ourselves.  We were being very safe. 

I'll be honest guys, those thoughts all entered my mind.  If everyone in the entire boat hadn't been as shaken up as they were, I probably would have chased the bastard down.  I didn't want to make it anymore traumatic on them than it already was.  I wasn't sure if any of them would ever get in the water again.  The guy is really lucky I didn't have my CC on me as I probably would have sent a shot across the bow.  I'd be lying if I said we didn't look for his boat all weekend on the lake and at the marina.

Edited by JeffK

So we all got off topic.. lol.. but since we are ;)

I don't pull a tube often (last time was probably 4 years ago, but I do see it coming up again in my near future)... But when I do ... I don't do it where others are skiing, footing, wakeboarding, or surfing... If I pull a tuber.. I take them out to main lake where water is crap anyways... 

I have a friend that pulls a tube every time we go out.. it keeps his daughter happy... and his setup is really not that bad... he pulls from tower (rope is tied off on regular side) and we surf on goofy side... so the kids have fun while we have fun :) (if 10 mph on a tube is fun ;) )

The last time I pulled tubers.. two grown @$$ men in there 50's.. gave them adult beverages and a cruise lol... 

Still thinking of breaking tube out for the camera person to sit in for capturing shots of wake boarding and surfing...

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Lets get this one back on topic. Start another thread about tubing if you feel the need.

I agree, I'm still waiting for "all" the details. Cmon @ChainSetter spill it 

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
On 3/23/2018 at 3:11 PM, bamabonners said:

Since I was mentioned directly, debate rules state that I get a 3 minute rebuttal.

1) I don't even own a Malibu.  I just hang around to poke the bears and enjoy the boat talk.  I used to have some connections in the industry, but not anymore since I stopped buying boats like gallons of milk... Therefore, I add little value except for comic relief and opinions.

2) I've owned 3 Malibu products and was always vocal about how their QC could improve.

3) Dude, you hit a bridge.  That's not like pulling a tube or a fat skier from the tower.  That bridge absorbed nothing... all the shock from that impact all went into the tower and the support around it.  Malibu will make it right, chill out.  If not, sell it and move on to another brand.

#3 is classic,  “Malibu WILL make it right.......If NOT.....

Poke them bears.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:54 AM, Pra4sno said:

I don't tube out of my boat.    

I don't have a tower or room for a tube.  Heck, on an echelon it gets cramped if you bring too many towels.  

Thats funny! Not enough room on that boat to change your mind.

On 3/20/2018 at 8:54 AM, Pra4sno said:

I don't tube out of my boat.    

I don't have a tower or room for a tube.  Heck, on an echelon it gets cramped if you bring too many towels.  

Ha!  My buddy has a direct drive and he calls his 4 person tube his "addition". He's a contractor so that's his lingo for the extra space it creates at the tie up spot. 

23 hours ago, Choiceind said:

Thats funny! Not enough room on that boat to change your mind.

It's why slalom skiing was invented.  We didn't have room on malibu ski boats for two skis per person.  :lol:

2 hours ago, isellacuras said:

Ha!  My buddy has a direct drive and he calls his 4 person tube his "addition". He's a contractor so that's his lingo for the extra space it creates at the tie up spot. 

Haha, good idea!  We were looking into getting the small lily pad as rolled up it fits on the ski deck - but realized we almost only go to ski and then get out before it gets too busy!

1 hour ago, Pra4sno said:

Haha, good idea!  We were looking into getting the small lily pad as rolled up it fits on the ski deck - but realized we almost only go to ski and then get out before it gets too busy!

It actually works well. He has it while we're tied up but when it's time to ride, he leaves it anchored in the cove. Keeps our spot for us.