Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to cut ties with Malibu? 3rd and last 'Bu

ChainSetter

That wrap above is crazy !  Back to gel cracks.  I bought my first Nautique back in 85 ish. Spider cracks. Our crew was on their promo program for years. Spider cracks. Every one of them. My sisters MC. Spider cracks. My Malibu's. Spider cracks. They may not be easily visible because of interior covering them, or incredibly minor around various screw holes, but I think just about every gel coat boat has them. Somewhere.

Steve B.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, alpensurf23 said:

Tired of seeing gel coat cracking? Wanna try something other than Malibu? Wanting a picture that solves this and will make you feel better? :cheers:

IMG_0536.JPG

That is freaking gorgeous..

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The Hulk said:

If only you could get factory paint like that!!!!!

My guess is the factory probably could do something similar as well as lots of other things, but are simply geared up for what we see today.

Steve B.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:25 PM, The Hulk said:

Isn't gel extremely hard and brittle compared to the FG? Vibration and stress and flexing would surely be cause if top coat spider cracking I would think? Again why I worry around the Tower and top deck that flexes there.. so far so good on the new boat.

Previous 2013 suddenly had gel cracks around rudder, never hit anything, it would def be more visible in dark colors. Nothing structural.. and nobody sees this part of the boat...

20160712_062554.jpg

20160712_062202.jpg

Oh yeah.  You definitely hit something.  I've seen your cheeto ridden carpet

• Like 2
9 hours ago, ChainSetter said:

Nope. Good find tho you did some digging for that. I can send pictures if you can't bring yourself to believe that some Malibu boats are deep but all my cracks are around the rub rail. Zero by the tower. Nice try 

Actually no digging. It isn't every day someone posts about hitting a bridge. I saw your name on the thread and it rung a bell.

5 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I'm unbiased here but i gotta say, I could easily see spider cracks coming from the rub rail, many feet away from the tower being caused by a slow speed bridge impact like described. As i understand it, there are supports under the gunnel that would act as a lever and try to lift the two halves apart. That could easily create enough enough pressure to cause spider cracks. My guess is you're gonna have a tough time trying to get Malibu to stand behind that one. The thread detailing to impact will not help matters at all. Jus sayin. 

^this^ Giant lever. Especially when you add the height of the tower and the weight of the boat to the equation.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
1 hour ago, ChainSetter said:

On a different note isn't this site supposed to be a resource for people with problems and community of owners?  I know that's why I joined and paid the fee.  Or is it more of a post your problems and then defend your self to 23lsv, Bama, and IFXE. Funny some of the most helpful people on here Pete, Oldjeep etc. don't sit around and blame owners.  Its just the same old folks from this post. Funny how that works....

For the record, I think that hitting the bridge could have something to do with it.  Pretty easy to believe that the whole top cap got moved around/flexed from even a slow speed impact with that kind of leverage.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, ChainSetter said:

On a different note isn't this site supposed to be a resource for people with problems and community of owners?  I know that's why I joined and paid the fee.  Or is it more of a post your problems and then defend your self to 23lsv, Bama, and IFXE. Funny some of the most helpful people on here Pete, Oldjeep etc. don't sit around and blame owners.  Its just the same old folks from this post. Funny how that works....

The available facts have been exhausted so I suggest the issue be left to a qualified independent fiberglass tech.  Bridge or Malibu defect?, that is the question and no amount of posted verbiage is going to provide the answer.

Y'all keep talking about leverage and I agree to an extent. But think about a 300lb rider behind a boat at say 30 mph off the tower. Lot of leverage there also. And as far as a floating object bumping into a bridge, wouldn't majority of force go to pushing boat rear down into water? Just a good for thought. 

I mean even with Bimini deployed going 40 mph there is a lot of force exerted on the tower. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Y'all keep talking about leverage and I agree to an extent. But think about a 300lb rider behind a boat at say 30 mph off the tower. Lot of leverage there also. And as far as a floating object bumping into a bridge, wouldn't majority of force go to pushing boat rear down into water? Just a good for thought. 

I mean even with Bimini deployed going 40 mph there is a lot of force exerted on the tower. 

There would be a sharp shock load before the boat transom got pushed down. 

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

There would be a sharp shock load before the boat transom got pushed down. 

Yeah you agree would be a shock load, but not much at 4mph. 

My 2014 vlx had spider cracks all around tower bases and a few areas along rubrail. Always noticed them whe detailing but never got any bigger so didn't worry about them. 

6 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Yeah you agree would be a shock load, but not much at 4mph.

I bet if you put your head between the bridge and the tower you'd have a very different point of view...

10 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I'm unbiased here but i gotta say, I could easily see spider cracks coming from the rub rail, many feet away from the tower being caused by a slow speed bridge impact like described. As i understand it, there are supports under the gunnel that would act as a lever and try to lift the two halves apart. That could easily create enough enough pressure to cause spider cracks. My guess is you're gonna have a tough time trying to get Malibu to stand behind that one. The thread detailing to impact will not help matters at all. Jus sayin. 

Yep, agreed.

Edited by Brett B
1 hour ago, formulaben said:

I bet if you put your head between the bridge and the tower you'd have a very different point of view...

Well that's a pretty intelligent statement. 👍🏻

ahopkins22LSV

Fwiw, a repair to that is not that bad. A good glass guy can make it look like there was never a repair. I wouldn’t sweat that. 

Also, it may seem like everyone is not accepting that Malibu’s QC has gone down but as IXFE mentioned the vast majority of us have never had these type of issues. Malibu builds thousands of boats a year, the majority of them are built very well and have little to no issues. Your one case or even the few others on here do not warrant a decision on a companies QC control. Now also don’t take this as I’m saying it’s perfect, it’s not. And I might know a thing or two about QC. 

One last thing. I get the time can be frustrating to wait. But this is not a simple warranty review for Malibu like a blown speaker on delivery (example). They have to review all the facts and decide the best way and location to make the repair. I had a floor repair done last year and there was a month or two of waiting for them to get quotes from local shops, review them and make the best decision on to have one of them or ship the boat back to the factory for the repair. Again, idk how long it has been but I’d be leveraging the dealer to get answers out of Malibu as they have the best voice with them. 

• Like 3

I don’t have the cracking you describe. But I did need fiberglass repair on my boat. 

Brand new, when I first got it home in the garage, I noticed a bunch of small “pocks” in front of the windshield. There were obviously air pockets when they sprayed it. 

I worked with my dealer and a local fiberglass place and they fixed it. A bigger one appeared two years in. Fixed again. 

I’m picky about my boat. And you can’t tell where the repair happened. 

If you’re worried about quality of repair, you shouldn’t be. 

Edited by RyanB
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Oh yeah.  You definitely hit something.  I've seen your cheeto ridden carpet

Well I didn't,.. although it was outta my hands for numerous hours and weeks in various occasion 5+.. lots of run time not under me so have to consider that it may of happened off my watch.. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Fwiw, a repair to that is not that bad. A good glass guy can make it look like there was never a repair. I wouldn’t sweat that. 

I will attest to this statement.. I have had 2 underwater strikes.. 1st one caused gel cracking on rudder and the strut.. came back and could not tell... 2nd one sent prop into hull... came back and cannot tell.... 

gel coat repairs are quite common in boating, automobile, aerospace, etc...

• Like 2