Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to cut ties with Malibu? 3rd and last 'Bu

ChainSetter

Just a general statement on all new boats,  not picking on Malibu....

Maybe it's some sort of Stockholm syndrome we develop due to the prices we pay or maybe some of us have too high of expectations, but I am of the mindset that hand built should equate to better quality.  Seems that we use that as an excuse instead of a selling point,  which seems backwards to me. 

I've been fortunate enough to not have any major issues on any of my boats,  but I don't put near the hours on that most of you guys.

Edited by bamabonners

I have owned mastercraft , nautique and 3 malibu's ! all of them have their problems .The reason I stick with Malibu is the wakes and waves are perfect for all our crew ! From beginners to pros and most of all their warranty is by far the best ! My old mastercraft took 2 months to get warranty !!!  And my  G23 .. needed to be off the water and wait 3 weeks for shafts that snapped to be replaced ( twice) !!  At least with Malibu the warranty is quick and easier to sell .

• Like 3

I still believe Malibu is the best boat out there as far as fit and finish go, but like @bamabonners said above, when "Hand built" is the selling feature you expect quality and pride in their work.

almost every person in this thread has mentioned what they have found in their Bu's, perhaps we should start a new thread for exactly this........"what kind of gift did your Malibu leave you". 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

I still believe Malibu is the best boat out there as far as fit and finish go, but like @bamabonners said above, when "Hand built" is the selling feature you expect quality and pride in their work.

almost every person in this thread has mentioned what they have found in their Bu's, perhaps we should start a new thread for exactly this........"what kind of gift did your Malibu leave you". 

:lol:

2 hours ago, jcon44 said:

This could be a big part of the price increases buyers are seeing every year, Malibu is spending thousands on new tools every week!  :lol:

"Shop Consumables" maybe.......I know some projects I work on all of the tools (crib) are priced into each job.......

Finding a bunch of stuff in the bilge of my axis is not a big deal to me. I want the costs down and don't need a tech spending a half hour fishing a dropped bolt out of my boat. 

4 hours ago, vanamp said:

Finding a bunch of stuff in the bilge of my axis is not a big deal to me. I want the costs down and don't need a tech spending a half hour fishing a dropped bolt out of my boat. 

Just hope it's a dropped bolt and not one that has backed out

On 10/3/2017 at 8:14 PM, malibu.c.c said:

I have owned mastercraft , nautique and 3 malibu's ! all of them have their problems .The reason I stick with Malibu is the wakes and waves are perfect for all our crew ! From beginners to pros and most of all their warranty is by far the best ! My old mastercraft took 2 months to get warranty !!!  And my  G23 .. needed to be off the water and wait 3 weeks for shafts that snapped to be replaced ( twice) !!  At least with Malibu the warranty is quick and easier to sell .

This sounds more like a dealer issue.  

On 10/3/2017 at 8:35 PM, DarkSide said:

Every boat will have some issues.  You just have to look at the quantity and severity of those issues and how they are handled.  

I broke a serpentine belt this morning. My dealer sent a guy to the lake, to replace the belt on the water!   So EXCELLENT customer service!   

Dealers can make or break the experience.  I am always quick to point this out when someone is comparison shopping 2 brands.  Which dealer is going to treat you right when the crap hits the fan?  

Edited by TallRedRider
14 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Dealers can make or break the experience.  I am always quick to point this out when someone is comparison shopping 2 brands.  Which dealer is going to treat you right when the crap hits the fan?  

Exactly, my current dealer has no aspirations of huge volumes, they are happy to remain small and truly take care of the customer's they have.  Small family owned dealership, literally 3 generations working the floor/shop everyday!

@ChainSetter any updates.  Did the boat stabilize?  Still having issues?

Edited by DarkSide
  • Like 2

Yeah, mine has been in the shop for half of every season almost. already on the 3rd engine....back in the shop and season over a month ago with potentially another blown engine. 2012 MXZ with closed cooling. the boat has a new issues everytime I go out....right now the dealer is working with Indmar and Malibu to figure out whats up, i told them i have had it with this boat. 5 years and only 240 hours. My Tige I put 270 hours on the first year, and over 700 in 4 years, hardly any issues. Lets see what the dealer does, if not, hell will break loose if I have to pay for a new engine and a boat that barely works half the time.

On 7/8/2017 at 1:07 PM, sy1616 said:

My new 2016 VTX20 is more or less crap.  Amazing for $115k.  Soooooo many issues.  Talking with dealer now about how to handle, time for Malibu to get involved.

in first 45 hours.

fault center tank pump

faulty screen

faulty I/O card

stuck wedges

rear bilge pump bad

nav lights not working

center windscreen actually went under DS screen, 

both consel heater hoses are off

etc. etc

also have found at least 10-15 misc screws/washers/ caps in boat, under carpet, in and around seats, etc.  amazing!  Been to dealer min 7 times this summer.

my dealer if awesome however....saving grace for Malibu.

I had my small screen just replaced since it started to lock up and touch random spots by itself. Hose came off on the heater. Always finding big washers and nuts all over. They didnt use lock washers or lock nuts so i am sure this will keep happening.

I get a new swimplatform in about a month because of gelcoat issues, and slip pad is seperating.  Also the trailer has rust forming in many spots.

I think having a good service dept is #1.  My dealer is two hours away and so far it has ups and downs but they make it right. 

Edited by klingsdesigns
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 10:03 PM, Shillboat said:

I too have cracks in the gel coat around the tower.  I noticed there was a lot of flex in the fiberglass when I pulled down on the tower when I was shopping at the boat show and again right before I took delivery on my used 2014 with 49 hours.  The dealer denied repeatedly any fiberglass issues.  First rough water I babied the boat back to the marina.  When I got back - cracks around the tower.   Then I find out from reviewing the work orders from the dealer that the previous owner had the cracks repaired under warranty.   I have not discussed this yet with the dealer but will see them next wed.    

All summer long I have been dealing with engine codes revolving around fuel injection.   I also get a lot of powersurge messages with the surfgate.   This stuff is not rocket science.  We pay too much to not have these thing working better.  

Follow up -  The dealer is not going to pay for the fiberglass repair.  The tower sits on a thin piece of fiberglass.  Not nearly enough for the forward weight of the the tower.  It's not a problem pulling but bouncing.  The gel coat cracks even extend along the side of the boat, not just at the base of the tower.  The dealer contacted malibu and they are not going to help.  I can't tell you all how unfortunate this last season has been after being so excited to have a 2014 24' mxz.   I would like to connect with anyone else who has had fiberglass issues around the tower.  If there is another thread for this could someone send me the link? 

I have been thinking of getting a new 21vlx, reading this thread scares the crap out of me. Not sure if Axis is any better minus tech issues, but I'm sure all the assembly hardware is still the same.

the fiberglass on both my 2013 g3 and my 2016 g4 does move nar tower. more so with the 2016 g4 in a little windy day chop you can see it flexing the whole side gunnel. No issues yet but i agree it does need beefed up. seems crazy there is not a lot more support for the heavy tower given the weight stress and loads on it etc.. also the seats hanging from the top deck further pulling it down with weight of ppl in the seats will further pull down the top deck with bounce etc.. they should change to a full top deck mold to beef things up

52 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

the fiberglass on both my 2013 g3 and my 2016 g4 does move nar tower. more so with the 2016 g4 in a little windy day chop you can see it flexing the whole side gunnel. No issues yet but i agree it does need beefed up. seems crazy there is not a lot more support for the heavy tower given the weight stress and loads on it etc.. also the seats hanging from the top deck further pulling it down with weight of ppl in the seats will further pull down the top deck with bounce etc.. they should change to a full top deck mold to beef things up

That's exactly what's happening.  The 25 LSV was the last new boat introduction that wasn't a true two-piece design (i.e. one piece top deck).  Matter of fact... I think the 25 LSV and the 22 VLX are the only two left of the old design.  My guess is they will both be redesigned next year. 

Flip side is this... all the complaining (myself included) about all the exposed fiberglass in the new boats.  

• Like 4
ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

That's exactly what's happening.  The 25 LSV was the last new boat introduction that wasn't a true two-piece design (i.e. one piece top deck).  Matter of fact... I think the 25 LSV and the 22 VLX are the only two left of the old design.  My guess is they will both be redesigned next year. 

Flip side is this... all the complaining (myself included) about all the exposed fiberglass in the new boats.  

VTX is stilling remaining as well. 

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, IXFE said:

Good catch. Sorry I missed that one...

Don't forget about the little guys ;) 

It may be weird but it makes me feel a little happy that the TXi was updated to the new process before 3 of the wakesetters. :)

@Choiceind remember there are hundreds if not thousands of happy malibu and other boat owners out there that don't just come on here and start a thread of, "Man, my boat has been great. Little to no issues. Just wanted to let you guys all know." /end thread. 

So while there are issues and yes there is a risk that a new boat will have kinks to work out, regardless of manufacturer, if you have a good relationship with your dealer it will be fine. Or 21 VLX's are starting to hit the used market. Look for one with 50ish hours. It most likely has most of the new boat gremlins worked out. 

• 4 months later...

Hardwood though? 

I guess that surprises me, rather than using aluminum...... but I guess the boat will be out of warranty before it rots out, so Bu won't have to worry about it....

Either way, that's great news that they got you fixed up!

8 hours ago, Shillboat said:

Follow up on the follow up -  I spoke directly with the fiberglass guy the dealer uses.  He had not been made aware of how the crack originated without pulling anything or that I was concerned about a factory defect.  He came back out to asses the boat and discovered the fiberglass to be too thin (less than 1/4 inch) and some of the extra support was not lined up with the tower.  After he and the dealership spoke to Malibu, Malibu agreed to pay for the structural repair.  They adden a 1" thick 6' long piece of hardwood under the deck and fiberglassed around it. He also added fiberglass to the side wall for more support.   Feels solid now.   Very happy that Malibu owned their mistake and hopeful for the upcoming season. 

Malibu (maybe did but why not earlier) and the dealer did not step up.  They were embarrassed into it by a good sub contractor who was willing to lose business to be honest to the ultimate customer the boat owner .  He was working for dealer and not you so he put his business relationship at risk (not exactly since he may be best in area and each area doesn’t necessarily have more than 1 or 2 good fiberglass operations) snd you stated that dealer basically lied to you and hoped you didn’t read the work orders. 

i just learned that Boat City USA is no longer my area’s Malibu dealer .  Using there name now when I haven’t in the past just to be reasonable in my complaints about them which were not good.  They were a fishing and pleasure craft dealer and they treated these limousines like they were Ugos.  I always had to recover , fix, or have fixed the dirt or damage they did to my boat and Trailer when in their possession